Lists in knives and sharpening gear. - why not list?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucasFur

Warrior of Jarhead clan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little question.
Why do very few people list all their knives in the "knives and sharpening gear" section of their page?

I list mine in full so when i discuss a subject people can see where i am coming from, for Eg. i know nothing about single bevels. But you can see in mine that i have tried a lot of different steels. And when i started, i always wanted to see if somebody liked a knife i already had how they liked another i was thinking about.

I also love seeing what people have/ had and how collections grow or shrink and to see what people really enjoy. for example sometimes seeing the same knife being sold, or having some that a lot of people have and never sell.

Now, why are there so many people that dont share their lists? but we are (almost all) obsessive types, who probably have excel spreadsheets listing what we own and websites to remember etc.

Thank you to those who fully list your gear, i hope you guys can get all your dream knives and stones and to those that dont i ask why?

-Lucas

Good question. Wondered the same and put it down to laziness maybe?

I don't know how to reply without coming off as a bit of a jerk, which is not my intention.

In a relatively short amount of time I've been fortunate to build up what I think is a pretty decent collection of knives and stones.

But I'm just an enthusiastic home cook. It seems wrong to me on some level that I can afford what a lot of actual pro's in the industry cannot.

I used to be active on a few BBQ forums and a lot of the guys there have all their BBQ'ing gear listed as their sigs. Not just the BBQ's but thermometers everything. And it's not done braggingly or as oneupmanship, it's done for Lucas' reasons; "oh I see you've got a such and such, what's it like?"

I'm not suggesting we go that far but it's interesting being able to see at a glance the gear that people are using to BBQ on. It's also reassuring whenever you're starting to feel that you've gone too far to see someone else's list who has far, far more gear than you have and be reassured that there is someone who is more obsessed than you!

most other forums I've been these are listed in their signature or bottom of profile, even through regular thread conversation it helps to reference these, as opposed to go back and forth to another thread. But also feel this is/was a humblish place and may still be, so some may feel is more bragging that anything.

But I'm also quite lazy

I don't want people to know how small it is... the collection of course, the collection... :p

I have tried, in the past, to keep up with it but what I have changes too often. As such I list what I know is a staple and not going anywhere.

I did mine a couple years ago, quite a few things have changed since. A few things have moved on to other owners but I've acquired a lot more than has moved on. I guess me it's laziness, and shyness.

I did it on one of the few times I've used KKF on a computer, unable to update it via app. So mine is a weird time capsule that I'd love to occasionally update

For what did I build a bunker in the garden to hide my stuff, if my wife and our tax officer could find everything listed in here? [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

As I began on KKF, I actually listed everything I owned in the way of steels and stones, including all the embarrassing stuff (supermarket knives, Kiwis, sharpening steels, Furis, Arkansas novaculites, Chinese carborundums, Wusthoffs, Mundials, Globals, Lansky & Furitech "systems" and my one and only carbon J-knife - a humble, santoku-shaped Tojiro.

I populated my profile and created a fairly comprehensive list in My Knives & Sharpening Gear, even updating it a couple of times. Over time, I realised that not many others did the same and fairly soon, I decided to abandon it all and deleted my entry. I will rethink my position after reading this thread.

It's certainly not laziness... like the OP said, most of us already have spreadsheets listing all our excesses... err.. purchases. How could an Obsessive/Compulsive type not have a spreadsheet?

There's a bit of what TheCaptain said that resonates with me... I've got more accumulated (and under-utilised) than many professionals. Truth be told, I'm not even that enthusiastic about cooking ATM. Sad really. I'm retired and buying knives and stones because I like to try them out and I'm not driven by need. Seeing other people's lists that are much larger does not make me feel better for long - rather it makes me desire even more things that I don't need. Hence, it fuels my obsession rather than placating it, or at least letting me feel "It's OK... I have this under control." Clearly, I don't!

I personnally enjoy experiencing different knives over showing them off. I would like to see a list of the knives people have previously owned AND in their current line up, ideally in order of experience. The journey is so varied for many of us!

Example, I'd love to know the knives that Zweber had tried before landing on Shigefusa, and creating a beautiful collection!

1. Lazyness (would need to dig up 6+ years of info to find all the info, especially for some of the stones)

2. Don't want to provide a shopping list for potential burglars.

The captain: so you can afford to spend money on knives. There are no professional watch users, but the collectors have hundreds of thousands invested.

Anton: about bragging, I guess it could turn into that. But I don't see private collections of anything else being a bragging item, as more of a sense of pride.

Jon: you have to be careful about what you endorse. Self promoting, and making some makers have multi year backlogs

K186zra: listing your keepers is a fantastic idea. It shows what you like.

Marek07: " I'm retired and buying knives and stones because I like to try them out and I'm not driven by need. Seeing other people's lists that are much larger does not make me feel better for long - rather it makes me desire even more things that I don't need. Hence, it fuels my obsession rather than placating it, or at least letting me feel "It's OK... I have this under control." Clearly, I don't!"

So seeing what people like most for stones and such would help you with what you may want to try out in the future. You may talk to the right guy who says don't waste your money. Example conversation: I like fujiwara denka but want to try a zkramer. / What do you like about the denka? / Convex grind& thinness . / Don't buy the zkramer.
If your on these forums your here to learn, and learning is a journey.
People in the industry should be able to talk to big collectors and know what their dream knife is going to be.
Watches, razors, BBQ's, coin collectors.
Also, I would presume professionals just want to get the job done. How many military personelle use a Patek on the field? They use a Casio to rough up and get the job done.

I should also add there are 2 knives and one stone that I can never remember the names of and I don't want to put up question marks.

e.g.

White #2 180 Petty Maker = ??? ...... But it's a great knife though.

Used to list--then started getting "you aren't a pro you don't deserve those knives" comments. Deleted list and photos. Too many whackos out there.

I should also add there are 2 knives and one stone that I can never remember the names of and I don't want to put up question marks.

e.g.

White #2 180 Petty Maker = ??? ...... But it's a great knife though.
Sounds like this is another good reason for keeping such a list, if you can't fully trust your memory.

Back