List of member's knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
I like seeing what knives members have, helps me to discover new ones to look into and to see what others favorites are. I wish more people listed their knives. If you click on the member's avatar, then about, then knives and stones, you will see the list of knives.
Thanks all!

Mixed feelings on this one. It's easy enough for wanna-be thieves to figure out my name and address. Not sure I want to give them a shopping list as well -- that just makes it easier to decide if my house if worth the risk.

Maybe I’m too naive, but somehow I doubt that would-be thieves scope houses out by looking on KKF. And even if they do, it’s probably a given that any long term member on here has a lot of fancy knives (well, myself excluded) so I’m not sure how listing them would make things worse. 🤷

I’m a fan of listing knives, and have listed my minimal kit. Although probably it needs updating, since my kit is always changing.

Last edited:
Mixed feelings on this one. It's easy enough for wanna-be thieves to figure out my name and address. Not sure I want to give them a shopping list as well -- that just makes it easier to decide if my house if worth the risk.
I was totally on board with what you wrote, then opened your hyperlink (in your sig block) and saw all your goods to be taken. Good thing I'm honest :)

I'm with @WildBoar on this one. but people have to make their own choices. If you stick around here, pay attention, and learn how to use the search function, most of the truly useful information isn't hard to figure out. This is a wonderful community and many people are incredibly generous with their experience and expertise. I would hate to see KKF follow the path of some members of the Strava cycling community who basically drew a map to their houses and then were shocked that their multi-thousand dollar bikes were stolen.

I would hate to see KKF follow the path of some members of the Strava cycling community who basically drew a map to their houses and then were shocked that their multi-thousand dollar bikes were stolen.

What are the details here?

Edit: oh, I see. Someone (I think one person?) in that community had their bikes stolen and blamed it on the Strava app, which logs and makes public the routes they take, making it easy to figure out their home address.

gheez! how many kramers do you have? 😜

What are the details here?

Edit: oh, I see. Someone (I think one person?) in that community had their bikes stolen and blamed it on the Strava app, which logs and makes public the routes they take, making it easy to figure out their home address.

Strava is an app that many runners, cyclists, and triathletes use to track their performance. It uses GPS data to map routes, store mileage, elapsed times, elevation gain, etc. Some of the people that were cavalier about privacy paid the price. Edit: More than one.

Strava is an app that many runners, cyclists, and triathletes use to track their performance. It uses GPS data to map routes, store mileage, elapsed times, elevation gain, etc. Some of the people that were cavalier about privacy paid the price. More than one.

Maybe I’m just being cavalier here since I have < $2000 worth of knives. Breaking into any home on my block would likely yield similarly lucrative (if different) merchandise.

I was totally on board with what you wrote, then opened your hyperlink (in your sig block) and saw all your goods to be taken. Good thing I'm honest :)
Ha! -- I wish those were all mine. Although many of them were, due to the lack of makers actually sending me knifes to display for them...

One KKFer had a bunch of knives stolen from his shared apartment a few months back. Poop happens, but for me it seems best to minimize the potential -- especially for people with collections that go past $10k USD in value.

On a watch forum I frequent some members like to mention when they are heading off to vacation (and the spouse/ kids, too). Which basically tells the world no one will be at the house for a week. And of course many of them frequently mention the tens of thousands of dollars worth of watches they have. And in my few years on that form there have been several break-ins/ thefts.

Ha! -- I wish those were all mine. Although many of them were, due to the lack of makers actually sending me knifes to display for them...

One KKFer had a bunch of knives stolen from his shared apartment a few months back. Poop happens, but for me it seems best to minimize the potential -- especially for people with collections that go past $10k USD in value.

On a watch forum I frequent some members like to mention when they are heading off to vacation (and the spouse/ kids, too). Which basically tells the world no one will be at the house for a week. And of course many of them frequently mention the tens of thousands of dollars worth of watches they have. And in my few years on that form there have been several break-ins/ thefts.
Oh I agree. Knives, watches, guns...I'm a target, and it sounds like you too!

While I don't have anything to worry about because my knives are mostly entry level pieces, I can absolutely understand why better equipped members don't want to advertise their knife worth.

That being said, whenever I have been interested in learning about a particular knife, KKF members who have experience with that knife have always been forthright in sharing. No list was necessary. We like to talk about our collections!

I started participating in forums with hunting guns and sporting dogs. While many would talk of their experiences with different guns and brag just a little, cataloging them just wasn't done.

I started participating in forums with hunting guns and sporting dogs. While many would talk of their experiences with different guns and brag just a little, cataloging them just wasn't done.
There may be a different reason that people don’t list guns since some people think they may someday be taken away from them. I personally don’t feel that way but many do.

I’m guilty of being too lazy to fill that out completely when I joined the forum. Plus we all buy and sell so much. Some of us would have to be updating that list a few times a week 😅

I owned an alarm company for 35 years and all I can tell people is everyone is should have a security system. It doesn’t have to be fancy and it doesn’t even need to be monitored. But you should have something that makes noise if someone breaks into your home. Most burglars are opportunists and are not at all sophisticated. It’s highly unlikely that someone is on a forum like this trying to figure out where you live and what you have to steel.

It's threads like this that don't help my paranoia. It's good to hear it's at least somewhat justified

Latest posts

Back