Looking for a 210mm gyuto from an European shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Benuser Hi Ben, I used shudder quotes to already question my own assessment of needing an upgrade.

In fact, I think the Misono will be an excellent knife, based on your rec. So, why don't i just buy it? For starters as I'm relatively new to this scene, I do have a lot of curiosity for a lot of the other knives I had mentioned - more so than with the Misono.

Secondly, I believe you mentioned earlier how the relatively narrow blade prevents the Misono from being a good all-purpose knife? That might leave me wanting for something with a different geometry - hence the 'upgrade'. So that is why at this stage I want to keep an open mind and see if there is a single knife that is both a good slicer and an all purpose knife.

By the way, I've bought some Belgian brocken from amazon Germany. Will be here one of these days. Thanks again for the tip! Hope it performs as well as you said.

When you talk about the Blazen being the best what is it you specifically refer to? Geometry, durability, edge retention, ease of use?

About the Blazen: amongst the very few stainless Western chef's I have used and sharpened it was by far the most comfortable. Has all to do with Fit&Finish and a profile that suited me, or is just familiar. Very personal, a tip which isn't too high, a flat profile with still a continuous arc from heel to tip. Excellent edge retention, even under harsh circumstances — crappy poly boards, in a welfare kitchen. Took me some time to find out which combination of stones works the best with it.
So, about the 'upgrade', it isn't so much a replacement of the knife you're considering. May be it's an option to go for a real general purpose blade, and have a carbon slicer next to it for your proteins, as a narrow blade causes less dragging. Normally I would suggest a 240mm chef's, but if you prefer a 210mm instead, have a longer slicer in case you need more length — say, a 270mm sujihiki.

About the Blazen: amongst the very few stainless Western chef's I have used and sharpened it was by far the most comfortable. Has all to do with Fit&Finish and a profile that suited me, or is just familiar. Very personal, a tip which isn't too high, a flat profile with still a continuous arc from heel to tip. Excellent edge retention, even under harsh circumstances — crappy poly boards, in a welfare kitchen. Took me some time to find out which combination of stones works the best with it.
So, about the 'upgrade', it isn't so much a replacement of the knife you're considering. May be it's an option to go for a real general purpose blade, and have a carbon slicer next to it for your proteins, as a narrow blade causes less dragging. Normally I would suggest a 240mm chef's, but if you prefer a 210mm instead, have a longer slicer in case you need more length — say, a 270mm sujihiki.
Which combination of stones did you settle on for the Blazen?
Thanks!

The Blazen is a really nice knife. Since you are already looking at imports, you could buy it from Switzerland RyuSen Blazen (PM/SG-2 Pulver Stahl) - Japanische-Kochmesser.ch - Ihr Profi für scharfe Messer , Ryusen Super Gold (PM/SG-2 Pulver Stahl) - Japanische-Kochmesser.ch - Ihr Profi für scharfe Messer . Mabye you know someone who could get it over the border for you or hope for the best. Or ask them when they have it in stock Ryusen Blazen Japans Koksmes 21 cmBZ-104280.999994.
Japan-Messer-shop isn't that well known and don't have the biggest sortiment, but still rather popular but also niche in the German forum. No problems buying from Mr Horie and good quality.

Which combination of stones did you settle on for the Blazen?
Thanks!
Would do things differently, now. In those days I used to use edge trailing strokes as well and deburred along the edge. Didn't deburr by edge leading strokes as I do now. I now would probably see if a Belgian Blue or a hard Arkansas could be helpful in deburring.
But then, after sharpening and deburring on Chosera 800, stropping on Naniwa Pro 3k, deburred on damp Chosera 2k and Naniwa Junpaku 'snow-white' 8k.

Would do things differently, now. In those days I used to use edge trailing strokes as well and deburred along the edge. Didn't deburr by edge leading strokes as I do now. I now would probably see if a Belgian Blue or a hard Arkansas could be helpful in deburring.
But then, after sharpening and deburring on Chosera 800, stropping on Naniwa Pro 3k, deburred on damp Chosera 2k and Naniwa Junpaku 'snow-white' 8k.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've been using Shapton glass on my R2 and SRS15 knives but have not been happy with the edge for tomatoes and peppers, just the other day I used the Chosera 3000 on them and liked it better. I have been using the SG stones as that's what I heard the Takanura brothers use and because I thought they would be superior with more highly alloyed steel, but besides not liking the SG 4000 grit edge on vegy skins I also dont like how much they load up. The Choseras on the other hand dont load up and feel so much nicer to use.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've been using Shapton glass on my R2 and SRS15 knives but have not been happy with the edge for tomatoes and peppers, just the other day I used the Chosera 3000 on them and liked it better. I have been using the SG stones as that's what I heard the Takanura brothers use and because I thought they would be superior with more highly alloyed steel, but besides not liking the SG 4000 grit edge on vegy skins I also dont like how much they load up. The Choseras on the other hand dont load up and feel so much nicer to use.
What was the first stone in the progression?

Just an update on the buying process.

After reading up and following threads here, and thinking further about my own wishes, I’ve narrowed down the options to: the Wakui aogami #2 from cleancut, the Munetoshi from JNS, and then I’m also eying whatever I see coming along in the BTS section here. The Ryusen Blazen is also still a contender but it’s sold out plus something tells me it would be fun to get a knife with a Japanese handle.

Do consider a second hand Toyama. The Hinoura you mentioned earlier is a great knife (I had a chance to handle 240 version and it is great). Munetoshi is great too. Yoshikane is a great knife, but could be a few mm taller.

And you should definitely check out the workhorse version of Kaeru from JNS. Maksim just had first few in 210 and 240 extra tall.

@Matus Sooo, I’m back at considering Hinoura I guess :) Both the 210 and 240 workhorse Kaeru are sold out though.

Thanks, I did see that one too, they are both around the same price, and indeed both are iron clad. I don’t really mind. What criteria would you guys use if choosing between these two knives?

that it looks the way you want.

the AS hinouras from CC are stainless clad if you want SS.

Another update for anyone still interested (not many I guess). This morning I ordered a Munetoshi 210mm gyuto and a Munetoshi 165mm petty from Maksim at JNS. I like that they are utilitarian and cheap.

Then when I had a much needed lunch break from sitting behind a screen all morning, I saw meesterslijpers.nl indicating on instagram they have wa-handled Ryusen Blazen gyutos in stock. So I ordered a 210mm. Plan is to choose between either the Blazen or the Munetoshi, or, very unlikely, keep them both.

Question: anyone with experience regarding the wa-handled Blazen? Better/same/worse than the Western handle?
blazen.JPG

Or a Tosa 'workhorse'? I recently bought a Sadamuna 210 Aogami super to carry me over until the Shig mothership lands. After some sharpening and grinding out what i think was an overgrind, easing the spine and choil now the knife is growing on me. I also have a Hinoura Nakiri in AS and fit and finish is supern but it feels as dead as a rock. The Sadamune 'speaks' to me, and is dirt cheap!

Wowzers: received the Ryusen wa handled 210 gyuto today but the thing is ultralight!

It weighs 125 grams versus 190 grams for the Western handled 210 gyuto.

Isn’t that a too dramatic difference, making for a completely different knife? I have been holding it but having trouble seeing it as a daily driver. Probably going to return it. Fit and finish great though, and relatively sharp out of the box.

Wowzers: received the Ryusen wa handled 210 gyuto today but the thing is ultralight!

It weighs 125 grams versus 190 grams for the Western handled 210 gyuto.

Isn’t that a too dramatic difference, making for a completely different knife? I have been holding it but having trouble seeing it as a daily driver. Probably going to return it. Fit and finish great though, and relatively sharp out of the box.

Don't be under the impression that lighter knives are less all purpose. It's not like you can take a workhorse and do nuts and chocolate; they're still thin b.t.e. "Lasers" are just lighter, with a different balance point, and feel less "sturdy" but unless you go out of your way, you're not going to damage it (and you would also damage a heavier knife this way). Remember the difference in weight is at the handle.

Last edited:
ANother update from most likely the slowest buyer in the history of KKF :)

Yesterday I took delivery of the Munetoshi petty 165 and gyuto 210 from Maksim. They feel much better in my hand than the wa handled Ryusen. The latter just doesn't feel very safe somehow, at least not how I tend to use knives! So the RYusen will most likely be returned. Also given that it costs more or less the same as the 2 Munetoshis together.

As I'm now in the middle of comparing actual knives, I've also ordered the aogami's by Wakui and Hinoura from cleancut to see how they feel. It helps me to have the knife in my hand, in making a decision. So far, the Munetoshi's seem like clear winners, but I know more by the end of next week.

The only knife I'm now curious about is the Sukenari SG2 as seen here (after some comments in the BTS): Gyuto Japanese kitchen knife Sukenari SG2 S-512 21cm Anyone able to compare this one to the knives already mentioned?

So, I took delivery of the Cleancut order the other day, including the Wakui AS and Hinoura AS. Of these two, I prefer the Hinoura. It seems like a knife I'd be more inclined to use. Not 100% sold on its looks though.

The weight of the Hinoura is what I like, and this is what is bringing me more towards a workhorse style gyuto. I guess it makes sense that I'd be going for such a knife as I'm not willing to have several gyuto's lying around, max 2. That brings me to a local shop here in the Netherlands where they are selling the TF Maboroshi 210 with western handle. It's the same price as the Hinoura. This shop also sells both the iron and ss clad Blenheim Forge, a knife that I find drop dead gorgeous.

So basically the choice has now been narrowed down to Hinoura, the TF Maboroshi, and the Blenheim. Any opinions? Re the Hinoura's, would it be wiser to go with a shirogami instead of the AS? OTOH I'm also leaning towards returning the Hinoura, and then buying both the TF and the Blenheim, and in due time selling one of these latter two. They both seem to be in demand here on BTS.

Finally, I did make some decisions. :) I will keep the Munetoshi 165 petty from JNS, which seems like a perfect tool for nimble, precise work. I've also ordered a Misono Swedish 150 petty which I plan to keep. I've heard so many great stories about this petty here that I doubt I will be dissatisfied!

Last edited:
Back