Looking for a new (or used) Blade!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjidub

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef’s (gyuto or kiritsuke)

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 or 240mm (leaning toward the latter)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No, but I’m interested

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$400

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Primarily at home, with some professional work here and there

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

All-purpose, esp. slicing meats and such. I have a lovely carbon nakiri I use for veg, a stainless-clad utility I use for reactive things and boning chicken, and a cleaver I use for heavy duty things (breaking thru bones, cutting squash, etc).

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Miyabi Kaizen II Chef’s Knife. (This was my first ever proper knife, and while it has served me very well, the blade is a bit too small for me and has a crazy amount of flex.)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch, with some Finger Point for slicing.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push-cut/rock (depending on what kind of blade I’m using), slice, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Stronger (& a bit heavier), longer, no Damascus

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Bamboo

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If it helps give a sense of where I'm at, here are a few that have caught my eye: Yoshimitsu AS, Kato Ginsan, Zakuri AS, and the Kohetsu HAP40 (all 240mm gyuto)

How's the belly on the Yoshi? I like to have the optionality to rock now and then when I'm rolling :)

I'm deciding between that and the Kato Ginsan (which looks like it can rock out nicely—perhaps a bit too much, even?). The latter was recommended by Mark over at CKTG...

Yoshikane is just about the last knife I'd try to rock-chop with.

Yoshikane is definitely not a rocking knife, it is a broken tip away from being a really narrow nakiri. JKI is restocking some Kochi soon, those have much better profile for rocking.

How's the belly on the Yoshi? I like to have the optionality to rock now and then when I'm rolling :)

I'm deciding between that and the Kato Ginsan (which looks like it can rock out nicely—perhaps a bit too much, even?). The latter was recommended by Mark over at CKTG...
Yoshikanes are very flat, like over 60% of the profile is flat. Though they cut very well, I wouldn't really rock with them.

What's the core steel on the Kochi?

Has anyone tried the Kato Ginsan before? I'm pretty into the look of it.

flat towards the rear of the knife working up to a "belly. Great for slicing and cutting rolls because it's not to high at the heel. Also great knife for cutting vegetables Because it will be cut perfectly and evenly because the blade is flat to the cutting board. In the end the choice is in your hand on which profile do you prefer and your cutting style.

Finally landed on a blade thanks to y'all and Jon over at JKI!

I went for the Yoshimi Echizen White #2 240mm w/ a Migaki finish. It came within the same week I ordered it, beautifully & carefully packed, and it's freaking GORGEOUS. This is my first time using a white steel, but it seemed well-suited to my needs and it's fun to try something different :)

Still getting used to the feel/size (I've been cooking with short knives for a long time now), and will probably give the edge a wee touch-up, but I'm a very happy Benji.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 20221104_185100.jpg
    20221104_185100.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221104_185647.jpg
    20221104_185647.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Congratulations, that looks beautiful Benji! White #2 is one of my favorite steels (the Blue #2 in your nakiri is awesome as well). I hear you on the length, and unfortunately the majority are 210 or 240, but for me the sweet spot is somewhere right in the middle. I'm confident you'll be whipping it about like a petty in no time though. 😁 Talk soon!

Back