Looking for 1st and only J-knife: Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life is too short to use bad knives.
Yes it is. Hopefully that's not how we remember you in the coming days :)
I don't want to buy a low quality starter gyuto because I know i'll want to upgrade, so i'd rather save the trouble and just get a good one now. I can afford it so why not. I believe in spending money on things that are useful and you use often. A kitchen knife? I use it several times a day, every day. Money well spent in my book.
I agree. Although your budget is very high, and spending even a fraction of it on one knife would still get you a really nice one that doesn't need to be upgraded, and you might have more than one nice knife. Fortunately, you're in the extremely fortunate position of being able to demo a collection of knives (I am well je'l') so if you do go for one fancy expensive knife, you've got a great chance of choosing one that you'll like a lot.

FWIW you dont even have to spend half of that $1k budget to acquire a verrrry, verrry good quality gyuto.
Indeed.
But as you said since you can afford it why not.
Well if he can afford several, even at that price, then indeed, why not. But if spending that much would mean buying more is difficult, then that would be a reason to spend less (so he can have a collection).

I said my budget was "up to" 1000$cad. I said that initially before I knew about any gyutos you guys have been recommending, remember I am a complete noob. I overestimated the entry price for a high end knife before doing much research. My top pics right now are around the 300$ 400$us mark. But ad a custom handle maybe... some shipping and duties, tax... convert that to CAD so like x1.26...

I said my budget was "up to" 1000$cad.
Yeah I know it was just the top of the budget - you want something really good.
My top pics right now are around the 300$ 400$us mark. But ad a custom handle maybe... some shipping and duties, tax... convert that to CAD so like x1.26...
Do you think you'll get one fantastic knife, and that'll be it (except for a new paring knife etc), or do you think you'll have a couple of gyutos (or similar) before long? :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the collection that must be arriving in under 2 hours :)

Looks like aboynamedsuita is officially coming over for a knife demo at my house today!!:bliss:Free delivery! Must buy produce.
It did take a bit of convincing my wife: "Honey, I never told you this but I just all of a sudden became irrationally interested in japanese knives and met this total stranger online that is coming over to our house with our kids with lots of knives, that cool?"

In the event that we never hear from you again, how would you like us to remember you?

We are both still alive lol. I brought some various knives to see handles, lengths, steels, budgets, etc. Oh yea and a kato and shig from the collection :cool2:
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1500604543.656743.jpg

+1
My ginga was an amazing knife ultimately passed onto a friend not a regret but I could definitely go for another.

Damn it Dirt! I was just on Jon's site looking at them (in stock again) and reminiscing about the one "I sent away" also to a friend (I still sharpen it for him and he does things too it that are just not nice but he is a "user of knives" not a freak like many of us here).

Now I want one - again ...

I've had ALOT knives mentioned here, Tanaka, Shigefusa, Ginga, Itinomonn, Ikazuchi, and others I can't think of. My likes seem pretty close to the OP, except I like 210mm blades. I've finally settled on a Ginrei and Gengetsu. Just excellent knives for me. Now given the OP likes longer blades, *maybe* the Ginga or even Tanaka R2 makes sense. I've had both at 210mm and they were just too light weight, not enough momentum for chopping. That might be different for a longer blade. Also the Ginga is really thin, sort a bit flexible, some may like that, I don't. And it seems pretty delicate, I was always worried about it. Had a near identical Sakai Yusuke that I borrowed to a friend and he folded the edge.

So for those reasons I suggest moving up to something a bit beefier, either Ginrei or Gengetsu. The Ginrei is just a bit thicker and heavier, not sure how that translates at the longer lengths. Probably Gengetsu would be the *safe* bet for that reason.

Damn awesome meet up. So did you manage to find a favourite?

We might never hear from him again? :detective:

I am alive still. Can't confirm or deny if aboynamedsuita is. I'm busy at work today but will def do a write up later today. So many vegetables died yesterday... very graphic.

Allright, let's do this. If you don't like to read just look at the bottom of this message for the outcome.

First off, a big thank you to aboynamedsuita for taking the time to drive over to my place after work and spend just over 3 hours going over everything with me and letting me go to town on some fruit/veg. Outstanding generosity in sharing his time, knives and knowledge with a commoner like myself. Nobody got murdered, which is always nice.

Full disclosure, I cut my thumb open within the first 5 minutes of our visit and promptly covered it up with the only band-aids we have in the house: Mickey Mouse children band aids that my 2 year old daughter uses. Now that I got that off my chest, let's get on with it. Instead of talking about every knife individually, I'll go about this review differently. Since he didn't have any of the knives on my "maybe list", I essentially went into this telling myself I wanted to come out with a final decision on 3 things: Japanese vs Western Handle, Blade length and laser vs medium blade.

He did not let me cut anything with the Kato, nor the Shigefusa nakiri... but damn they looked amazing. The Kato was a work of art.
I used the following (Left to Right on the picture posted by aboynamedsuita):
Misono Swedish Carbon steel 300mm
Takamura HSPS Pro R2 240mm
Tojiro DP 210mm
Moritaka AS 210mm
Misono Swedish Carbon steel Honesuki (didn't cut any chickens, it was just to look at)
Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Petty 165mm

1. Western Vs Japanese handle:
I was hell bent on getting a Japanese handle, if you read back through this now very long thread. This was my first time ever holding a knife with Japanese handle. The Moritaka felt good in the hand. It had a D handle. The Petty has an octagon handle. I think I prefer the D. But you know what... hold the others with the western handle felt absolutely fine, and more normal in my hands because I guess I'm just used to it. If i learned anything, is that now I am not completely ruling out having a western handle on whatever knife I pick. So this was a great eye opener. Also, the ZDP Petty was amazing... I peeled a kiwi with it and slide up an orange and removed the fruit from the skin after it was cut in wedges. Damn that thing is a scalpel. But then I asked my wife to try it... and she said she didn't want to get the handle dirty because he hands were full of ginger and oil (she was cooking next to us). It was untreated normal handle (not sure wood)... it looks like it would absorb and stain anything you would put on it. So my wife wouldn't want to use it when pitting/cutting cherries, strawberries, etc because it would likely stain the handle (we do lots of this due to our kids). I think you can treat it with something but it seems to defeat the purpose of avoiding using a knife for a job because you will stain the handle. So in conclusion, maybe a western handle for a petty... japanese handle for gyuto.

2. Blade Length:
My main objective was to determine if I wanted 240mm or 270mm. I brought out a ruler before aboynamedsuita came over. Well turns out I'm an idiot. I have been using my zwilling pro 8 inch for years now... I've obviously gotten used to it, it feel very normal to me. Now I suck at conversion, and here in Canada we use the metric system, like normal people, so it's hard to know how long 8 inches is. For some unknown reason, I was associating 8 inches to be 240mm, probably because I was told 8 inches is "standard" and 240mm is "standard", and my brain made the connection. Turns out my 8 inch chef knife is actually only 200mm... and here I thought I was using a 240mm. Furthermore, due to the insane belly on the Zwilling (which I had and never really use), my straight working surface for chopping on the blade is more like 150mm. So this alone blew my mind.

First knife I pick up was the Misono 300mm. Petina-ed to crap, mofo dragon on the side... most badass thing I have ever seen (except for the Kato). Whoever said the dragons on the misono were cool in a previous comment, you were right. The knife was surprisingly nimble and light for such a monster. However your hand is so far from the end of the blade that doing work with the tip is not precise. Your elbow is tucked in and sticking out behind your body to get it to land normally on your cutting board. This was awkward. 300mm too long. There was no 270mm blade so next up was the takamura. It felt great. Medium sized blade with some heft. Cutting with it had momentum, weight, and was responsive overall. I have a large working area so the fact the tip is sticking out of my cutting board in not a problem. I liked the weight and length, but precision work like doing tip slicing on the onion, was difficult for me and my hand was wobbling about. I'm sure I could get the hang of it though. Then I picked up the Moritaka 210mm... you know that feeling when you pick up the jug of milk in the fridge but you don't know it's almost empty and are expecting it to be heavy but it's not? Same thing... That thing was light as a feather and took me by surprise. Onto cutting various things (cherry tomatoes, onions, potatoes, green onions, leeks) it was amazing. It seemed to me I had more control, more confidence. The feeling differed from the beefier, thicker, longer 240mm Takamura. I finally understand everyone's comments here that there isn't a "better" blade out there, they just feel different. They both felt great, for different reasons. The satisfying heavy momentum of the Takamura was replaced with a crisper, lighter cutting action of the Moritaka generated more by your hand control than the weight of the knife.

210mm seemed to be the sweet spot for me. It's almost all a flat profile with any Gyuto so coming from the zwilling with the large belly, I already feel like 210mm is a jump in size considering all the new real estate I can use on the blade, with no compromise to control. The 240 felt long but I could get use to it. Now I am left to wonder 210mm vs 240mm. I only cut one thing at a time, like 1 onion or 1 tomato or 1 carrot. You can do this with a 210mm no problem. I feel like the only time I might ever tell myself "man I wish I had 30 more millimeters" would be either in bed with my wife, or if I'm cutting the occasional watermelon on gigantic piece of boneless meat.
Conclusion: I had more control using the 210mm and I suck at converting imperial to metric.

3. Laser vs medium gyuto:
I started the thread wanting a laser, then got convinced extra girth isn't bad, as long as the "grind" is good. The most laser knife I had was the Moritaka. The thicker medium knives were the Tojiro DP 210mm and the Takamura. The Tojiro felt sluggish and I really did not connect with it. I'd pick the Moritaka over the tojiro without hesitation. The Takamura cut way better then the Tojiro and I think that is due to the shape of the blade. I also like that it had that extra girth, it felt like the knife was doing the cutting and it felt super solid when you did chop cutting. Push cutting was easy because it's weight helped with momentum and was a satisfying feeling. The Morikata was thin and light. It felt more like an extension of your hand, and required hand pressure and more concentration on hand stability to get a good cut. But man that cut was "crisp" and very responsive. For chop cutting it did a great job, I felt I could go faster and it made me feel like a pro chef... but slamming that thing on the board during chopping triggered a sense of "omg will i break it" because it was so thin and that AS was hard as all hell. Perhaps with more practice I can learn to control it better. But yea, it's weird, I felt more confident with a big burly knife for it's toughness and weight, but not as much control. With the laser I felt more in control but the trade off was a requirement for a higher degree of concentration for precise movements and a dread of chipping or breaking something. So again, everything you guys have been telling me so far is spot on and all starting to make sense. There is no "better", it's just trade offs and different feelings.
Conclusion: I don't know which I prefer. They were both awesome.

There you have it. I have learned so much by having the opportunity to get my hands on some knives and put all the comments and tips i've been reading on here to good use. It has shed some light on what I like and don't like and I come out of it smarter.

I think I'm going for Japanese handle for Gyuto.. and probably a western handle petty in the future
210mm is a good fit for me, which I was not expecting.
Wanting a very thin behind the edge gyuto but maybe not as thin/light/bendy as a Ginga. Turns out I do like a tiny bit of heft.

So I guess my list is now:
1. ITINOMONN STAINLESS KASUMI 210MM WA GYUTO
2. GENGETSU 210MM SEMI-STAINLESS WA-GYUTO

Unless someone has any other recommendations given the above mentioned info.

Great read! :doublethumbsup:

Seems like somebody had some fun, but we all knew you would.
...You lucky dog! :cool2:

The itinomonn is still my favourite weapon of choice. I love the thing. IMHO the best all rounder around. Though never used the Gengetsu which is also cherished here and for similar attributes and often in the same conversation with the Itinomonn. many even prefer the gengetsu. I think your on the money with your picks. Either should be a perfect fit.

I want to remind about the Wakui Kasumi/hairline. It's right up there with the Itinomonn and Gengetsu. A lot of similarities, but a hair easier to sharpen and the edge retention isn't quite as good. Maybe it just complicates things for no reason so probably better to go with one of your two top picks.

...and the western petty is a good idea. My wife likes to use one too.

Itinomonns are probably still OOS for a while and the Gengetsu is well in your budget sooo... :knife:

Well, Tojiro is a bargain brand, i could have told you that...And also not what i would call medium weight. Same goes for misono. If you gave me an under $100 budget those would be your options. But with $1000 dollars those are far in the rearview. Hate to be the buzzkill, but im a little disappointed he brought those to you for a demo, especially with your budget, as those arent the greatest representation of j-knives.

Kato and shigs are gems but youll be hard pressed to find one.

But anyway, out of your list, i would go with the Gengetsu. But if you want my advice, if youre a fan of JKI, I would go with Gesshin Kagekiyo .

The stainless Itinomonn is out of stock at the mo, but the Munetoshi 210 gyuto is on stock and the petty as well. Worth considering. (Might have been suggested already.)
I only have the kasumi Itinomonn 240 gyuto and it's 167gr, whereas the Munetoshi 240 gyuto is 220gr. So one of them is really light and nimble the other one is more robust, but both of them cut like a mofo. :)
You're after a 210 gyuto so it will be smaller, lighter and more maneuverable than the 240 but probably big enough for most of the tasks in a home kitchen.
If you want to laser through food but don't want to worry about stains, patina, rust, then go for the Shibata Kotetsu gyuto. That thing will put a grin on your face whilst cutting veg/fruit/meat.
Now you have a real feel of some proper kitchen knives, you can also watch some in action on the youtube for comaprison.

Nice write-up!
Were you okay with the profile of the Tojiro as well as the Moritaka? Imo Moritaka runs fairly flat to the board... Not all 210s will be like that
I'll express confidence that if you get 240 it will not take long to adjust to it

Well, Tojiro is a bargain brand, i could have told you that...And also not what i would call medium weight. Same goes for misono. If you gave me an under $100 budget those would be your options. But with $1000 dollars those are far in the rearview. Hate to be the buzzkill, but im a little disappointed he brought those to you for a demo, especially with your budget, as those arent the greatest representation of j-knives.

Kato and shigs are gems but youll be hard pressed to find one.

But anyway, out of your list, i would go with the Gengetsu. But if you want my advice, if youre a fan of JKI, I would go with Gesshin Kagekiyo .

I think you missed the point which was primarily to see what different handles, lengths, etc. feel like. Not sure if I have the knives then OP is after except maybe the Watanabe but in honyaki but that needs the handle installed still

I think you missed the point which was primarily to see what different handles, lengths, etc. feel like. Not sure if I have the knives then OP is after except maybe the Watanabe but in honyaki but that needs the handle installed still

Oh, my bad, I assumed you would be one of the guys on here with the more prolific knife collection .

Oh, my bad, I assumed you would be one of the guys on here with the more prolific knife collection .

Well I do have a variety of stuff from cheap to expensive and rare (see my profile it should be current), but it was also discussed earlier in the thread to not utilize the entire budget by a fair amount being a first j-knife and consider something else in the future

Thanks again for all the help guys. After more research I'm confident I want both the itonomonn and gengetsu. I will try to get both and see which I prefer, and probably gift the other to a family member. I don't yet have access to the BST for posting a WTB for a few more days.

In the mean time, if anyone, preferably from Canada, has a 210 itonomonn or gengetsu stainless they are willing to part with please PM me.

Quickly wanted to close this thread up. I ended up getting the Itonomonn SS 210mm Gyuto from a member here YG420. A special thanks to him for stellar service and prompt delivery, even reimbursing me a few dollars once he realized shipping was cheaper than expected. He could have kept that money and I would have never known.

Thank you all for your time and recommendations, this knife is everything I dreamed of and more. Even my wife is using it all the time. I've had for a month now and smile every time I get to chop something up. Thanks everyone!

the question is whether this is actually going to be your only J-knife as you had said from the very beginning ;)

Quickly wanted to close this thread up. I ended up getting the Itonomonn SS 210mm Gyuto from a member here YG420. A special thanks to him for stellar service and prompt delivery, even reimbursing me a few dollars once he realized shipping was cheaper than expected. He could have kept that money and I would have never known.

Thank you all for your time and recommendations, this knife is everything I dreamed of and more. Even my wife is using it all the time. I've had for a month now and smile every time I get to chop something up. Thanks everyone!

Back