Looking for a Beater Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_M

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Beater Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed? Left, but I don't care about steering issues for this knife.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Doesn't matter

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8", 210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes, or semi-stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $100. With that said, if the perfect knife is something like $112, its not an issue. I wouldn't mind paying less though.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) This knife is going to be the "abused" knife. Chopping chocolate, roasted nuts, splitting cooked bone-in cooked chicken breasts, etc. I'm fairly easy on knives - my "beater" is now a shun 8" that has been superseded by a couple white #2 blades, but knowing what I know now, it seems ...odd to use as a beater. I've had it for 10+ years and only saw 1 minor chip, which came out in literally a couple minutes on the stones.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Shun 8" will be supplementing a Mazaki 240mm and a Jikko Dawn 210mm.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Everything is fair game for this one

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Looking for toughness - a knife I'm not worried about chipping (even though, as noted above, I don't think it's a big problem)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I wouldn't mind if the thing wasn't ...ugly (that Fibrox handle, while really functional especially when wet, isn't the most beautiful thing). Don't care about the pattern. Toughness is the only thing I'm looking for.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Don't care for this knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Don't care for this knife

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I don't expect much from retention on this edge, given it'll likely be a softer steel and use for less precise tasks.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Edge Grain wood, although this one will see a poly cutting board.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) N/A

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) N/A

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS: I think I just described the Victorinox 8" Chefs knife (which is truly high on my list) or any number of Mercer's or low-ish end Germans. I wouldn't hate it if the knife was able to take a decent edge and was made out of a something other than one of the X50... type steels, if for no reason other than I'd like to try something new. Definitely not a requirement though.

If you will do Carbon, a Forgecraft would fit the bill at half your budget.

K Sabatier vintage either stainless of carbon. I've got the carbon one and I'm quite happy though there's some fit and finish concerns and can also be some bend/warping. But at about $100 it's hard to beat. Can be had through the link or you can talk to Evan at Strata. He's on here as Smashmasta and he can help find a good one for you.

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/8-in-chef-knife-nogent-carbon-n20ao.html

CKTG has the tanaka vg10 210 at 110. It doesnt really fit the bill, but is hard to imagine getting a better knife for that money. You can keep using the shun as a beater.

Id go for a victorinox or dexter or something similar. Cheap and tough so you can abuse it and easy to replace.

Lots of good options. I'm certain the Misono Molybdenum would work, but I'm quite intrigued by the idea of a vintage K Sabatier or Forgecraft. Seems like the K-sab in the link is sold out though. I'll drop Evan an e-mail.

I checked eBay and didn't love any of the forgecraft's for the prices they were sold at, but I'll keep an eye out there.

The victorinox Fibrox at $35 or even rosewood at $48 are still considerations - just trying to decide if I'll get 2x the enjoyment out of one of the others. I don't think I'll be buying 2x the cutting performance for the specific tasks I'm looking for this knife to do.

+1 on the Vic. as a beater. It sharpens up better than a lot of German blades. All of those stainless knives lack in edge retention.

Back