Looking for a couple new knives. Please come talk to me!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanukihimself

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese, but a western is not out of the question

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No, but I might want one

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200, but its flexible depending on what i can find, +/- $20 aint gone kill me

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? Lots of veg slicing, herbs, boneless proteins, just a general workhorse knife

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None, just adding to collection

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Mostly pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Mostly Push/pull, occasional rocker, occasional chopping

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Really looking for a general line use knife that can stand up to the rigors of pro kitchen use. I have a 210mm Kurosaki Gyuto in white 2, and i have an older Tojiro Nakiri that are my go to's, and im looking for a gyuto a little smaller than the 210 as sometimes it is a little big for my working environment. I love my 210 and use it when I can focus on and take time with what im doing, but sometimes i dont break it out because i dont have the time to properly take care of it during the rush.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Ive really been liking the look and the properties of a Ginsan knife with nashiji finish. Of course looks matter, but thats not everything to me, but in the current situation, I cant try any new knives in person.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I really need the spine and choil rounded, but if i have to do it myself, thats fine. I want something thats not going to require immediate re-handling because of crappy F&F on the handle/ferrule.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? I would love something with nice food release and no wedging, but i can adapt to most anything.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Im fine with touching it up every couple days or so, but i cant fool with extreme metals like ZDP189 currently

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Mostly on restaurant style HD plastic boards, im guessing polypropylene. I have a black walnut one at home that i use

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yea

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) I am also looking for a 6000 grit waterstone, I have a Norton combo 1k/4k waterstone and a flattener, and i would like to get a 6k to round all that out.

-----Thanks for stopping by to chat with me. So it started out with me looking for a taller 150mm petty for general line work, and then realizing how much i used to love my 180mm santoku i used to have for its 3 virtues. I work at a very small restaurant, where its mostly just me doing prep and line work. I occasionally have a helper, and on very busy nights the head chef will step in a help me thru the rush. We make EVERYTHING in house, even to our own detriment some times and the head chef likes to over complicate menu items and make them a little too fancy for our clientele; whatever, its your place. The reason i mention this is to convey the "general" use of the knife because i go from slicing mushrooms and herbs, to cutting salami and lomo, to then slicing cooked chicken, then supreming grapefruits. I really like my 210 gyuto, but like i said, sometimes i dont have the time that i want to ensure its not laying on a wet towel, or maybe its just too big to be laying on the table where im working with all the other **** going on around me. I dont really want to go back to a santoku, even tho i know it would be useful, i really want that gyuto shape with the pointy tip. So i have decided thru a week of online research that im looking for a 180mm gyuto with some stainless properties. I have scoured many websites, one of which is not cool to mention on here apparently, and theres just so much out there and with the use that this thing will see, I cant justify dropping serious money (~$400) on a knife right now. I WILL pay for quality and i love quality stuff, but Im not trying to show off or have a knife roll queen. I'll link a couple ones that have stood out to me and Im open to any and all suggestions.

tanaka ginsan santoku I know i said i didnt want a santoku, but this one is nice looking and Ive hear good things about dealing with K&S

Tanaka ginsan gyuto I wish K&S offered this, but i only found this site late last night and this knife seems perfect for what im looking for but im wondering how the quality compares to K&S stuff

Once i found the tanaka on K&S i thought that was what i wanted, but i really want the gyuto shape. Right before i went to bed, i found japanny website and was curious about it because there was exactly what i thought i was looking for, 180mm, gyuto, nashiji, and a reputable maker. Again, i need a workhorse that can be kept sharp and do all kinds of stuff, hell, sometimes i need to walk my knife on the board. These are by no means the only 2 im looking at, but the more i look, the more i realize how much is out there and the pool gets larger. So, thanks for reading my short story here and i hope some of yall will talk me thru this porcess. I would really like to learn about who has the best heat treating on their knives going on now because thats what I think separates the hundreds of Joe Schmos from the mack daddy makers that are sought after.

-Just to wrap it up, im mainly looking for a 180mm gyuto, i like the ginsan properties, but ive never tried to sharpen that steel, so i know nothing about it. Id really like it to have a nashiji finish to contrast the KU knives i have.
-I'd also like to pick up a inexpensive petty 120-150mm for detail work and hand work. I saw some on japanny for $60-$80 that seemed like they would do just fine.

Again, thanks for looking and I hope that what im looking for is clear, but im certainly open to options.

Here are a couple of ideas...

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=100553 - Nearly an exact match of specifications (180mm blade, nashiji-clad ginsan steel), but I don't know anything about the choil though.

https://www.**************.com/katksa18.html - Semistainless, but it's "stainless enough" and you won't need to worry about the type of boards in use. It's also far below your budget. Spine and choil are rounded.

https://www.**************.com/takamura6.html or its santoku variant, Takamura HSPS Santoku 170mm (6.7") - These are well-renowned by the forum.

Last edited:
appreciate the replies here, i like that watanabe, except for the finish, im really looking for a nashiji. The cost would get a little high with shipping from japan.

Also, qapla, 2 of those links seem to be broken, at least on my end

Parbaked, thanks for the offer, had i not found exacgly what i was looking for I was about to hit you up over that knife, it looks gorgeous. Should i need another one I will hit you up.

I ended up going for a Shigeki Tanaka 180 ginsan gyuto from japanny as it was the only place i could find one. K&S had a santoku just like it, but i really like the gyuto. Not sure if japanny ships from Portland or Japan, but I will report back here whenever it comes in.

Just note that the Tanaka's not from KnS, don't have rounded spines and choils. But can be remedied with some sandpaper.

Just note that the Tanaka's not from KnS, don't have rounded spines and choils. But can be remedied with some sandpaper.

Yea i read that, but i wanted one NOW, and apparently i got the last one from japanny. I may have to do some work on it myself, but I enjoy DIY stuff and getting to customize and modify my own knife will be cool. I just wanna tell all yall how nice you have been around here

Back