Looking for a new deba for home use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyuke

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Deba

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

165mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

at home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

breaking down fish, cutting through fish bones for mid/small sized fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

none, first deba knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

push/pull, sometimes rock cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

not easily chipped when cutting through fish bone

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

wood and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Hi folks,

this is my first post here and I am looking to get a deba knife. Right now I am looking at these ones:

Sakai Takayuki Kasumitogi (White steel) Japanese Chef's Deba Knife 165mm
Yukifuji Chu-kasumi Gyokuhaku-ko (White Steel) Japanese Chef's Deba Knife 165mm
Sakai Kikumori (White No.2 steel) Japanese Chef's Deba Knife 165mm

are they any good? Sorry if is not the right channel to post.

I have a 150mm for sale which is well within your budget. It's a bit shorter than what you specified, but a shorter deba is typically more nimble and easier to learn with.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/takeuchi-150mm-deba.61119/

You should buy it!

I have the sibling 165 mm of that one from Greasylake and it's a decent one for the price. Does not rust or stain easily and patina is coming nice slowly. It's sturdy enough for middle size like branzino, orata, trout, and probably salmon too. I have bought some knives recently and am on a budget otherwise I would have bought it…

Attachments

• 92E0D28E-807B-429D-8EB9-4C683609AC0B.jpeg
    92E0D28E-807B-429D-8EB9-4C683609AC0B.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2E98EA93-76A9-45B9-963E-514678D46DF2.jpeg
    2E98EA93-76A9-45B9-963E-514678D46DF2.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 0
Back