looking for a 6000 stone that doesn't load up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinyunggyun

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking at the JNS 6000, gesshin 6000 S&G, king 6000, shiramine 6000. arashiyama 6000, and morihei 6000.

Any particular reason there are no Shaptons on your list?

The only one I've used from your list is the King 6000. They make some variants, but if you're talking about the yellow one (OK, the yellow one I bought 30 years ago), I never managed to get it to not behave like it was loaded up, no matter what I did to it, so I actually tossed it. Only stone I ever threw away. Selling it would have violated my moral code.

I have the shiramine, king 6k and Naniwa traditional 6k...all are different and give different results and feedback...

I think it would depend on what you're looking for it to do...is it more polishing or edge refinement...do you want toothy edge or more refined...hazy polish or shine (ie more or less difference between hard and soft steel).

As for the king 6k loading up mentioned by another poster I know exactly what they mean...I had that happen for me as well at the beginning...then played around with how I use it (pressure, speed and length of strokes) and no issues now...

Let us know a bit more about what your intended uses are and perhaps we can suggest a good fit...

Any particular questions about any of the 3 stones I have... don't hesitate to ask...

Take care

Jeff

I've only tried the Arashiyama 6000 from of your list, good bite and sharpening feel, it's capable to mirror finish but not a synthetic mirror look like the Naniwa super stone 5K/8K.
The only down side for me is it's a bit thirsty, and quite soft.

I have the Gesshin 6k Resinoid, permasoaked. I’ve only had it a short time, but the few times I’ve used it for polishing I didn’t experience it loading at all. Nice stone.

I've only tried the Arashiyama 6000 from of your list, good bite and sharpening feel, it's capable to mirror finish but not a synthetic mirror look like the Naniwa super stone 5K/8K.
The only down side for me is it's a bit thirsty, and quite soft.
Bit thirsty? I thought the arashiyama was a splash and go? Does this stone load up at all?

Bit thirsty? I thought the arashiyama was a splash and go? Does this stone load up at all?
Yeah, weird right? I can use it by just splashing water but I have to top it up quite often, but I can't say for all of them, stone quality varies between batches.
Mine doesn't load up, at least not noticeable.

Picked up an Arashiyama 6000 and touched up a few knives. Really like it so far. Reminds me of my Kitayama 8000, but a little harder. Very keen edge. Nice finisher for carbon for practical use . Great stone, especially for the price.

378C065F-5613-4203-9099-CD9C59D55119.jpeg

if you're down to permanently soak it I would argue it is the best performing fine grit stone I have tried. Easy to lap, doesn't load, cuts like a chainsaw and provides easily the most aesthetic finish I have gotten off of synthetic stones.

if you're down to permanently soak it I would argue it is the best performing fine grit stone I have tried. Easy to lap, doesn't load, cuts like a chainsaw and provides easily the most aesthetic finish I have gotten off of synthetic stones.
I’ve only had it a bit, but found it works better with at least a little soak instead of splash and go. Maybe I’ll try permasoaking.

I’ve only had it a bit, but found it works better with at least a little soak instead of splash and go. Maybe I’ll try permasoaking.
Yes the arashiyama. Sorry I forgot to mention which stone I was talking about

Jon from Japanese knife imports recommends permasoaking this stone.

Better than the JNS 6000? Just asking because I find it hard for that one to be surpassed.

Back