Looking for Light & Thin 150mm Petty Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The last time I posted I purchased a Shibata Koutetsu Bunka during lockdown, but since then I left my corporate job and decided to follow my passion and enroll in culinary school. I'm 3 months into a 15 month program and loving it so far.

After several Stages, I have wanted a petty knife when I need to be very very precise cutting smaller vegetables or herbs for garnishes. I ordered a Takamura HSPS Petty 150mm which arrived today, however, I'm not happy with the fit and finish and the handle doesn't feel great in my hand. There is a gap between the top of the tang and the handle material that runs all the way down the handle, and even with my small hands (I'm a 5'7'' male) the small Western handle did not feel comfortable. This Kato Nashiji Petty 150mm seemed like another good candidate (and a good deal), but I also wanted to check with the KKF brain trust to get some opinions.

Thanks!

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No, but if going with semi-stainless I want stainless cladding and a less reactive steel like AS.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional kitchen

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing/chopping small size vegetables and finely chopped herbs (e.g. chives) where high degree of precision is required. Trimming meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None. I primarily use a 210mm gyuto and 185mm bunka.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
For a knife this size I'm comfortable using a push/pull or using the tip.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Looks are not important - I don't want to pay extra dough for premium handle materials or a Damascus pattern.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Light knife, should be very thin, and height should be in the 30mm-35mm range.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Food release would be nice, although not sure how important this is with a petty knife given the relatively smaller surface area.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I want high edge retention so that I can get through a full day worth of prep with only a honing rod. I'm willing to sharpen 1-2 times per week.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
I have a Shapton Glass 1k & Chosera 3k. I strop on CKTG Roo Leather with 1.0 micron Richmond spray.

I was in a similar situation, essentially looking for a wa-handle equivalent of the Takamura R2 because I didn't like the skinny western handle. I was on the hunt for quite a while and after many tries of different petties, I finally landed on the Kei Kobayashi SG2 150mm petty with the non-lacquered handle and am happy with it. The knife is laser thin and ground like the Takamura, the SG2 holds an edge well, the handle is much more comfortable, and all within your budget as well.

Some notes that I remember from other trials that I ultimately let go of:
  • Kei Kobayashi SG2 with the red lacquered handle - the 7-side handle sounded interesting, and it certainly looks beautiful, but ultimately it was much too slick (especially with wet hands), which led me to buy the same knife with a different handle. Nowadays I would just switch the handle myself, but back then I hadn't tried replacing handles yet.
  • Konosuke GS+ (mentioned above) - even though the GS+ looks thin from the spine, it actually convexes quickly behind the edge and doesn't feel nearly as thin as the Takamura when cutting.
  • Shibata Kotetsu R2 - mine was a 135mm ko-bunka, but the few Shibata's I've had are quite similar. They're thin to the point that I actually feel they're delicate, and I actually made a slight deflection on the edge of mine. Don't know how I got it as I only cut softly on given the delicate feeling.
  • Makoto Kurosaki SG2 - although still thin, it felt slightly thicker and stiffer than the Takamura. I think it could be a good choice, but it just didn't match the thinness of the Takamura that I was looking for
  • Miyabi Birchwood SG2 - Definitely the most aesthetically striking, between the damascus and birchwood handle, but it's middle-of-the-road thick so it didn't fit the bill

Congratulations on following your dream!

If you like the Takamura blade, but not the handle, maybe just replace the handle? Scads of great handle makers here on the forum.

I was in a similar situation, essentially looking for a wa-handle equivalent of the Takamura R2 because I didn't like the skinny western handle. I was on the hunt for quite a while and after many tries of different petties, I finally landed on the Kei Kobayashi SG2 150mm petty with the non-lacquered handle and am happy with it. The knife is laser thin and ground like the Takamura, the SG2 holds an edge well, the handle is much more comfortable, and all within your budget as well.

Some notes that I remember from other trials that I ultimately let go of:
  • Kei Kobayashi SG2 with the red lacquered handle - the 7-side handle sounded interesting, and it certainly looks beautiful, but ultimately it was much too slick (especially with wet hands), which led me to buy the same knife with a different handle. Nowadays I would just switch the handle myself, but back then I hadn't tried replacing handles yet.
  • Konosuke GS+ (mentioned above) - even though the GS+ looks thin from the spine, it actually convexes quickly behind the edge and doesn't feel nearly as thin as the Takamura when cutting.
  • Shibata Kotetsu R2 - mine was a 135mm ko-bunka, but the few Shibata's I've had are quite similar. They're thin to the point that I actually feel they're delicate, and I actually made a slight deflection on the edge of mine. Don't know how I got it as I only cut softly on given the delicate feeling.
  • Makoto Kurosaki SG2 - although still thin, it felt slightly thicker and stiffer than the Takamura. I think it could be a good choice, but it just didn't match the thinness of the Takamura that I was looking for
  • Miyabi Birchwood SG2 - Definitely the most aesthetically striking, between the damascus and birchwood handle, but it's middle-of-the-road thick so it didn't fit the bill
This is amazing info, thank you! Is the non-lacquered handle on the Kobayashi smaller than the red lacquered version?

Congratulations on following your dream!

If you like the Takamura blade, but not the handle, maybe just replace the handle? Scads of great handle makers here on the forum.
Thanks! Did not even consider this option. Not sure if I love the TM blade enough to go down this rabbit hole, but it is a good plan B.

For utmost precision I like a mukimono (single bevel sorta petty) for these tasks. JNS has a Toyama on sale.

This is amazing info, thank you! Is the non-lacquered handle on the Kobayashi smaller than the red lacquered version?
Happy to help! The length of both were the same (115mm), but I didn't actually measure the circumference. From memory the lacquered one did feel slightly bigger, not sure if that was due to the difference of the 7-sided vs octagonal shape and how it fits in hand.

Happy to help! The length of both were the same (115mm), but I didn't actually measure the circumference. From memory the lacquered one did feel slightly bigger, not sure if that was due to the difference of the 7-sided vs octagonal shape and how it fits in hand.
Gotcha - I went ahead and pulled the trigger at the Burrfection Store which had the best price: Kobayashi SG2 Petty Morado 150mm. I'll let you know how it goes.

So I received the knife today, and unfortunately the tip is bent :(
Kobayashi Bent Tip.jpg

It is too bad since I really like the profile and how it feels in my hand. I could probably grind this out, but only if they give me a discount.

Oh man, that’s such a bummer. I hope they offer a full refund or swap for you.

I’m a bit late, but I actually have the Y Kato 150mm AS petty you linked in your original post. I like it a lot - it’s thin and light, easy to sharpen and takes a great edge.

Let me know if you want any photos or video of it so you can get a closer look - if you decide not to stick with the Kobayashi of course.

So I received the knife today, and unfortunately the tip is bent :(
View attachment 186414
It is too bad since I really like the profile and how it feels in my hand. I could probably grind this out, but only if they give me a discount.
That's real disappointing... Hope they'll exchange it for you as I'd hate to have to grind a brand new knife.

Glad the profile is what you were looking for though!

Back