Looking to buy my first knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrymeows

Reaction score
My partner and I were planning a trip to Japan for Nov this year and I thought maybe I'd check some knives out there and make a purchase. However, with the situation right now, I don't think we'll be making the trip anytime soon. So I'm trying to look into getting some recommendations from you guys. My current knives were gifts.

Australia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210-240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
AU$500

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional kitchen

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
All kinds of prep work from veges, to slicing meat, to filleting whole fish.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Global G2 & a VG10 Damascus 180mm Santoku

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Varies based on what I'm doing. Mostly pinch & finger point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut for more delicate things & chop most of the time.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Workhorse with a higher edge retention.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Doesn't matter. I like all these patina talks, but not sure how to maintain them. If I do end up getting one, I'd do more reading into them. I do maintain my current knives pretty well and keeping them clean and dry even during service.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Something balanced

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Ehh, never really thought of ease of use. Something balanced and I don't mind maintaining on an often basis.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I do a lot of spring onion/scallion and chili rounds and I find myself bruising them after a while with my current knives due to losing edge retention; slicing fish becomes spaghetti... I conveniently hone with a ceramic rod while at work, but I read stories of honing rods being a no no and I should just look into making a simple leather strop for myself. Ideally something that keeps its edge at least through out a service period.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Rubber/synthetic at work, Acacia wood at home

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, at least once or twice a week.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
N/A

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Currently own Suehiro SKG-27 and KING 1000/6000. Do I need more?

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Thank you!

I'd go with a jck nature's blue moon. Nice and thin with a blue core and stainless sides. Very pretty, and nice handle. Very affordable. Edge retention has been good

Tanaka from KnS Australian site? There's Blue and Ginsan options available, stainless clad. The Damascus is iron clad Blue.

Definitely give KnS a look since you're in Oz.
If you're looking for a workhorse they have mazaki, or if you want something lighter with awesome grind they have lots of those (akatsuki, kurosaki, shiro kamo all have fantastic grind).
One of my favourite from them is the Shinko Kurokumo, awesome tip for onions

Latest posts

Back