Low carb diets

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although health, environmental, and ethical concerns do have an impact on my dietary choices the truth is that I eat mostly for pleasure. Low carbohydrate diets aren't really my thing as I simply love good bread, pasta, and rice as well as good beer too much to consider giving them up or drastically reducing my consumption. I am, however, almost entirely live and let live regarding other people's dietary preferences and I have noted that there seems to be a substantial following here for keto and other low carbohydrate diets. I recently ran across this 2018 paper from The Lancet which is one of the most comprehensive analyses I've seen. The usual caveats apply regarding methodology (dietary questionnaires have not insignificant limitations) and that individual responses to a given diet may lie outside of statistical averages apply but I thought it might be of community interest.

I'll just make one point here - their "low-carb" diet is <40% carbohydrate consumption, which is in NO WAY low carb, most of which are <5% (although percentages are a kinda crap way to measure it).

As a result, I don't think it tells us anything whatsoever about the efficacy of a low-carb diet, per se. They're using term very loosely (I suspect quite deliberately, given it's the Lancet, and they have barrows to push and sponsors to please) in order to get a result they want and a headline they like.

Doing a truly ketogenic diet is a substantial lifestyle change. It is not something that can be done halfway. A poorly executed ketogenic approach is about as unhealthy as you could eat short of an all fast food diet.

I think it is worth it for anybody to do a ketogenic period long enough to transform your metabolism to burn fat efficiently. Following that experience, periods of keto with higher carb days mixed in allow for maintaining metabolic flexibility and the ability to adequately negotiate social dining experiences without presenting like a tool.

I do find my brain prefers ketones. I recently picked up ‘This is your brain on food’ which outlines dietary interventions for several common behavioral conditions. Also the book ‘Brain Wash’ has some compelling arguments surrounding cheap carbs diverting neuro pathways away from the prefrontal cortex and conditioning patterns of thought towards binary fight or flight confrontational postures.

Ketones are undoubtably a clean burning fuel and avoiding insulin spikes has helped me maintain a steady disposition through wildly dynamic circumstances these past few years. It’s a deep rabbit hole but has merit when adopted with discipline and a commitment to a whole foods approach built on quality macros and considered micro nutrient supplementation.

I think Keto is a slippery slope, and the details are in the word “diet”...

In English that word usually refers to how you eat all the time, your lifestyle choice (aka: vegetarian, vegan, carnivore etc).

In other languages a “diet” is a temporary measure to lose weight. For that, Keto has been proven as an approach that works: a temporary change in the way you eat, to lose weight. It does that, no doubt.

the question is: should you permanently feed your body the way you feed it to burn fat? Even if you reached your goal of burning fat? There are massive downsides to make Keto your every day diet for .... life. And they’re scientifically proven. You should transition into a balanced, healthy diet after achieving your goals with Keto.

most people go back to their crappy diets or stay on keto, neither one is healthy, no matter what Keto advocates say.

the other aspect is: HOW do you do Keto? Too many see it as an excuse to load up on bacon and full fat dairy products, while you should really focus on lean proteins, healthy fats and (specific) fresh veggies.

in the long-term, it’s much more important to cut out simple carbs (processed sugars, white bread, pasta etc) than cut out carbs in general.

my personal advice is to load up on complex carbs before 2 pm and stick To lean protein, healthy fats and low carb veggies after that.

Diets are controversial, I know. But anyone who touts Keto as THE (or even A) proper diet to adhere to long-term is ignoring science 🤷🏼‍♂️

In my past days, I have been in a consistent battle with my weight trying to make the cut for MMA fights and grappling competitions. Every few years you see something new and fancy pop up on internet, Keto was one of them (that actually worked). If you want to do low carb diet with quick result and don't want to stay on it for long period of time (talking 3 weeks), try Carb cycling. It's basically a Keto diet plan on juice, but you will pay during those 3 weeks (talking ALOT of workout). I have lost 33pounds (half was water) in 4weeks without early notice before, Carb cycling saved my A$$.

My view on low-carb diet is imaging your body functions like a country. Muscle is your army and fat is your financial system.
When you are in war (exercise) you burn money (fat) and you built army (muscle).
To sustain the army (muscle) everyday, you will continue to burn money (fat).
However when there is no need for war (exercise), the first thing every country cuts is their army (muscle).
Its only natural for all countries (body) to try to hold-down to most amount of money (fat) as possible.
To break the chain (where low-carb diet came in) we had to change currency by replacing carb with others.
A usual meal for most of us includes meat, vegies and carbs. Your body naturally go for the carb first; so carb is your currency.
The way low-carb diet works (for my understanding), is by pushing your body into a state that you are consistently in need for energy but not giving it with the correct currency. It forces your body to change currency by burning something else first to sustain your level of output. In this case the next up on the list is fat. Once your body is used to burning fat first (when you done crave for carb so bad), you can probably get ready to come off the low-carb diet.

My last suggestion for dieting is drink ALOT of water. If you are on a weight cut and you don't go for bathroom break every 30mins, you didn't drink enough.

I lost weight cutting out sugar & processed foods. Cut down on carbo's. Would eat less rice less pasta only whole grain. Less bread. Okinawan sweet potatoes for snack instead of chips. I like beer to but only one a day or none at all.

Didn't even have a scale went to last hole on belts & still loose.

I read books on blood sugar because mine was a little high. I could never eat the way some books preach. That guy Atkins people followed he died relatively young.

My take is you need some complex carbo's, just in moderation.

Back