• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Low grit, muddy naturals

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to pick up something to bridge my gap from 1k synth to 3-4k natural. I'm finding my current stone (unknown, maybe aizu) is a bit inefficient at reducing lower grit scratches.

I'm looking for something relatively soft and self-slurrying. Looking to keep this relatively wallet friendly for the holiday season, perhaps under $200, but feel free to reach out with what you've got.

Thanks

Hi all,

Looking to pick up something to bridge my gap from 1k synth to 3-4k natural. I'm finding my current stone (unknown, maybe aizu) is a bit inefficient at reducing lower grit scratches.

I'm looking for something relatively soft and self-slurrying. Looking to keep this relatively wallet friendly for the holiday season, perhaps under $200, but feel free to reach out with what you've got.

Thanks
Why not a Naniwa pro 2k. It's softer than the 800 and 3k. I use it after 800 and before Aizu.
Cheers

Yeah I'd recommend a synth in the same grit range as the nat, so a 3-4k synth. Having tried like 10 aoto of soft muddy naturals.

Even a ouka cerax 3k works well for me. Doesn't have to be a high end synth.

Yeah I'd recommend a synth in the same grit range as the nat, so a 3-4k synth. Having tried like 10 aoto of soft muddy naturals.

Even a ouka cerax 3k works well for me. Doesn't have to be a high end synth.
I see your point, which aspects of synths made you prefer over muddy nats?

I second this. Stay at the synthetics before naturals. Use them for contrast. For polishing, the namikawa beats every other brand. But naniwa, Shapton, ceramic are all good options
Understandable for polishing, and I'm considering a 2-3k synth for this. However, I also have a number of knives I don't bother polishing and also have a desire for a natural in that range as I prefer the toothiness from naturals.

Most aoto are muddy, and muddy aoto scratch the iron deep like a 800 grit stone. . . Very much like a shapton 1000 or even coarser sometimes.

The rare aoto that also shallowly scratches the iron is... Well rare.

The JNS ikarashi, the true ikarashi, are my favorite mid grit. They have no black spots and are azure with streams going through them. Blue aizu look similar though

Muddy aoto is the most aggressive edge I've ever had ... Aside from vitrified diamond with nagura

Most aoto are muddy, and muddy aoto scratch the iron deep like a 800 grit stone. . . Very much like a shapton 1000 or even coarser sometimes.

The rare aoto that also shallowly scratches the iron is... Well rare.

The JNS ikarashi, the true ikarashi, are my favorite mid grit. They have no black spots and are azure with streams going through them. Blue aizu look similar though

Muddy aoto is the most aggressive edge I've ever had ... Aside from vitrified diamond with nagura
JNS Ikarashi has been on my radar for a while now, and it may be the next step if I don't find good use out of an aoto. Aggressive edges are what I enjoy for most kitchen use though.

Ikarashi edge suck by comparison in aggression.... Very shallow scratches. But good not great speed

Muddy Aoto grit is very sharp AND the stone is muddy so ultra aggressive

Hard aoto are close to Tsushima lol

Muddy Aoto are red or have red spots. Monzento are very similar

Avoid blue spot aoto , harder

Last edited:
Ikarashi edge suck by comparison in aggression.... Very shallow scratches. But good not great speed

Muddy Aoto grit is very sharp AND the stone is muddy so ultra aggressive

Hard aoto are close to Tsushima lol

Muddy Aoto are red or have red spots. Monzento are very similar

Avoid blue spot aoto harder
If it comes to edges I jump from 800 or 2k directly to a Shirosuita. In my experience the best edges. But always remember that every single jnat is a world of it's own, so one can't really say what is best or better. I have two Shirosuitas that behave really different in polish and edges. I think it's always try and error. That's why I suggested the Naniwa pro 2k, because you said something about erasing scratches. I thought you want to polish. For edges just jump to the next higher jnat. It should work. It does with me. What means nothing haha

If it comes to edges I jump from 800 or 2k directly to a Shirosuita. In my experience the best edges. But always remember that every single jnat is a world of it's own, so one can't really say what is best or better. I have two Shirosuitas that behave really different in polish and edges. I think it's always try and error. That's why I suggested the Naniwa pro 2k, because you said something about erasing scratches. I thought you want to polish. For edges just jump to the next higher jnat. It should work. It does with me. What means nothing haha
I agree - I was definitely a bit unclear. That just stems from me wanting the best of both worlds - not realistic. Being as my wtb is for nats, I just focused on the edges for now, since synths are a bit easier to get.

Back