Looking for a recommendation for first gyuto - Yoshikane, Kunosuke, Tanaka...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawst95

Reaction score
Hi all. New member here. Looking to purchase my first gyuto. I'm not entirely new to Japanese knives as I have a Tojiro DP santoku and a single bevel 150mm petty that my Japanese friend bought me from Seki City. I have a couple of stones and I've managed to sharpen my knives successfully (by my standards) and will work to continue to improve my skills.

I've done a bunch of research and have my eye on a couple knives and would like to get your reactions. I'm looking for something that will grow with me (i.e., not a starter knife), that I don't have to completely baby (so semi-stainless or stainless clad?), and has good F&F.

A few knives I'm looking at:

1. Konosuke Sumiiro SLD 210 (chesnut) or 240 (ebony) (leaning toward 240)
  2. Yoshikane Amekiri SKD Gyuto 240mm Stainless Clad Nashiji
  3. Yoshimi Kato (Kintaro) Nashiji Gyuto 240 mm Aogami Super
  4. Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji Gyuto 240 mm Lite
EDIT:
I'll also add two Yoshikanes listed on EE's website--the SKD hammer finished and SLD damascus. The hammered finish appears to be on sale. I've heard that damascus can have negative effects on performance.

I did speak to someone from K&S and he suggested that the Yoshikane Amerkiri may be too thin (and therefore too delicate) given my experience level.

Here's the form:

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese Handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210 or 240mm (leaning towards 240mm)

Do you require a stainless knife? No, but don't want very reactive carbon either.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $500

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? Veggies (mostly slicing), mincing ingredients, slicing/trimming meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None. I mostly use my Japanese santoku and petty.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Slice (push/pull), rocker, chop (infrequent)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? Performance, edge retention, sharpening ability, aesthetics (probably in that order)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Maple wood end grain.

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? I'm looking to improve.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Yes. Was going to get a nice 400g and 5/6k stone. I have a 1000g stone and a cheap Amazon.com 500g stone, which I've used to successfully fix some microchipping in the petty.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
See above.

Last edited:
I think it's against forum rules to format these posts in a clear and sensible way as you have done above.

;)
Ha! I do policy work for a living and so formatting documents for clarity is what I do pretty much all day. The funny thing is, I thought my post was totally sloppy and it was (and is!) bugging the heck out of me. I had to get back to work so couldn't spend anymore time on organizing it:)

Welcome to the forum! You have some very reputable knives on your short list. I don't have experience with all of them, but I do have work by Yoshimi Kato in AS. Not that line, but the Koishi. I am very pleased with the steel and with the grind. It sharpens pretty well, though not as easy as some other fine carbons, and it has great edge retention.

I just received the Yoshikane SKD hammer finish from Epic Edge yesterday. While I have not put it through any serious paces, I am thrilled with it. I would say the grind suited me better than the Koishi, but again that is only based on a few test carrots, potatoes and tomatoes. The handle is just meh. It is a d-shaped ho wood, which I will swap out as soon as I can fashion a new one. I would say that at that price it is punching way above its weight though.

You would not go wrong with either of those 2!

I might also suggest a Gesshin Kagero from JKI. It is HSPS, srs-15 I think. It is my daily driver at work. It has outstanding F&F. While not as pretty as the knives on your short list, it is an outstanding performer, with excellent edge retention, great profile and very comfortable to use.

I have the Amekiri and had the Tanaka f from your list. Of the two the Yoshi is the better knife, nice flat spot, very nice grind, At this point in my knife adventure I need to like em a lot to keep them and I'm keeping this one.

The Tanaka is a good knife and probably more forgiving of any new guy mistakes. It has a little bit of belly - less than the Torjiro but more than the Yoshi. I had one, liked it but could not find the love. Did sell it once, bought it back then finally sold it again.

I've no experience with the others but from what I've read there's not a bad choice among any you've cited.

Sorry for the hijacking, but this Munetoshi sounds very interesting. Which length do you have and which of those 2 lengths would you recommend? And what do you find so wonderful about this knife? @Olsen

I have the standard 21 and 24 cm kurouchi gyutos which are not super duper heavy but no lasers either. They sharpen up very easily and get very sharp too. I do not find the steel too reactive either. Most importantly they are super cutters. I do not say that they are better than anything else but for they price they are excellent and for any price they are excellent.
:p :D

I haved the Yoshimi Kato gyuto you mention on top, i liked a lot, i also use pinch grip.

Thin behind the edge, round spine & choil, well balance.

But the problem is easily get chip if you sharpen at very acute angle, if you're using good cutting board then is fine.

Back