Looking for a splash and go for touchups

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by rickbern, Apr 25, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 25, 2019 #1

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

I'd like to ask for a little advice...

I have a "complete" Gesshin soaking progression (400-2000-6000) but lately I've been thinking it might be nice to be able to just yank a stone out of the drawer and splash a little water on it for touch ups during meal prep. This kind of moved front and center when I tried to dice a piece of horseradish root (I use a fair bit of horseradish, this was a tough one) and my thin blades didn't love that.

Generally I use a Gesshin Ginga stainless, a Kochi carbon and a Munetoshi petty.

My knee jerk reaction was to get a Gesshin 6000 splash and go but they look a little on the sold out side now. The synthetic natural says it's best to soak, but that stone looks pretty interesting.

I thought about the shapton 5000 because I could pull the stone out and just spritz some water on it and place it on it's case. That actually sounds pretty appealing to me.

I don't <<think>> I'll use this as a main finishing stone, I like the 6000 I have, really just for during meal touch ups.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Apr 25, 2019 #2

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member KKF Vendor

6000 will be back in next week FYI

That being said, it works best when it is permanently soaked, despite being a splash and go stone

3. Apr 25, 2019 #3

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

Chosera 3000 might be a good option? I'm thinking that 5000 or 6000 might be a bit too fine. You could use a 3000 like a strop and still leave a little bit of a toothy edge.

4. Apr 25, 2019 #4

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

Fred in PA

I'm stropping on the Chosera 3000 for this purpose, and finishing with a few strokes on a compressed buffalo hide strop lightly loaded with green compound. I'm not sure the stone is even necessary - the strop may be enough by itself, but haven't really tested this yet. I got the strop from Burrfection, who has his detractors on this forum. But the strop is really nice. Or you could go with just the 3000 as Michi suggests.

5. Apr 25, 2019 #5

slickmamba

slickmamba

slickmamba

I'd also say get a chosera 3000

6. Apr 25, 2019 #6

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Strategically when I’m doing touch ups I’m just putting a quick fresh edge back on until I do my full progression again.
    If I was in your shoes I’d grab something around 4k.

7. Apr 25, 2019 #7

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

The Chosera / Naniwa Pro would be an excellent choice. With a Belgian Blue as a cheaper alternative.

8. Apr 25, 2019 #8

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Check our Cleancut.eu they have a 4k splasher that's super nice. Bought it recently and it's lovely to use. Can either be splashed (per their website) or quick-soaked for a couple of minutes (according to the Cleancut guys).

9. Apr 25, 2019 #9
    My suggestion would be to permasoak all of these stones - then you will have them always ready to be used and would not need to buy another stone(s).

10. Apr 25, 2019 #10

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

Matus, thanks for the suggestion. That’s what I’ve been doing, I was thinking a splash and go would be a little neater, less water around. I’ll probably just keep doing that, although the chosera seems interesting

11. Apr 25, 2019 #11
    In that case the Chosera 3000 is definitely a good choice. Also have a look at Shapton Pro 5000 and Shapton Glass.

12. Apr 25, 2019 #12

Nife

Nife

Nife

Gesshin 6K diamond plate (diamond 6000 stone kit). In my opinion more convenient than Shapton, and excellent for stropping.

13. Apr 25, 2019 #13

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Shapton pro 5000 does work for what you are looking for. Feels odd, but convenient and works well.

14. Apr 25, 2019 #14

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

Nife, that's a great idea. Frees up my existing 6000 to travel across town to my gf's house. The shapton does have the appeal of costing 1/3 but what kind of a knife nut thinks of that?

15. Apr 26, 2019 #15

inferno

inferno

inferno

well you can 3 stones instead of 1 :)

16. Apr 26, 2019 #16

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Shapton Pro 2k puts a nice toothy edge for prepping meals.

17. Apr 27, 2019 #17

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member KKF Vendor

its not exactly a diamond plate in the sense that a DMT or atoma is... more like a resinoid based diamond stone

18. Jul 13, 2019 at 9:07 AM #18

Fynbo

Fynbo

Fynbo

I find that stropping on leather glued to a piece of wood with diamond paste or similar compound, is enough most of the time. Its a very cheap solution, which is very fast and simple for daily use. 5- 10 strokes on each side and you are good to go.
    When a stone is needed I use a JNS 6000 Matukusuyama synthetic, its splash and go.

19. Jul 13, 2019 at 9:33 AM #19

mack

mack

mack

Take the dick micro (sounds funny, I know), the best honing rod ever. Ten times better than stropping on leather and a lot easier to use than a stone.

My 2 cents.

Mack.

inferno likes this.
  20. Jul 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM #20

rickbern

rickbern

rickbern

Supporting Member

Didn’t realize I left this thread hanging. I answered this in another thread at the time, but I ended up getting a Shapton pro 5000. Here’s what I said:

I have a full set of stones that I permasoak and I just bought a shapton Kuromaku 5000 to use as a convenient touch up stone.

It’s really easy to live with. It comes in a ventilated plastic case that doubles as a stone holder. I pull it out, put one side of the case on a silicone pot holder so it doesn’t slide around, squirt some water on it, give it a minute to moisten and then give my knives a few strokes to refine the edge. It dries mostly in a few minutes and then goes back in its case where it lives a thoroughly unobtrusive life on an open shelf.

21. Jul 13, 2019 at 1:27 PM #21

mack

mack

mack

This is a very good choice! To me it only seems to be too much work to do this during a cooking session. And I would never strop one of my knives, it only gives you a rounded edge. That's why I voted for the dick micro.

Mack.

22. Jul 13, 2019 at 1:59 PM #22

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

Ivan Hersh

I have been using my 2000 grit when just wishing to do a quick touch up.

23. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:35 PM #23

inferno

inferno

inferno

Cool!

I think my fav stones for quick and easy touchups is the glass series. because they completely dry in like 5 minutes. and you can get them in almost any grit you want. the 3k is a fav and also the 6k gray "hc".