Looking For a New Japanese Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funge107

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new to the site as a poster but I've been reading the forums for a while.
There is a wealth of knowledge that everyone has and I've learned some. I'm ready to take the plunge in purchasing my second Japanese knife and would love to get your thoughts and/or recommendations for the best one for me in my price range.
I was looking at the Miyabi Birchwood but from reading the boards it seems that these knives are not liked much. I'm not a Pro chef , just a Home chef that loves being in the kitchen and loves pro tools. I just want a good knife that keeps an edge and doesn't constantly need resharpened/honed after every chopping job and is nice to look at. I started to sharpen learning on my Mac and didn't destroy it LOL. I am retired and have time now.
Was ready to pull the trigger on a Tanaka R2 / SG2 Damascus Gyuto WA 210mm yes i love the look of Damascus, is there any other recommendations or just go for it?

-USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in
gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
-right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-WA

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
-Mostly veggie prep (slicing, chopping, mining, etc). Maybe some meat trimming but nothing with bones.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
MAC Professional 6.5" Santoku Knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Chop Slice Mince Dice
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
-I don't necessarily need to improve over it, just replace.

Better aesthetics
Damascus was thinking R2 ?

Comfort med handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
-I prefer a lighter, knife but not a laser

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion;
less reactivity with food
I'm willing to put in extra effort with maintenance .

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I prefer something on the harder side that I don't have to sharpen as often.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Yes End Grain

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
-yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
-no

Honestly, I don't know of too many other knives that fit your criteria.

I think theres Sukenari wa Hap40 and zdp189 damascus, which are powder steel like sg2/r2. Aside from that. . . I don't really know. There are a lot of knives that are not damascus that may be more fun for you, if you're willing to put in the time since you say you're retired.

The knife geeks here like to try carbon and wa handle at least once. But yeah, edge retention is the king with powder steels.

I beat you to it and with a forum sponsor and cheaper price and a forum discount.
I love Bernal and have known Josh since he first set up a few blocks from my house, but on KKF, it is best to link to forum sponsors first, if possible...

Be aware that there are some comprimises with damacus (suminigashi) knives. They tend to not have much distal taper and it is a bit of a pain to refinish and etch them after thinning. It also adds a lot to the price of the knife without adding to the performance at all.

It's worth looking at Shiro Kamo Syousin Suminagashi (or the upgraded Shinko Kurokumo version). R2 middleweight with a really useful balance between thinness and food release. A tall knife with a gently curved profile. The R2 is not carbon easy to sharpen but it is not too hard. Holds a good enough (bur not carbon sharp) edge for a long time.

Also look at Kurosaki Shizuku. It's a wide bevel almost laser thin knife. There is a "diamond damascus" hammered pattern above the blade path.

the takayuki damascus would be a good option. the 210 is right at $450. Ginsan stainless. i have the 240 version and its an amazing performer. not a lightweight knife, but a solid middleweight. its available at cktg.

Back