MAC Pro vs Masamoto VG vs Takamura Chromax vs Kato VG-10

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Help me choose a 210mm European grip Gyuto

• Kanehide PS60 ($135)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Takamara Chromax ($140)

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • MAC Pro ($160)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Masamoto VG ($160)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Misono UX10 ($200)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Kato VG-10 Suminagashi Damascus ($209)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Takamara R2 ($225)

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

Ceriano

Reaction score
Which of these are best value for a 210mm Gyuto?
  • Kanehide PS60 ($135)
  • Takamara Chromax ($140)
  • MAC Pro ($160)
  • Masamoto VG ($160)
  • Misono UX10 ($200)
  • Kato VG-10 Suminagashi Damascus ($209)
  • Takamara R2 ($225)

Last edited:
Chromax.. if you dont mind Semi-Stainless, if not Takamura R2.

the R2 is out of stock pretty much everywhere. The cheapest I could find is $225. I contacted a couple of US venders. They expect to get it in by the end of summer but it’s no guarantee.
I’m ok with semi stainless. How flexible is chromax? Can I cut a melon or a pineapple? Or it’s an onion/pepper knife?

the R2 is out of stock pretty much everywhere. The cheapest I could find is $225. I contacted a couple of US venders. They expect to get it in by the end of summer but it’s no guarantee.
I’m ok with semi stainless. How flexible is chromax? Can I cut a melon or a pineapple? Or it’s an onion/pepper knife?
Quite stiff, actually. Giggity. Not very rust prone. Just dry good before putting it away, especially in a knife cover. Ask me how I know.

P.S. The stock edge can be prone to slight micro-chipping. One time sharpening will take care of it.

I see, here in Knifewear(Canada) there are some in stock. Or you could get the rebranded one like Hitohira TP.

But, Chromax is the best bang for the money, and you will not regret it. I have compared it between the Chromax and R2, I don't see the difference in edge retention. I have cut pineapple with Chromax, and I don't have any problem.

The takamura chromax or r2 are great. The handles are a little too small for me, though.

If youre interested in R2 I believe cleancut has them in stock. They'll ship to you if you email them. I bought a Munetoshi from them and it was a super easy transaction.

If youre interested in R2 I believe cleancut has them in stock. They'll ship to you if you email them. I bought a Munetoshi from them and it was a super easy transaction.
Also the price you will pay will be 20% less than listed and then they ship for $30 I think which I got my knife in 3-4days. I'm not a numbers guy but I think it puts it somewhere around $200-$210.

Also the price you will pay will be 20% less than listed and then they ship for $30 I think which I got my knife in 3-4days. I'm not a numbers guy but I think it puts it somewhere around $200-$210.

Knifewear has listed them for $224 and they offer free shipping. I contacted chef knives to go, Mark thinks he should get them in by the end of summer. They had them for $180. I hate to pay $40-$50over retail.

https://knifewear.com/products/takamura-akagouhan-gyuto-210mm?variant=5415732612

Thanks for confirming @zizirex .

Forgot to mention the purpose of my post above - Strata still has 1 in stock (as of the time of this writing) in case OP @Ceriano is interested in picking up the Takamura.

As above, would rule out UX-10 and would defer to those with Takamura experience. BST can also be your friend for best value, but no problem going with wisdom of the crowd on this one.

Thanks for confirming @zizirex .

Forgot to mention the purpose of my post above - Strata still has 1 in stock (as of the time of this writing) in case OP @Ceriano is interested in picking up the Takamura.

Sweet! This would be $205 after shipping. It's about $65 more than chromax but looks like more people are recommending it over chromax. Is SG2 same as R2?

Have you emailed to see when the 210 Takamura R2 will be back in stock? IMO, one of the best values out there.
https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/takamura-knives/products/copy-of-takamura-migaki-gyuto-180mm

Yes I haven't heard back from carbon knives yet. Mark (chefknives2go) said they have been waiting for 5 months now but he's hoping to get it in by the end of summer. The cheapest I can find in the state is $205 (hitohira TP) shipped. a bit more than other places but not too bad.

Last edited:
Yes I haven't heard back from carbon knives yet. Mark (chefknives2go) said they have been waiting for 5 months now but he's hoping to get it in by the end of summer. The cheapest I can find in the state is $205 shipped. a bit more than other places but not too bad.

I would also contact MTC. They're a pleasure to work with IMO.
https://mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsps-gyuto-210mm-8-2/
Last year I was at their Takamura event which was fun.

Back