Looking for wide bevel, stainless clad, w#1..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to recap. My wa handled 200mm maboroshi has shoulders equivalent to Oprah Winfrey with shoulder pads. Yo handled 240 does not and the only thing wide about it is the gaps in the handle. But I second maboroshi is a cool stainless clad white 1

Get a Maboroshi. The steel is top shelf. Just got this 210 gyuto direct from TF today. Like my wa handled 240 I would consider this a wide bevel. To thin the knife you literally just set it flat on the blade road and go at it. Their white #1 is a joy to sharpen and you can't get anything sharper imo.

Also they send you pink towels.

IMG_20200111_123750.jpg
IMG_20200117_003504.jpg
IMG_20200111_235754.jpg
My Maboroshi for your reference in case you want to purchase, Others get luck i get trash grind..:(

Yeah, one part of me really likes TF knives, at least shape and what I hear about the steel, but I’m totally turned off by the fit and finish.

Yeah, one part of me really likes TF knives, at least shape and what I hear about the steel, but I’m totally turned off by the fit and finish.
The big reason when i put my eyes on TF also because the steel & shape, But turns out disappoint F&F & grind.

Someone told me Denka is another level F&F & cutting performance, but the price also super pricey.

I brought Maboroshi for around 500+ nzd, after i return the knife i got my Blue super with stainless cladding Yoshimi Kato (kintaro) for much cheaper price.

F&F was excellent, ebony handle with silver ring, marble buffalo horn, with wenge saya cover.
IMG_20200204_164020.jpg
IMG_20200204_162854.jpg
IMG_20200204_162905.jpg

Buy a Kogetsu/Goko Hamono... if you did, give feedback because I'm kinda eyeing for it.

My Goko is OK. it came super chippy, and with some grind issues. Ive since leveled out the bevels, and put a more conservative edge. The steel gets crazy grabby-sharp though.

Goko was the first Japanese knife I bought. It does get scary sharp, but the grind just has never done it for me. It would take a ton of work to even it out. It also loses its edge pretty quickly.

My Goko is OK. it came super chippy, and with some grind issues. Ive since leveled out the bevels, and put a more conservative edge. The steel gets crazy grabby-sharp though.

Goko was the first Japanese knife I bought. It does get scary sharp, but the grind just has never done it for me. It would take a ton of work to even it out. It also loses its edge pretty quickly.

I see because it was pretty tempting for me to buy it, and I want to know how was the HT and Edge retention compare to TF Nashiji (i don't think it's in the same range as Maboroshi, unless you compare with the Goko Kogetsu red handle one which I think it's mono steel white 1)

The grind is not the best by the looks of it but seems like a fun project knife, but if the HT is not that good, I don't think it's worth it.

I think mine was rated with a Rockwell of around 60-61 -- so a far cry from TF. I don't mean to be too harsh. I think the Goko is likely tougher as a result. It does take a wicked edge and I like the profile. But for me, it's not a knife I grab much anymore.

I didn't know what to expect, honestly. Retention isn't nearly as good as my White 2 knives. I don't know how much of that is the steel and how much the heat treat.

Didn’t Goko used to be like a $150 240mm knife? Kinda surprised to see it retail for $240.
Yup. Goko were a crazy deal when they were in stock at Aframes. $126 for a 240. The newer versions have the "traditional crafts" (dentokougeishi) red-dot sticker. Not the wide-bevel version but hey a lot of performance for a little coin.
413953984.jpg

Yup. Goko were a crazy deal when they were in stock at Aframes. $126 for a 240. The newer versions have the "traditional crafts" (dentokougeishi) red-dot sticker. Not the wide-bevel version but hey a lot of performance for a little coin.
413953984.jpg
but that is the sk5 version... the white 1 cost 5 times than that one, the stainless clad white 1 is in between and comes in wa handle

Didn’t Goko used to be like a $150 240mm knife? Kinda surprised to see it retail for $240.

Yeah, I got mine at the introductory price of like $100. Worth about what I paid.

As said above, a good project knife but nothing special really. I don’t hate the knife but it is just one of the beaters I keep laying around. It’s a good knife to lend folks to try out carbon.

I purposefully thickened the edge to avoid the chipping. Coulda just been fatigued steel from manufacture tho.

I have no idea how this sells for $200+. To each their own, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back