Looking for 210mm gyuto for my sons first knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vionlad

Reaction score
USA
KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
Left
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$150 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Everything
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
1st knife
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Will teach him pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Will teach him all

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, Rubber, synthetic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I am looking for a fully reactive blade(no stainless) maybe white#1 or Blue#1, something that we has to learn to care for. I will teach him how to sharpen. Nothing too thin or thick just a starter knife that you have to really maintain so he has do it properly.

I recommend the Misono Swedish Steel if you can deal with a western handle.
It is a very good western handle IMO.

I recommend the Misono Swedish Steel if you can deal with a western handle.
It is a very good western handle IMO.
Living the the US he will have plenty of chances to use western handles...that’s why I want a Wa handle (except mine which he cat use until he learns to treat his own correctly 😊) He won’t have is many chances at those so I would like him to get used to it.

I don't think I would have liked full Carbon as my first knife. Would rather recommend with stainless clad but not really anything I can recommend in that regard closest is Kaeru Kasumi White Gyuto 210mm which is awesome.
Or Wakui Wakui Sanjo, get the one in BST or Yoshimune but it's sold out right now Yoshimune Sanjo White 2 Stainless Clad Gyuto 210 mm Hammered Finish , Yoshimune Sanjo Gyuto 210mm White 2
For Carbon there was Shinko Seilan Shinko Seilan Aogami Super Gyuto 210 mm by Shiro Kamo , https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/collections/shinko-seilan-shiro-kamo/products/shinko-seilan-青岚-gyuto-210mm-ku-aogami-super-by-shiro-kamo
Kintaro also sold out right now Kintaro White #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
and Tanaka Blue a bit out of budget Tanaka Blue 2 Gyuto 210mm Migaki Finish

I don't think I would have liked full Carbon as my first knife. Would rather recommend with stainless clad but not really anything I can recommend in that regard closest is Kaeru Kasumi White Gyuto 210mm which is awesome.
Or Wakui Wakui Sanjo, get the one in BST or Yoshimune but it's sold out right now Yoshimune Sanjo White 2 Stainless Clad Gyuto 210 mm Hammered Finish , Yoshimune Sanjo Gyuto 210mm White 2
For Carbon there was Shinko Seilan Shinko Seilan Aogami Super Gyuto 210 mm by Shiro Kamo , https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/collections/shinko-seilan-shiro-kamo/products/shinko-seilan-青岚-gyuto-210mm-ku-aogami-super-by-shiro-kamo
Kintaro also sold out right now Kintaro White #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
and Tanaka Blue a bit out of budget Tanaka Blue 2 Gyuto 210mm Migaki Finish

Yeah the whole point is that he will HAVE to learn to care for it right...anything after that will be easy

Just think it should be his choice but you know your son better and there is also quite a difference between home kitchen and at work. Hope I still could help you and you have a good time with him and his new knife.

Yeah it’s at home he is 14, should have started him sooner but I defiantly want him to know how to properly care for and sharpen a knife so I figured I would get him something that he has to work at.

I can teach him the right way but unless you have to deal with stuff like rust or a dull knife it’s just not the same

Started with stainless and didn't like patina at first.
Still like stainless but also got quite some full Carbon, Carbon with stainless clad. Really depends on the job and time I use them at work and what I'm in the mood of. At home it's easier to care for Carbon since you don't have to pay extra attention and got more time on your hands. Disagree with the rust experience. I could do all my life with a Stainless or Semistainless but Carbon definitely developed its charme for me.

Blue moon gives you a good quality all-carbon blade with a wa handle under budget. Second the Misono Sweden Steel recommendation if you're okay with a western handle, especially if you can grab a lefty with an engraving :).

I am thinking maybe tojiro Shirogami ITK gyuto anyone have any experience with them?

I have the Tojiro nakiri/santoku in the grinding finish from that line.

Nothing super special but definitely workable knives. Edge retention is not the best, but you can get them quite sharp, so good knives to practice on for sharpening. Solid enough to spatchcock chickens. They'll rust, but a green or red scotchbrite pad takes that off easily enough.

Maybe daovua in that price range too (I would guess the spring steel rather than pipeline). I think you will be able to get feedback here on both.

Maybe daovua in that price range too (I would guess the spring steel rather than pipeline). I think you will be able to get feedback here on both.
Personally, I'd avoid Dao Vua for a first knife. They're good value but have too many issues for a person starting out... even with guidance.

Last edited:
The Gesshin stainless is probably the best bang for your buck under 150. Though it's out of stock, Jon always has them on order, so they come in relatively frequently. If you had to go carbon, I'd also recommend either the Seilan AS or Gesshin Uraku white #2. Can always shoot Jon an email to see when Uraku comes in. The Tojiro ITK is a bit of a gamble. Some are good and some have terrible grinds and that website isn't known for for QC or customer service but YMMV. Though if you do get a bad ITK, it could be a good way to teach your son how to fix a knife.

Back