Looking for advice on purchasing one or two knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triddle

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a couple of knives for my wife and I. We often prep food simultaneously so I'd like to get two good knives to replace the set of knives we've been using for years. The knives we have are really not very good, but they were a gift and are functional. We make a decent living nowadays and we love to cook together so its about time we got some nice knives to make the whole process more pleasurable.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
1x Chef's knife + 1x Chef's or Santoku

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed (wife also)

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm - I could go a little longer and wife could go a little shorter though, but two 210s would be good.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$500 USD for two knives (we have US dollars sitting in a US bank account we'd like to use to buy these knives). If we could get away with under $400 that would be better,

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Everything listed above except for breaking poultry bones (although my knife may come in contact with bones in it's life I wouldn't be trying to break them with it)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Bacarrat kurve pro set (as here https://www.bunnings.com.au/baccarat-kurvepro-6-piece-knife-block-set_p0173581).

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
I use a pinch grip, wife uses a hammer grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
A lot of push cutting, chopping and occasional rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I would like something with good edge retention, the Baccarat knives need constant sharpening to keep them sharper than a tennis ball. I'd like a relatively flat profile, but not so flat as to exclude rocking entirely. I like practical-looking aesthetics, not a big fan of Damascus or highly polished finishes, although I wouldn't exclude them from consideration. My wife and I both treat our equipment with care, so we don't need anything bullet proof, and reactivity is no problem at all. That said I would like it to be able to hold up to e.g. nicking a chicken bone when I part it and smashing garlic without great risk of damage.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
We use wooden cutting boards exclusively.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, although I'm fairly mediocre at it.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Certainly interested in improving.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Could be, could budget an extra $100 USD or so to it. I currently use an old whetstone that belonged to my father and a plain leather strop. No idea of the stone's details, seems to be a natural stone, not particularly coarse, does a good enough job of keeping my current knives functional in combination with the strop but perhaps I'd be better served with a modern artificial stone for fancier knives.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Would probably prefer high carbon to stainless, but probably one of the tougher alloys. Not married to that idea though, and a stainless cladding might be nice.

Thanks for any help!

If it's to be purchased from a US-based vendor, then what do you think of these? (They're available at 20% off on sale.) They're available in different-colored handles if you want to disambiguate which is whose.

https://www.korin.com/HSU-PIFGY-210
For stainless-clad knives, what do you think of these?
https://mtckitchen.com/sakon-ryuga-powdered-steel-gyuto-210mm-8-2/https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...to-180mm-to-240mm-3-sizes?variant=29537643011
I'll also point out that 500 USD ~= 700 AUD. Not sure if that helps in picking out a local Aussie-made knife though.

Thanks Qapla'. All three of those look like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The sale on the Suisin is pretty compelling, could get two of the shipped to Australia for less than $400 USD at that price, and the different handle colours would be kind of cute too, lol. Not sure how I feel about an 80/20 grind, being used to 50/50. I guess it's just a matter of adjusting my sharpening angle to maintain that edge?

On buying an Australian knife, I did look at a local knife maker but there's a significant wait time on getting anything from him and it's more like $700 AUD for one knife. I feel like there's a lot more value to be had in the Japanese knives, as much as I'd like to support a local artisan.

Check knives and stones , they are based in Sydney and they will ship fast , getting anything from USA to down under is a nightmare at the moment

Might be a good point you fellas have on the shipping. Was keen to clear out my US bank account but I can always exchange it - should have done that in March.

I like the look of these two knives

https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...ducts/tamahagane-san-gyuto-chefs-knife-210-mm
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...ko-blue-2-carbon-steel-gyuto-chefs-210mm-8-25
Like I say I'm more inclined to high carbon steels, but that's a bit of a hangover from being a sword enthusiast when I was young. Dunno if it's worth paying the extra $100 AUD per knife to get the blue 2 vs the VG5 steel.

This one also looks pretty nice, but I prefer the aesthetic of the handles on the above two, and especially the Suisin Qapla posted

https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...ucts/masamoto-sohonten-vg-series-gyuto-210-mm

Might be a good point you fellas have on the shipping. Was keen to clear out my US bank account but I can always exchange it - should have done that in March.

Like I say I'm more inclined to high carbon steels, but that's a bit of a hangover from being a sword enthusiast when I was young. Dunno if it's worth paying the extra $100 AUD per knife to get the blue 2 vs the VG5 steel.
I think you can use USD with PayPal on the aus site too. You can email James and ask him or someone else can probably confirm here.

I haven't used the knife in question, but blue 2 is great. If you load up your leather strop with a diamond compound you can get away without sharpening for months with home use.

Back