Looking for a rough stone—what's your fave?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by DitmasPork, Dec 27, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 27, 2018 #1

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

I've been acquiring J-knives for about 6 years, but have a very limited set of stones. I've gotten by with just a Bester 1200, Shapton Pro 1500, and a Gesshin 6000.

I'm now looking to get a rough stone. Apologies, too lazy to comb through past threads where I'm sure the subject's well covered.

These two below are on my radar—opinions? Are there others I should consider? I know the SG is splash and go.
    Gesshin 400
    Shapton Glass 500

Mucho Bocho likes this.
  2. Dec 28, 2018 #2

Cashn

Cashn

Cashn

Can’t comment on anything else because I started with a Shapton glass 500 and never saw a reason to get anything else in that grit level. Doesn’t have a nice sound or feel but it does work and doesn’t load up.

3. Dec 28, 2018 #3

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Ditmas, do you want the low grit stone for thinning or sharpening the edge? Or a little of both?

4. Dec 28, 2018 #4

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

DP,
    Shapton Pro 120 ... too Glassy for Hard steel, doesn't release enough particle .... i hear this is only good for soft steel /// Ive been using to thin a blue 1 honyaki and its not the best.
    Norton 220 -- what ive been using the most for a thinning job on that blue 1 honyaki .... im using the stone on its side to prolong the life ... it has about 15 hours in it before there is nothing left ... i know because im at just over 11 hours of rubbing
    DMT st0ne -- have 2 but both are pretty dead ... got them for stone flattening. they work faster but i think they only have 1 or two major thinnings in them
    ATOMA stone ... lasts longer than DMT ... Still 2-3 thinnings.
    Chosera 400 -- its fast and works well ... I HATE the base on it. probably my most versatile stone. pro version is the same with no base.
    Cerax 320 -I hear is the fastest in the Super cutter line but never tried
    Sigma Power 320 -- Im loving the other 2 sigmas they are very fast and durable stones ... I will only buy ceramic after finding these.
    Bester 700 grit - no idea (maybe similar to your 1200?)
    King 200 silicone carbide .. no idea

Stone Recommendation anybody would give is based on what you currently have. Judging by your Bester 1200, Shapton Pro 1500, and a Gesshin 6000.
    I would say for the time being to:
    Not buy: DMT diamond / norton/ shapton 120 / king
    Maybe buy: cerax 320/sigma / bester 700 /
    Buy: Chosera 400 / Atoma 400 Diamond if you want to also use it to flatten your current stones

3-4x grit size i find is a reasonable jump generally*.
    Some will Agree with me ... some will not ... cheers mate.
    L

5. Dec 28, 2018 #5

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Or get a Kasfly sandpaper holder and have whatever grit you like.

DitmasPork likes this.
  6. Dec 28, 2018 #6

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I’ll piggy back on Lucas’s comments and say cerax 320 and sigma 240 are my fave stones for thinning so far. Sigma is a little pricey but it’s really worth it. Chosera 400 and gesh 400 work well to cover up the scratches and are part of a good thinning progression. They’re also just a lot of fun to use.
    So many people praise king 300...it’s a helluva stone for $33 but cerax 320 feels so much better and holds water forever for only a few bucks more.

DitmasPork and LucasFur like this.
  7. Dec 28, 2018 #7

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

Chosera 400 is my #1 favorite stone out of everything I've tried including all different grits.

DitmasPork likes this.
  8. Dec 28, 2018 #8

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Some good info. here. Most of my blades are pretty thin behind the edge, do not need major thinning. My thick carbons I keep them that way.

I use the X large Gesshin 400 at the school where it gets used a lot. Knocking the shoulders off V grinds Victorinox, Mercers etc. Like the large size. Many small size coarse stones can wear down to nothing rather quickly. Major thinning
    rather use a belt. The chosera 400 is a slower dishing coarse stone good for minor thinning.

DitmasPork likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2018 #9

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

A bit of all I suppose—only coarse stone I’ve used was the rough side of a King Combo—left that at my parent’s, it’s too small. Don’t see myself doing heavy thinning. Used in sharpening progression only when needed. However, really want to use it to sharpen my moms cleaver and other knives that have been neglected.

10. Dec 28, 2018 #10

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Well I love setting bevels with gesh 400, chosera 400 will be slower but also has advantages. Cerax 320 probably is the best of both worlds IMO.

DitmasPork likes this.
  11. Dec 28, 2018 #11

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

But Keith is right too here. If you’re working on beater knives mainly I’d likely prefer gesh 400 for the edge setting.

12. Dec 28, 2018 #12

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

MTC kitchen sells cerax 320 for cheap locally in NYC (+ on sale this week, etc)

For the 30 micron grit range, is there a consensu on Glass 500 vs Cho400 or is this all personal prefernce?
    I'm somewhat tempted to look at GS series due to storage needs being so minimal.

13. Dec 28, 2018 #13

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Thanks for the opinions on coarse stones, appreciate the insightfulness on which coarse stones might m=be useful for specific tasks—a lot to consider. Really feel like a coarse stone is long overdue in my kitchen. Might sound lame and not based on any performance aspects, but I really like the look and size of the Shapton Glass.

What might serve me best is something versatile. My mom's knives which I'd like to fix are beaters—my personal knives are a mix of good carbons (mostly white, a couple of blues), and a couple of J-stainless (powdered steel and a ginsan).

14. Dec 28, 2018 #14

PappaG

PappaG

PappaG

I have a cerax 320 in my closet, unopened. Now I really want to give it a try.
    I'm also very interested in the gessh 400 and cho 400. Both are on my list to try in the future.

15. Dec 28, 2018 #15

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Permasoak that cerax for optimum results.

fimbulvetr and Knife2meatu like this.
  16. Dec 28, 2018 #16

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Thanks for posting this! I've seen conflicting information around...

The 320 Cerax will be of more use to me as a permasoaker than not.

17. Dec 28, 2018 #17

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I thought for some reason it was a splash and go myself awhile back. But mine has been safely soaking for 6 monthes now.

18. Dec 28, 2018 #18

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

With the exception of touchups, regular sharpening I make one progression each side at a low angle 3-5% that is just a little thinning behind the edge. Then a second higher bevel at around 15%. Just eyeball the angle one low one higher. That slight thinning will keep your blade cutting well over time. Way I was taught yrs. ago, also Dave Martel in his old DVD teaches same technique.

Most of your knives are fairly thin so this works well. Old beaters & thick edge blades you have to do more thinning to make them cut better. I run into that with students that's why the X large gesshin 400. If knife needs plenty work take it home & thin it down on a belt & a bucket of water. I've used coarse diamond plates to thin, you have to lift the blade off the plate after each stroke at low angles or you can really scratch up your knife. Atoma 140 works using lighter pressure letting diamonds do the work. Using too much pressure will wear out your plate.

19. Dec 28, 2018 #19

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

Chosera 400 also my favorite stone. If I could only have one for everything that would be it. Also in agreement, not the fastest for thinning or major metal removal. Would want something else for that. Still haven’t found my favorite extra coarse. Naniwa SS 220 is currently in the lead.

20. Dec 28, 2018 #20

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Added a SG220 to the Chosera 400, and an Atoma 140 to keep them flat.
    But automotive sandpaper on linen, P120, is very effective as well.

21. Dec 28, 2018 #21

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

"banned name" Black 180. Cuts fast retains water pretty nicely and stays flat a long time.

22. Jan 3, 2019 #22

MartinT

MartinT

MartinT

global ceramic

SeattleBen likes this.
  23. Jan 4, 2019 #23

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

GorillaGrunt

Supporting Member

All around, no budget concerns - Gesshin 400. If it’s your only coarse stone you’ll tear through them if you’re working on a bunch of knives or doing a lot of thinning.

Edges only - Chosera 400, not great for thinning

Thinning only - 220 pink brick

Heavy repair, the sort more suited to a belt grinder when you’re determined to do it by hand (significant reshaping or very damaged edges) - Sigma Power Select II 240. Sounds and feels like hell, wears like hell, gets the job done.

Jury’s still out - Shapton Glass 120 and 220

Haven’t tried but interested based on the buzz - Shapton Pro 220, Cerax 320

Matus and DitmasPork like this.
  24. Jan 7, 2019 #24

galvaude

galvaude

galvaude

Thinning : imanishi 220 pink brick

Sharpening : king deluxe 300 or DMT coarse 325

Shapton Glass 500 was nice for sharpening but I went through it fast and I think it’s not worth its price for what it does.

25. Jan 7, 2019 #25

Ruso

Ruso

Ruso

Sigma 240 that is being mentioned, is it from Sigma Power Select II line?

26. Jan 7, 2019 #26

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Good info, cheers!

27. Jan 7, 2019 #27

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Knife2meatu

Pink Brick 220 + King 300 is a very solid choice, value-wise. Or so it seems to me, anyway.

Of course, as with any value-based argument, it's largely a matter of cost. But there's a whole lot of work to be wrung out of those two stones, based on sheer size alone; and it has been my experience that they can be bought for good prices with a little luck and shopping around.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  28. Jan 7, 2019 #28

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

yea its fast but feels like death and is super loud

Stonetherapy likes this.
  29. Jan 8, 2019 #29

Stonetherapy

Stonetherapy

Stonetherapy

Sadly accurate description, although mine is lasting well, (not sure if that is a good thing in this instance...).

30. Jan 8, 2019 #30

Maccne0718

Maccne0718

Maccne0718

I like the Shapton glass 500 as well for sharpening, but might not be enough for thinning since it wears fast like you said. I got the extra thick one, so that helps a bit.