Looking at getting a laser

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kfergu10

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have essentially been beating a dead horse mulling over all of my knife options. I guess I should go ahead and ask for some recommendations just to muddy the waters further haha.
I am hoping to find a laser. I prefer carbon steel, and I draw cut and chop mostly. Like the Shibata kotetsu just for the fine kiritsuke style tip, but don't know enough about R2 to feel comfortable.

R2 steel is the same as sg2 (supergold 2), when its prelaminated to make a damascus blade its called sg2 and when its not its called r2. Its stainless steel.
Its very hard and feel hard and not smeary on the stones. Takes a long time to sharpen. Very wear resistant.

If you use it long enough you will most likely find that the mode of dulling is by microchipping, whereas some other very common lower alloyed stainless like aus6, aus8, aeb-l / gin-5 / 13c26 (same thing), 19c27 / gin-3 (same thing), vg2, vg5 are more likely to not chip out, instead they simply round off at the very edge.

This is the usual tradeoff with high wear resistant steels.

Takamura 210 is just perfect. Tho it has a western handle

R2 steel is the same as sg2 (supergold 2), when its prelaminated to make a damascus blade its called sg2 and when its not its called r2. Its stainless steel.
Its very hard and feel hard and not smeary on the stones. Takes a long time to sharpen. Very wear resistant.

If you use it long enough you will most likely find that the mode of dulling is by microchipping, whereas some other very common lower alloyed stainless like aus6, aus8, aeb-l / gin-5 / 13c26 (same thing), 19c27 / gin-3 (same thing), vg2, vg5 are more likely to not chip out, instead they simply round off at the very edge.

This is the usual tradeoff with high wear resistant steels.

This statement on steel names is not accurate... the naming has nothing to do with prelaminating. It’s a function of which steel company one is buying from. They are the same though.

I was just looking at lasers. Wouldn't Ginga white #2 exactly fit the bill?

Sold at a number of places. But pay attention because different retailers use different thinness, HRC (hardness), and handle (wa or yo). You could order like 12 of them and they'd all be different in noticeable ways, so choose the features you want. Or just go with JKI who has a reputation around here for being picky.

Blueway has one listed as "extra thin" which I guess means extremely lasery and very light.

Takamura 210 is just perfect. Tho it has a western handle
Yeah but it is a pretty, lightweight handle, though, isn't it?

This statement on steel names is not accurate... the naming has nothing to do with prelaminating. It’s a function of which steel company one is buying from. They are the same though.
how so??

as far as i know sg2 turns into sg2 when takefu laminates it. and they get their steel from kobelco. which calls it "r2". is this wrong?

as far as i know sg2 turns into sg2 when takefu laminates it. and they get their steel from kobelco. which calls it "r2". is this wrong?

there are other companies that also laminate r2 and dont call it sg2. Its less about being laminated and more that it happens to be purchased from takefu steel co. Also, being from takefu doesnt necessarily mean damascus cladding. They offer non-damascus cladding as well. And, there are other companies who offer prelaminated versions of r2 that still call it r2 (or something else).

How about Shibata Kotetsu AS. Got mine few days ago and it was live at first sight.

Thank you everyone. I am probably still going to grab a Shibata bunka after I get a 240mm laser gyuto. Then it will be on to a cleaver. The quest to fulfill a knife kit is under way, just don't tell my wife... haha

I really like my Takamura. My only possible complaint would be it doesn't come in a 240mm version (saving for the pro version or Gesshin Ginga).

I really like my Takamura. My only possible complaint would be it doesn't come in a 240mm version (saving for the pro version or Gesshin Ginga).

I looked into the Gesshin Ginga as well. I think it would be a good option for me at a reasonable price point.

I looked into the Gesshin Ginga as well. I think it would be a good option for me at a reasonable price point.

I would definitely say if a laser is what you want, Takamura and Gesshin Ginga are at the top, if not near the top, of the laser list.

Back