Looking for something specific

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heckel7302

KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi KKF brethren. I've been amassing a stable of japanese knives over the past year. I've nearly ticked all the boxes I want to tick at this point (I'm a box ticker, just the way I collect, it makes me happy) so for the next knife I have some specific criteria that will tick those remaining boxes in the j-knife category. Basically what I'm looking for is for a 210 gyuto, ideally k-tip, wide bevel in White #1, migaki or polished, no KU ( I have enough KU knives already), wa handle. Budget isn't really a consideration as long as it's under $1,000. The white #1 really limits things in the double bevel realm, but I don't have any knives in white #1 other than my kiridashi, and that doesn't really count, so I really want it to be that steel. I know it's much more common in single bevel, but that's not a rabbit hole I'm interested in going down. Slight preference for iron clad, but stainless would be ok too.

In list form thats:
Shape: 210 k-tip gyuto
Steel: White #1
Cladding: ideally iron, stainless ok
Grind: Wide bevel
Finish: migaki or polished
Handle: Wa
Budget: under $1,000

Basically all I can find that meets the criteria are Hitohira Togashi and Kagekiyo. I'd prefer a knife as close to 50mm tall as possible, and the 210 Kagekiyos all seem to be on the short side of things, especially the 210s. I'm also not hot on the lacquer handles on the Kagekiyos. So that leaves me with the Togashi offerings under the Hitohira umbrella. I'm certainly open to one of those (when one comes in stock again), but wonder if any of you fine KKF folk know of something I might be missing.

Of course I know that TF does white #1, but I want something a little more...refined...and they aren't *really* wide bevel with a crispy shinogi.

Jiro too, but doesn't really fit the criteria either.

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks anyway for the attempt. Konosuke was on the list before I snagged a Takada Blue 1 Suiboku. That ticked the convex sakai laser box (in a very good way).
maybe you should wait for Konosuke, but normal konosuke won't be that tall.

Latest posts

Back