Looking for a chef bag

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loam

Reaction score
Hello,

I've plenty of rolls now, but I having hard time in finding some comfy big bag where I can ideally put my chef uniform, at least one roll, my notebook and some tools. Do you have something in mind that could work out for me?

The fancier it looks, the higher the likelihood it gets stolen...

I used to think like that—maybe 5 years ago—just taking cheaper knives in my travel kit. Now, I'll throw my best knives in the suitcase—lost luggage or theft is a rarity in my experience. Life is short, live in style, good design is a good thing. Why keep a Takada or Shig in a cheap bag?

I often wonder how often people rolling around with 1k+ worth of knives in their roll have them stolen. Most restaurants don't exactly employ the straightest arrows.

I have a bag similar to those mentioned that I got from Korin. I don't think any of these will hold "at least one roll" plus a chef's uniform plus other tools. Maybe it's because I'm a big fat fatty and my clothes take up a lot of room, but my chef's whites ain't fitting in one of these knife bags. They're knife bags after all, not general purpose bags that can hold knife rolls and a bunch of other stuff including clothing.

I have tried several things. What I have found works best for me right now is just a typical large Jansport backpack. One slot for laptop and paperwork. One slot for chef coat, apron, couple of knives. Smaller pockets hold odds and ends, pens, markers, thermometer, charging cables, earbuds, whetstones, etc.

Yeah I never had to lug around a knife bag or chef uniform in a professional capacity, but I'd lean to backpack too; backpacks are always just infinitely more practical than any hand or shoulder bag.
The main issue is actually fitting in the knife roll since it's relayively long; bring it along when shopping for bags. Generally speaking outdoorsy / backpacking backs are most likely to fit; they tend to be slimmer & taller, allowing you to fit longer items, even when it's only a 30 liter back. The only caveat is that such taller bags can pose issues with clearance for helmets.

@Gregmega has anyone ordered a backpack from your company? Edge/Asphyx combo, with a pocket on the bottom?
We’ve had interest before, but a backpack has always been on our list to try out. We did just finish a pretty cool stealth bag with a secret-ish knife compartment on the bottom:

In preliminary sketches we felt like a backpack may be cost prohibitive since we hand make everything here… It’s difficult for us to compete when the companies that build their stuff in India or China can price their stuff at ridiculously low prices, like the bag that Cleancut just completely knocked off of our design 😂. But still we endeavor on…

Last edited:
like the bag that Cleancut just completely knocked off of our design
I'm not totally sure about that. A bag like a clutch in which you can carry knives isn't completely revolutionary. Do I have my doubts they have never seen one of your bags? Sure. I have also seen bags/rolls with holders on opposite sides before, also nothing super new.
Your bags are great and premium though. The Cleancut bag doesn't have lots of features which make yours awesome. The magnets are great, maybe even a tiny bit too strong but still. The pouches in which you stick the handles are big enough. I have seen way too many you barely can fit a handle in or not at all. In general a lot of knife bags are too small and you can't even fit 240mm knives into them. The bigger pouch in the middle for utensils is great. Yours also have a handle and additional strap if you fancy it. The material is more than solid...
I have an Edge Slim for some years now and it holds up great and I love it.
For EU folks it sucks though. Not worth with shipping and Vat + custom duties. It' s really hard to find knife bags and rolls in Europe in general. I was lucky that a buddy could bring one along with him.

Back