Looking for some input on my sharpening lineup.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondocker

Reaction score
I have hole in the mid grit range, i'm looking to buy one stone immediately and in the future a second stone if need be.

Here is what I have right now:

Atoma 140
King 220

natural aoto
Then i have two finishers, roughly same grits: Naniwa ss5k and a natural finisher (which might be a touch lower than the 5k, more noticible 'tooth' and less polish)

So, I have a big gap in there currenty, I am interested in hearing reccomendations and reasonings for what to put before the aoto. my natural instinct is to pick up a chosera 800 or 1000 right now then something for a step betweenth and the aoto after I have the budget.

thanks!

Chosera 800 would probably fit the bill. Yet there are a lot of alternative versions. Just to name a few: JNS 800, king 800 or something from Gesshin line, or another diamond plate.

I believe you might get better answers if you also specify what knives are you going to sharpen.

I agree. Does this mean you are satisfied with your finishing stones?

hrc63

Currently my most often sharpened are Masamoto vg 240, global flexible boning, masamoto hc sugi 240, nenox g-series gyuto 210, nenox g series suji 240, and a masamoto suji 300mm (I think its CT series, has the sandlewood handle).

As pleased with the finishers as my wallet and skill allow.. I've yet to determine if the stones are less than satisfactory or if my are abilities preventing me from achieving more desirable results.

Chosera 800 is fairly hard. Since you already have a King 220, I might recommend the King 800. Nice stone, and will color the bevel nicely if you ever get a single bevel yanagi or the like.

I've heard good things about the King 800 on carbon. I just don't know how well they do on stainless which seems to be The majority of your sharpening jobs at present. I will say that pretty much all the Gesshin line seem to well on stainless as well as carbon. I'd be comfortable recommending them in whatever grit you need.

As to just not being generally satisfied with your edges if I read correctly, you may want to consider some different steels. Specifically, a good white #2 knife or white #1 knife will put a new dimension of responsiveness on the stones that most other steels just don't give you. If you haven't yet tried I think you'd be very surprised how quickly and easily good knives in these steels take a screaming sharp edge! One thing for sure, with a good representative knife in these steels, you can learn a lot quite quickly about sharpening because of the great feedback they give you.
Hope some of this helps.

In that range I use Chosera 400-600 and 800.
All good stuff.

I also use the 400 Suehiro Gokumyo Debado.
This stone is not for all, it is very hard and much finer than the grit indicates.
I'd say it is as fine or finer than the Chosera 800, closer perhaps to the Chosera 1000.
Still, I'd say that line is my favorite synth-stones of all I have ever played around with.

Shapton Pro's are also fine stuff ime.
I have them from 220 grit all the way up to 30K.
Some of them are designed for carbon, others for stainless, but I don't much bother with that.
I use them in a progression and depending on hardness, I will skip various grits along my way to a fine polish.
The 1K would do fine for your gap I'd say.

The JNS stones are very nice too.
Both the 400 and 800 should be able to bridge that gap of yours.
Which one you choose is a matter of preference, both will work.

Is there anything that could bridge the gap for knives I'd like to refine farther, yet be a great edge for my main Work horse which i prefer a tourist edge on? The least two stones i had in that pace were a super stone 1k and a bester 1200. I honestly prefer that grit range for my Work gyuto. Especially days where j Work both jobs :)

JNS 800 would work well in that lineup. I am not sure whether Gesshin 2000 would not be too big of a step from 220 grit. But yes - there was also good feedback on King 800.

Back