Looking for a smaller / lighter Chinese cleaver (for a friend)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am helping my friend to find a smaller Chinese cleaver. He and his wife were using my CCK1303 for a few weeks and liked it - now they want something similar (or a little smaller)

KNIFE TYPE
Chinese cleaver

right handed

would prefer traditional or WA handle

about 190 - 210 mm on edge

carbon or stainless clad carbon would be preferred, stainless is not out of question though

Budget: 200€

KNIFE USE
Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for: mainly vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? not sure, honestly

Push cutting and chopping -> the edge profile not be super flat (e.g. like Moritaka cleavers) more along the lines of the CCK1303

Improvements

Aesthetics does not play much of a role

Comfort: weight not more than about 300g.

Easy sharpening (de-burring) would be of advantage

Edge Retention: Better than CCK1303

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? He will soon (I will teach him)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Note - this knife will be compared to the CCK1303 in terms of performance and edge holding.

Sure way to get there the budget way maybe to just get another 1303 & cut an inch off the front end?

You can grind down the height in addition, but the 1303 isn’t tall, maybe no need to re-grind vertically?

Last edited:
Another option is CKTG tall Nakiri, looks like a small version of 1303: Yoshimitsu Fugen White #1 Tall Nakiri 180mm

https://www.**************.com/fuwh1tana18.html

Thanks for your input so far - just a quick note - the CCK1303 would not need downsizing - it would be about the upper limit size-wise.

The tall Nakiri does look interesting as is the large kurosaku nakiri.

@Chuckles - do you have experience with the Misono cleaver you have linked? It would be a bit on the heavier side, but otherwise a possible candidate.

The Sugimoto 4030 looks interesting too - any experience around here?

I have the Sugimoto 4030 and CCK 1912 (stainless version of the 1303). The Sugimoto is heavier with a wide bevel and thicker blade, falls through food better but more unwieldy even though it's shorter. CCK is lighter with a flat grind and thinner spine, like a laser-style cleaver and feels more nimble despite the extra length. I don't think they'd be happy with the Sugimoto if they liked the CCK. IMO they'll get used to the extra length, but if that's a hard limit then they should look at taller nakiri and up their budget.

@spaceconvoy thank you!

@ian haha, good one :D Until I get a cleaver done the pandemic will be a thing of a past. But your comment with CCK may well turn out correct - the knife is really good for its price. But I am yet to find a usable online shop that offers CCK products (nothing in EU as far as I know).

I have the Sugimoto SF4030. It’s the same steel as the famous Sugi #6 cleaver only smaller. Steel is white #2, easy to sharpen, but it’s reactive. The knife feels great in the hand. Will not be easy to find though: I bought mine from Rakuten a few years ago for around 225 euro.

I had an exchange with Jon and so far it seems like the small stainless-clad-white2 Gesshin cleaver could fit the bill. If my friend agrees to it, then I will get one for him and one for me :)

I haven’t used the Misono cleaver. Koki used to have a 180mm small Chinese cleaver that I came close to buying several times. It was never in stock when was ready to pull the trigger. I don’t see it there anymore.

The gesshin cleaver you mentioned seems to have a lot of rock to the profile. I wouldn’t mind it at the top but would like a flatter heel.

Some like Chinese cleavers with a pronounced curve. I do not. My idea of a usable Chinese cleaver is one that can cut three stalks of celery in one chop, with no slicing motion.

I haven’t used the Misono cleaver. Koki used to have a 180mm small Chinese cleaver that I came close to buying several times. It was never in stock when was ready to pull the trigger. I don’t see it there anymore.

The gesshin cleaver you mentioned seems to have a lot of rock to the profile. I wouldn’t mind it at the top but would like a flatter heel.

I was thinking about the same cleaver from JCK. I got it from my mother because
she has arthritis and couldn't use a large cleaver any more. It's still on the site but hasn't been in stock for ages. It's a great knife at that price.

Steel KG-20 Chinese Cleaver 180mm (7 inch)
Blade length: 180mm
Blade Width: 86mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Total Weight: 306g

Wasn't sure about posting the link

Thanks. The amount of curve is a good point, I will give it more thought.

Daovua could be sn option, but I read some pretty discouraging comments about their HT and grinds, so I am not sure whether it would be worth the risk.

@rogue108 - would you be so kind to PM me the link? Thank you

You can send an email to Michael at Knife Japan. He does business directly with like 20 different (small) blacksmith shops around Japan. He's done some custom order stuff before, and I'm sure he can find someone. Most of the knives are on the less expensive side too. He's really responsive, so I'm hopeful you can find something out.

For instance, there's this 210 nakiri that's 57 mm tall, 238 g, and aogami 2 at $154 USD. You could maybe order an extra tall version (CCK is like 88mm tall)

https://knifejapan.com/nojiyama-marunaka-kurouchi-nakiri-210mm-stainless-tang/

Back