Looking for a new knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helios.Z3R0

Reaction score
So after taking off half my fingernail with a dull knife while cutting peppers at work, I have decided to expedite my efforts to obtain a new knife. I am still not satisfied with the amount of information I have reviewed, however I have run out of patience.

America.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef Knife.

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No true preference, though the Japanese handles are aesthetically pleasing and intriguing.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
~10"/270mm. I am aware those two are not matching values.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Not in particular. I wash, dry, and store my meager collection after every use. However I do not currently wipe down the blade unless moving from one ingredient to the next or more importantly from protein to vegetable.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~500 USD.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home, but it should be work ready as well.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
I intend this to be a general purpose knife. Slicing and portioning meats, slicing and chopping vegetables, mincing herbs.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
N/a

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I primarily use a pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I primarily use a rocking motion, but upon review of your glossary I also find that I used a push cut motion as well, primarily when slicing as opposed to chopping.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I would like this to be my champion blade. The one I reach for in the general sense. I have a beater block set I bought off a television program (Ronco's 6 Star cutlery. Garbage.) and I have a J. A. Henckels Pro 10" that I love. However the shape makes it a bit awkward when performing tasks such as dicing an onion. I have a paring knife of the same style, but I do not want to switch blades just to cut up a staple vegetable.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Aesthetics are largely irrelevant. I largely enjoy the minimalistic. There's something about it that screams professional to me, but the performance is all I care about.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I will admit my experience with knives is limited currently. I am intrigued by the Japanese handles and am leaning more towards them. I'm finding that with my existing pieces I feel a sort of bond, like it is part of me while using it. Sounds like some sort of hokey nonsense while writing it, but if I am to find my knife I figure I should be honest. This is why I am leaning more towards a Japanese knife, since they take so much pride in what they do, and traditionally Japanese blades have been that symbol.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I am not too concerned with this. A knife that takes time to learn means that I will become more confident in how it handles as I learn how to use it.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I would think that once or twice a year sharpening would be sufficient. I do not want to have to sharpen it too frequently as it wears the blade, and I am looking for this to last a couple decades at least.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes*

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
*Yes. I am currently learning how to use a whetstone and have a dual sided 1000/6000 stone with a seat.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. I am always on the lookout for better products to care for my equipment, and I will be purchasing a blade guard of some kind for this, which is intentionally not included in the budget.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I realize I might be too specific on my needs. I am not looking to replace my Henckels, I'm looking to compliment it. I want it to be my champion, and my Henckels to be the support.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to buy a couple of different knives to see what you like best. Easy thoughts... Wakui, Tanaka in the $200 range. Kochi from JKI in the $250-300 range. (https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com) Based on a few meals with a 165mm petty, I'd be tempted to give the Munetoshi from JNS a try (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com). So much depends on what you cut, what tradeoffs you want to make (knives falling through food vs food release, etc). It might be a good idea to call Jon at JKI and talk through options... he's got a ton of various knives so there's something there that will satisfy you

Those are great suggestions, but seeing that you use and really like the Henckel, I would personally steer you towards the Gesshin Uraku Stainless 270 Wa-gyuto. In terms of performance it’ll be worlds above what you’re used to without being overly difficult to care for.

I used a slightly different knife (still from the Gesshin Uraku stainless line though) when I was working professionally in an izakaya setting and I loved it because it was capable of handling pretty much everything I threw at it without having to baby it like some other knives I’ve had.

Still though, I’d trust the opinion of the folks at JKI more than mine so I second the idea of just calling them.

Back