Looking to buy a Sashimi knive (Sakimaru Takohiki)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Hi there,

i am looking for a special kind of knife and was hoping you could give me hand:

KNIFE TYPE
I am looking for a Sashimi/Sushi knife. I prefer the Sakimaru Tahohiki shape over a Yanagiba. This is a purely aesthetical thing, but i just adore the shape.

Are you right or left handed?
Right.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese, dark brown handle: Ebony, Chestnut,...

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Length should be 300mm or more. Though more could be a pain to maintain and store?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
That really depends. Total max would be around 1000$.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Cutting Fish and Sushi rolls.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I have a Yanagiba without special properties that is ok, but will be replaced.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Not really, depends.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better slicing performance. Slightly slimmer blade.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
The knife should be a tool after all. I would be happy if it could have good aesthetics that i am able to remain. E.g., a mirror polish probably does not make sense since it is going to dull pretty quickly if the knive is actually used, right? No Damascus, for the same reason.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I am fine with the traditional japanese handles.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Smoother slicing. Easy to sharpen.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
It does not need some extreme edge retention since it is only used for a very specific job.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes, Bamboo.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
I currently own a 1000/3000 grit water stone and a leather strap. I will upgrade with 6000 soon.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
At first i just wanted a tool. Then i fell in love with the Sakimaru Tahohiki shape and aesthetics. Then i saw how many beautiful knives are out there, with excellent wood handles, mirror polish, saya with wonderful wood. But since it want to use the knive in my kitchen, it probably would be an unwise investment. So if you have a hint where to buy a handmade, good quality knive with reasonable pricing, i would be happy.

Something that could make sense:
https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-t...hite-1-steel-sakimaru-takohiki-sashimi-300mm/

I am very happy with my Watanabe Nakiri, but knives got more expensive there as everywhere else. Watanabe offers White 2 steel only. White 1 would be the better choice for this kind of knife, right?

There are some suspiciously affordable knives out there:
https://www.echefknife.com/product/...sushi-sashimi-japanese-knife-rosewood-handle/
Could that still be good craftsmanship?

If i could buy this without customs fee etc, i would be even more happy. But i cant reach Maxim from JNS and would not know another good store in germany.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow. Badass indeed. Could you help me judge Masamoto? Tax and customs will be hefty :/

Watanabe will make one for you for less than a grand. His "Pro" series is blue and he does offer white. I don't remember which flavors blue and white - and am convinced it doesn't matter for 99%users / applications. He has also gotten better about offering some nice handles to go with the knives.

Should note that a lot of home users find a 270 to be an ideal length (though mine are 300 and do everything I need).

Should note that a lot of home users find a 270 to be an ideal length (though mine are 300 and do everything I need).

I tend to agree that 300 isn't always necessary for home users. I actually use a 240 for sashimi and nigiri, but to be fair I still pull out a 300 for maki. Given the OP wants a sakimaru style, which has a less useful tip, he might want to still err on the long side.

Well the length idea is not only based on practicality. The good thing about 300mm would be that the knife would fit into a drawer...

Takohikis are very rare here I am afraid. I already heard of those knives. Unfortunately they are both sold out in 300 mm :/

Watanabe will make one for you for less than a grand. His "Pro" series is blue and he does offer white. I don't remember which flavors blue and white - and am convinced it doesn't matter for 99%users / applications. He has also gotten better about offering some nice handles to go with the knives.

A Watanabe in 330 would be 95000 yen. Saya 15000. Very hard decision :)

Ok, i see that 330 mm or the like are very sexy, but expensive, hard to get and less than practical. Now there are basically two contestants:
https://www.hocho-knife.com/sakai-t...hite-1-steel-sakimaru-takohiki-sashimi-300mm/
A Sakai 300mm with ebony handle and Saya included, for 511 $ which is rougly 54000 Yen.
Or the Watanabe with Chestnut handle (would someone know if he makes Ebony handles too?) for 61000 Yen, so roughly 560$.

Is Watanabe worth the added price? Since i already did business, i like to come back to him. But the double horn ebony handle and the sheath for the total price of the Sakai seems quite attractive...

Another that merits consideration - Suisin 300mm blue. As if the waters were not muddled enough.

https://www.korin.com/HSU-HAST-300

Had Wat Takobiki (270) and Yani (300), both fine knives.

Worth noting that the Sakai Takayuki is likely a consortium of makers and not any individual maker. (Any help here?) And that if something is wonky about knife, it will be on you to get it returned to Hocho.

Worth noting that the Sakai Takayuki is likely a consortium of makers and not any individual maker. (Any help here?)

Sakai Takayuki's Byakko line is made by Kenji Togashi.

A question, why i should choose a 330mm knife for cutting makis... ? There is a Sushikiri for this task and i think you would not need to pull more then maybe 3cm to do the cut ? (if not less.... I ask because i am a chef but i don`t have that much sushi experience...)

Greets Sebastian.

There is absolutely no reason at all besides „want to have one“ :)
I have a Yanagiba that also works fine. But, you know... and for sashimi I am sure I absolutely need this knife ;)

A question, why i should choose a 330mm knife for cutting makis... ? There is a Sushikiri for this task and i think you would not need to pull more then maybe 3cm to do the cut ? (if not less.... I ask because i am a chef but i don`t have that much sushi experience...)

Greets Sebastian.

well i don't know if 330 is really necessary, but for me (and i probably have bad technique), a 300 allows me to get the cut done in one motion, with no sawing, and just using the weight of the knife to avoid squishing the contents of the role out the sides.

I hope it pays off. Watanabe got more expensive than some others. But i love the Nakiri and it is somehow reassuring to have direct contact to the craftsman. Even if i am sure Watanabe is far more than a single person company these days? :)

What's he gonna ask his second week here?

Down Matus. Stay. :p

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 45
I decided to order a 300mm Sakimaru Takohiki from Watanabe. Thank you all for your input!

Nice! It'd be cool to see the result; I don't think there are too many takohiki users around here.

Just use a petty knife. I have been hearing lately how it is the most used and underrated knife as of late.

Back