low carb bbq sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've dabbled with this for many years, doing keto myself and loving my own BBQ. I've come to learn that there's two main keys to focus on. 1) The dose makes the poison. Use less sauce and focus less on the total carbs in the sauce. By ratio, the meat to sauce is vastly towards the meat, so the amount of sugar in the sauce is miniscule.

2) Any form of sugar in a sauce must also bring flavor. White sugar has no flavor. Molasses, brown sugar, sorghum, etc have more flavor than plain white sugar. Tomato paste/sauce is basically sugar too. So don't lean too heavy on that.

Also, I'd add, if I wanted to make them tasty, a bit sweet, but shift the focus away from sticky-sweet sugary sauce, then I'd also focus on highlighting and simplifying the spices used. More cumin, or more coriander, etc, but in slightly higher ratios. Also, cinnamon offers a warming, sweet tone to BBQ sauces without adding sugar/carbs.

Back