looking for the solution for wrongly reshaped shinko seilan gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidsong908

Reaction score
Hi
great to find this forum that might help me to fix this miserable mistake

I bought a shinko seilan aogami super k-tip gyuto by shiro kamo and It's the first japanese carbon steel knife. i posted the image
Shiro_Kamo_KU_Aogami_Super_Kiritsuke_Gyuto_240mm_c__55425.1489322228.jpg

Kasumi method, iron-clad and the blade was straight like usaba when I got it.
but, which was a terrible mistake, I changed the knife shape into wa-gyuto(curved shape) because of the bent plastic cutting board,which the straight blade is not adoptable.
after 10 or 15 times of sharpening, the tip has been thinner and the not sharpened but the only burr got -remained. ive tried in few ways.killing the edge and reshaping, raising the edge about 15 degrees (usually, I do 8-10 degrees) and others, but I couldn't get proper sharpness,
please share any experience or ideas if you guys have. thank you

Welcome to the forum, I'm going to move your post to the sharpening section.

So, here’s the status
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1819.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG

As you can see, the straight shape is changed to gyuto, and the the tip is more thinner than the heel
it was sharpened by using 230 grit -> suehiro 1000/3000 combi stone-> 6000 polishing stone from JCK

Accept the new profile as it is. Doesn't look bad to me at all. I probably would like to ease the upswing to the tip a bit, having it start earlier, as with a common gyuto.
Can't see it from the photos, but my guess would be the new tip is much thicker behind the edge than you want. I would start by thinning at the lowest possible angle until the very edge has been reached. Use a marker and a loupe. Insist on the tip area and the one before. I like thinning along the stone.

Once the thinning done, sharpen by staying perpendicular to the edge. Turn the blade a bit and raise the handle as with a gyuto.

thank you for your advice, Benuser.
I tried thinning process more and it seems working haha it's not fully sharpened and still, burr has remained but it's getting better now
one thing i wonder is that kasumi forged knife can be affected by reshaping like inner hard steel can be revealed or soft steel can be decreased by too
much thinning process

Back