Looking for a Specific Laser 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
I'm looking for something kinda specific that I am having trouble finding. I want a 210mm (200-225mm) stainless laser with a very thin tip for stuff like onions. The knife needs to be forward balanced, with a thin tip, but also I'd like a full machi because I don't find the small necks comfortable. Something like a Yoshikane performance would be ideal, but they don't seem to make them with taller neck. Takamura R2 felt nice in terms of performance, but again, the grip was a bit too small for me. I also tried a Kono HD2, but the tip is not super thin as I'd like. I could thin it, but would prefer something that comes with my desired specs out of the box. Below is an abbreviated questionnaire for reference.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
Gyuto (thin "laser" grind)

Are you interested in a Western handle or Japanese handle?
Either

What length of knife are you interested in?
200-225mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes, Stainless or Semi-stainless

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Ideally $150-300, but more important is to find if any knives match all of the criteria I'm looking for.

KNIFE USE
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? What knife, if any, are you replacing?
This will be to supplement the 240mm and 180mm knives that I have. I would like to have a super thin laser, non-reactive 210mm that can handle being left on the counter for a little bit without having to worry. Tip needs to be able to fly through onions.

Specifics Requests:
- Tall Neck (full machi)
- Balance in front of heel

- Very thin tip
- Heel height 45mm+
- Handle not too small

Last edited:
I don’t owned Kobayashi 210mm, but seems liked it has the best tip distal taper out of all R2 lasers if high performance tip is what you prefer.
Top Kobayashi 210
Bottom Takamura 210

Attachments

• 3642B81D-6B0F-4214-9052-E5160BEAD69D.png
    3642B81D-6B0F-4214-9052-E5160BEAD69D.png
    418 KB · Views: 40
  • 70C02299-8EA5-4C2F-B2E8-F3E05AEA4F0E.png
    70C02299-8EA5-4C2F-B2E8-F3E05AEA4F0E.png
    460.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I don’t owned Kobayashi 210mm, but seems liked it has the best tip distal taper out of all R2 lasers if high performance tip is what you prefer.
Top Kobayashi 210
Bottom Takamura 210
This looks great. The video on the togo site shows it with a slightly handle-heavy balance. I wonder if this is available elsewhere with a lighter handle.

Why not have one commissioned? It may cost a little more than you have budgeted but you can get what you are asking for. I would try @HSC /// Knives
That would be my next plan. I was just wondering if anyone already made something with these specs that I could purchase from a retailer.

Maybe a Gengetsu with the handle mounted a bit further back.
The Bernal Wakui that I have meets your description, extra long neck that I like, but its stainless clad W#2, tho not very reactive.

I had a few cheap Yo Js with very fine tips - Hisamoto Inox, Masakane. I found them not to be so much better at any tip work, whereas the extra flexibility most of them have there I found rather displeasing with onions.

One option that might work for you is Deep Impact 210mm. Not flexy, very thin at 10mm from tip, normal at 35mm to tip, good tip tapering worked very well with onions.

I'm surprised though, Konosuke HD2 with a fine edge beats all the above easily.

Maybe a Gengetsu with the handle mounted a bit further back.
The Bernal Wakui that I have meets your description, extra long neck that I like, but its stainless clad W#2, tho not very reactive.
Just to clarify, I'm looking for the "taller" neck, and not necessarily "longer". Ideally the neck would be similar height to the handle, so that it's near flush on both sides

I had a few cheap Yo Js with very fine tips - Hisamoto Inox, Masakane. I found them not to be so much better at any tip work, whereas the extra flexibility most of them have there I found rather displeasing with onions.

One option that might work for you is Deep Impact 210mm. Not flexy, very thin at 10mm from tip, normal at 35mm to tip, good tip tapering worked very well with onions.

I'm surprised though, Konosuke HD2 with a fine edge beats all the above easily.

I've asked vendors, and similar knives tend to have balance near the bolster. Are any of these balanced in front of the choil?

Nope. Deep Impact is still best suited - wide neck and mine had balance in front of the bolster, which made it almost aligned with the very heel on that unit IIRC.

Your Kono has all the answers - at worst thin it some, but have you tried it with a really fine stone? Lots of difference when I used various fine stones with it. For destroying onions it works its best with SP5K.

Nope. Deep Impact is still best suited - wide neck and mine had balance in front of the bolster, which made it almost aligned with the very heel on that unit IIRC.

Your Kono has all the answers - at worst thin it some, but have you tried it with a really fine stone? Lots of difference when I used various fine stones with it. For destroying onions it works its best with SP5K.

Yea it's plenty sharp, but the stock tip is not like a Yoshikane, or my other thinned knives. I was just trying to avoid having to do any work on my own. Especially considering the knife is so nice, I'd hate to grind it unnecessarily.

Just did mine full kasumi - not perfect first time around, but almost - grind is very straight. It takes well with being a bit thinner behind the very edge.

I don't doubt you get it sharp. What I was saying is that its abilities with onions decrease a lot when using a fine stone that still leaves a rather toothy edge.

I'm insisting because really, within my suggestions at least, Deep Impact won't fare any better, and will need thinning to even be as good.

Latest posts

Back