Looking for a Takamura R2 240 or 210 choil and taper shot

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by DisconnectedAG, Oct 19, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2019 #1

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Hi folks,

Can some kind soul who has the Takamura R2 gyuto post a picture of the choil and the spine taper?

I'm also interested in learning a little bit more what the edge geometry on this one is. Is it a typical 70/30 Japanese mass market ShunXell grind or is it a thin respectable 50/50?

I am not looking to buy it, but it came up in a Reddit convo. People are stuck on saying "just get a vnox" whenever somebody new asks for advice but if people are home chefs and want something nicer, the Takamura seems like a great choice at not much over 100 dollars.

2. Oct 19, 2019 #2

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

I have a Chromax. I'd post shots of it but it's been heavily abused and thinned and geometry changes and been tipped.... But it's a 50/50 bevel (or close enough to the naked eye I'd call it one). It has a slight convex/hamaguri grind to it (it's a laser, so it's not very dramatic).

DisconnectedAG likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2019 #3

drsmp

drsmp

drsmp

4. Oct 20, 2019 #4

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

As far as I know the ~$100 versions (soldered bolster and half tang available in R2, chromax, vg10) don’t exist above 210. I think they’re excellent knives for value/performance, but from what I’ve heard about the reddit knife scene, am not sure I’d recommend them to anyone predominantly on that platform.

The more expensive versions with the welded bolster and full tang (which also can overlap 180 & 210) seem a bit thicker, at least from the ones I’ve seen… I’ve seen a lot, here is the Takamura situation from a little while ago
    IMG_8976.jpg

5. Oct 20, 2019 #5

slickmamba

slickmamba

slickmamba

I'm fairly active on the subreddit, but would never really recommend it unless the person had decent knife skills, or are willing to learn how to use/care for something that thin.

the cktg one already got posted. here is another [​IMG]

DisconnectedAG likes this.
  6. Oct 21, 2019 #6

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Supporting Member

A situation you say? :rolleyes:
    Just looked at the updated knife glossary. Looks like "KAD – Knife Acquisition Disorder" to me. But I'm not a mental health professional. ;)
    Seriously... very lovely group of knives.

Carl Kotte likes this.
  7. Oct 21, 2019 #7

slickmamba

slickmamba

slickmamba

The hana trio :eek:

8. Oct 21, 2019 #8

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Big thanks everyone, much appreciated!

I hear the feedback that people say that it may be too thin for new users and I get the point. I was more thinking of a very specific use case - an experienced home user who wants to buy something nice and will value it for life but doesn't necessarily want to go face first down the jknife well - they will most likely be gentle and reverential with the knife, so something like the Tak makes sense, as they are invested in keeping it safe.

Totally agree that if you're at uni or cooking school plus living with ten flatmates then an R2 laser ground to near zero isn't a best option unless you want to learn to harness your anger.

9. Oct 21, 2019 #9

suntravel

suntravel

suntravel

Blazen compared to R2 Migaki:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost same geometry, tip ist a bit thinner on the Blazen. Both grond convex to zero out of the box and both need a microbevel.
    Regards

Uwe

kayman67 and CiderBear like this.
  10. Oct 21, 2019 #10

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

DisconnectedAG

Thanks so much dude. I love this community.

CiderBear and Carl Kotte like this.