Looking for a Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
For anyone who read the questionnaire at the top of this thread, a couple of my requirements have changed. First, I would like to have a 270mm rather than a 240mm. Second, I would set my budget at $200 plus/minus $50. So far, the one just above seems to be the one, so I would really value any opinions one way or the other about it from you guys who make up what to me is the most informative, civil, and to-the-point forum I have ever seen.

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score
You kinda have opposing requirements. IMO for filleting thin and light works better. For slicing thick and stiff works better. For carving poultry I wouldn't bother with a sujihiki in the first place.

btbyrd

Reaction score
It's better for fish than for beef or other big mammal stuff, but for $200 I like the Togiharu 270 suji with dimples/grantons. Has some flex, but not a ton. Just enough to be useful for taking the skin off things. A sporty mid-lightweight model that lacks the heft and stiffness you want for cutting beef rib steaks or whatever, but is a good performer on everything else. If you get one, have Korin do the initial sharpening to get it opened up. It has that weird 90/10 kind of bevel that Korin is fond of, which may not be to your liking. But it's easy enough to adapt to.