Looking for a Nakiri for prep

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Liewwing, Dec 7, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 7, 2019 #1

Liewwing

Liewwing

Liewwing

Hi everyone,
    I’ve read many of the threads on this forum to try to get an idea of what I should buy. I need, or believe I need, a Nakiri for veg prep every day. I’m using a santoku at the moment but am getting frustrated as on longer cuts I’m not always going right through and have to resort to rocking which I find inconvenient and slow for the longer cuts.

The Shinko Seilan has been recommended several times in this forum and the price looks good, but it’s always recommend to someone looking for home use. Is it good for working with every day in a restaurant?

http://www.knivesandstones.com/shinko-seilan-nakiri-180mm-ku-aogami-super-by-shiro-kamo/

I also have heard the name Yoshihiro in other places and found this Nakiri, any thoughts?
    https://www.echefknife.com/product/...akiri-japanese-vegetable-knife-shitan-handle/

Any opinions on which is better on another option?

I have heard of the Watanabe Nakiri at 180mm but it’s not in stock, is it worth waiting for or one of these others is just as good?

I have no preference on steel or stainless (should I?) and budget is really only €150, but would be willing to push to 200€ if necessary for my needs.

Thanks for all the info that I’ve read so far, I look forward to reading the replys

2. Dec 7, 2019 #2
    Welcome to the forum... Moving post to the kitchen knife section

3. Dec 8, 2019 #3

aszma

aszma

aszma

longer cuts I’m not always going right through and have to resort to rocking

This problem might be because you arnt sharpening your knife properly? Even on my smaller blades as long as they are sharp they go through product smoothly. Another reason might be blade length more blade more cutting surface longer cuts.

In terms of the knives youve highlighted ive used a yoshihiro santoku in blue 1 and found it to take an edge nicely and i really liked it cant speak on the other nakiri.

Brian Weekley likes this.
  4. Dec 8, 2019 #4

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

I just ordered the last Watanabe Pro 180mm Nakiri for my granddaughter last week. I was going to give her mine but after making a soup last week I decided to order her one for her. She's a 20 year old nursing student that likes to cook and cuts a lot of veggies. I love the Watanabe Nakiri and over the past year plus of having it it is still holding a great edge with only stropping it before use. He should be making more of them soon as they don't stay out of stock for very long.

5. Dec 8, 2019 #5

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

I think the OP might be referring to the fact that the santoku has too much belly in the profile, and wants a flatter nakiri?

If you’re having problems with a lack of length, why not get a gyuto?

I’ve only ever had one nakiri (a Catcheside, which was awesome) so I can’t comment on the ones above. Everyone does love the Wat, and I’d testify to the quality of his knives in general, for sure.

Echotraveler and Brian Weekley like this.
  6. Dec 8, 2019 #6

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

For the best all-rounder get the Watanabe pro 180mm.

Yoshihiro isn't a smith it's a brand that orders from a range of smiths. My first Japanese knife was a Yoshihiro gyuto and the quality certainly isn't bad but it's hard to generalise across their entire range.

7. Dec 8, 2019 #7

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

I agree the Watanabe Pro Nakiri is an excellent knife. I think I'll get my granddaughter the Pro 180 Gyuto as well to match her 180mm Pro Nakiri. The Blue #2 steel is an excellent edge retaining steel.

8. Dec 8, 2019 #8

Liewwing

Liewwing

Liewwing

Yes it’s the lack of belly on the Nakiri that is attractive.

As most of my prep is veg I just don’t need a Gyuto and I like the style of the Nikiri, since I got the idea to get one, I just can’t quite shake it

9. Dec 8, 2019 #9

Liewwing

Liewwing

Liewwing

A lot of love for the Watanabe, does the Shinko Seilan compare? The price tag obviously is a draw and I also hear good things...

10. Dec 8, 2019 #10

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

The Watanabe Pro Nakiri in Blue Steel #2 with a very nice Ku finish is excellent. This is the knife I decided to give my granddaughter as her first serious knife.

11. Dec 8, 2019 #11

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

Hopefully someone that has used one can comment. I've never had the opportunity, the choil shot looks promising but that's not a clear indicator of a good grind. For the price I can't see any obvious red flags.

Barring anyone stepping in with a negative opinion I think you should give the Shinko a go and let us know how you find it. The forum favourites tend to command a price premium and don't always offer the best value, going for a less known maker can be a good choice if you're very price sensitive.

12. Dec 23, 2019 #12

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

If you're still looking the Watanabe Pro 180mm nakiri is back in stock.

http://watanabeblade.com/english/pro/nakkiri.htm

13. Dec 23, 2019 #13

dafox

dafox

dafox

I had a wat but I prefer the Wakui nakiri, lighter, thinner behind the edge, less expensive, comes in 165 and 180mm.

14. Dec 23, 2019 #14

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

Did you have the Watanabe Pro? The 180 mm Nakiri Pro series I got from Watanabe is extremely thin and light but I heard that some people were not as happy with his other lines of knives.

Noodle Soup and dafox like this.
  15. Dec 24, 2019 #15

dafox

dafox

dafox

Yes it was.
    https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/watanabe-pro-165-nakiri-new-in-box.34845/
    Looking at the pics and weighing my Wakui I see where they have the same weight (my Wakui has a rosewood handle tho). I also prefer the thinner grind of the Wakui, I didn't care for the "shoulders" on the Wat.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  16. Dec 24, 2019 #16

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

You can’t go wrong with the Wat. But you need to be gentle with the OOTB edge because it comes with a very thin edge and might get a microchips if you handle it roughly. I put a micro bevel set at 30 degree angle and it cuts like a dream.

here is a comparison of watanabe nakiri which is more laser-like profile compare to a shig nakiri (workhorse profile)

Attached Files:

Kristoffer and CiderBear like this.
  17. Dec 24, 2019 #17

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

Thats what my Watanabe Nakiri looks like and yes he sharpens to a 1 degrees angle and leaves it up to the user if they want to change it. I contacted him about sharpening stones and sharpening angles and bottom line - I just decided to keep what he did and strop it and it still cuts like a dream. I'm going to give it to my granddaughter tomorrow for Christmas as she cuts a lot of veggies and I ordered a replacement for myself.

18. Dec 24, 2019 #18

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

Yes, you can do this at home. But not in a pro environment where we dice 20kg onion a day

M1k3 and CiderBear like this.
  19. Dec 24, 2019 #19

dafox

dafox

dafox

Quite a bit different than the one I had:
    https://imgur.com/Pa9W4OV

20. Dec 24, 2019 #20

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

I loved the Watanabe nakiri, but there are a lot of under appreciated ones out there too. I’ve enjoyed the Hinoura nakiri. I haven’t tried the Wakui nakiri, but I’ve used many other knives by Wakui and they’re all great.

Does anybody have any experience with the Yoshikane SKD? I’m just trying to think of nakiri by makers I like that aren’t too bad on the wallet.

21. Dec 24, 2019 #21

Jville

Jville

Jville

210 Toyama Nakiri

22. Dec 24, 2019 #22

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

is that your wat?

that is way out of the budget..

23. Dec 24, 2019 #23

Jville

Jville

Jville

Oops, you are definitely right. I totally missed that aspect, my bad.

24. Dec 24, 2019 #24

dafox

dafox

dafox

phoosty likes this.
  25. Dec 24, 2019 #25

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

Just my suggestion, aside from nakiri, How about a santoku. Still has sweet flat spot for chopping.

this is mutsumi hinoura santoku 180mm i got from KNS for 270$aud (190$us)

measure at 183x51
    Thick spine 6mm out of handle
    Very thin behind the edge

26. Dec 24, 2019 #26

J.C

J.C

J.C

Supporting Member

27. Dec 24, 2019 #27

Echotraveler

Echotraveler

Echotraveler

Im gonna vote for you trying out a 210mm gyuto. I do a lot of veg prep, and the gyuto is simply unbeatable for pull cuts, push cuts, rocking...specially works for baton carrots, thin scallions, onion small dice.....simply put all cuts...

Santoku and Nakiri knifes are more for house use. Gyuto is comercial use, good luck.

28. Dec 24, 2019 #28

Paul6001

Paul6001

Paul6001

Banned

Midsummer likes this.
  29. Dec 28, 2019 #29

Lol-x

Lol-x

Lol-x

I can't fault my 165mm Kohetsu HAP-40 Nikiri.
    That HAP-40 steel gets as sharp as a razor in no time and stays that way for a very very long time.

30. Dec 28, 2019 #30

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

Received my Watanabe Pro 180mm Nakiri today (three days shipping from his shop to my house).

Attached Files:

dmonterisi likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted