Looking for a 240ish mm sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aszma

Reaction score
Looking to round out my kit with a sujihiki. Had a 270mm wat sujihiki before but wasnt a super big fan on how flimsy it felt and found the size just a tad too big for my work space and needs. So now im in the market for a 240mm sujihiki or ideally if they made one around 250-260mm but i havent been able to find one in that size. Would also like it to be on the stiffer side. I prefer carbon but im open to stainless/semi-stainless budget id like to not spend more that 400. Ill be using this knife on both raw and cooked meats mostly processing salmon fillets, portioning steaks and roasts, butterflying chicken breasts, and cutting cooked laamb legs and brisket.

Forgot to put prefer wa handles

Last edited:
Second for Hinoura. Also Mazaki if you could find one; I know he’s made at least one 240mm sujihiki but I can’t find any for sale now. I bet that Kochi is good too. The Takayuki Blue 2 is indeed a stiff 240 but note that it’s very asymmetrically ground and beveled so I see it as more purpose specific for protein. Surprised to hear a Watanabe felt flimsy, but I also get that feeling from my Kurosaki Raijin. Tsukiji Masamoto maybe?

Stiffness in a sujihiki is a function of thickness at the spine and edge, height, and taper, and to a lesser extent steel; Mazaki, for instance, is thin over most of its length but slightly taller and very fat at the handle and heel, so it’s on the stiffer side. Tou is quite narrow (height) but thick at the spine, so it’s also stiff. That Takayuki isn’t particularly tall nor thick at the spine but it’s thicker over its height because the grind is flat on one side and convex on the other and sharpened accordingly, so thicker towards the edge, and also the solid blue steel probably has something to do with it. Shiro Kamo isn’t quite as tapered as Mazaki and Hinoura but is even taller so it gets its stiffness there.

I too am looking for a 255mm sujihiki, some nominal 270s made in Sakai should measure in about that range. Kagekiyo and Hitohira Kikuchiyo are the ones I’m looking at; also someone on here showed one by Yoshikazu Tanaka that’s about 260. I think the only production ones I remember specified at 255mm were Masamoto’s budget lines which would almost certainly be too flexible.

You would have to reach a little deeper but Harbeer would make you one to the size you like. And in the steel you like. I have a longer one in Zwear that I like a lot. I've thought about a 250ish but there's so many knives and so little time.....

Second for Hinoura. Also Mazaki if you could find one; I know he’s made at least one 240mm sujihiki but I can’t find any for sale now. I bet that Kochi is good too. The Takayuki Blue 2 is indeed a stiff 240 but note that it’s very asymmetrically ground and beveled so I see it as more purpose specific for protein. Surprised to hear a Watanabe felt flimsy, but I also get that feeling from my Kurosaki Raijin. Tsukiji Masamoto maybe?

Stiffness in a sujihiki is a function of thickness at the spine and edge, height, and taper, and to a lesser extent steel; Mazaki, for instance, is thin over most of its length but slightly taller and very fat at the handle and heel, so it’s on the stiffer side. Tou is quite narrow (height) but thick at the spine, so it’s also stiff. That Takayuki isn’t particularly tall nor thick at the spine but it’s thicker over its height because the grind is flat on one side and convex on the other and sharpened accordingly, so thicker towards the edge, and also the solid blue steel probably has something to do with it. Shiro Kamo isn’t quite as tapered as Mazaki and Hinoura but is even taller so it gets its stiffness there.

I too am looking for a 255mm sujihiki, some nominal 270s made in Sakai should measure in about that range. Kagekiyo and Hitohira Kikuchiyo are the ones I’m looking at; also someone on here showed one by Yoshikazu Tanaka that’s about 260. I think the only production ones I remember specified at 255mm were Masamoto’s budget lines which would almost certainly be too flexible.
I didnt even know mazaki made 240s or id be all over it. i know sakai usually makes their knives short so ive been looking at them for a while but yet to pull the trigger on anything.

Any advantage of wide bevel Sujihiki vs std Hamaguri convex bevel Suji? like Hinoura vs Mazaki or Kagekiyo/Kyuzo vs Wakui.
(Weight aside just by the grind itself).

Kinda want another Suji.

Back