Mac Yanagiba FKW-7

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm2hill

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used one or does anyone have a review on this one.

Friend bought a bunch of knives without knowing what they were and doesn't need some of them. Willing to sell this one to me for a bit of a discount.

Will I 100 percent need it. No. it will however be a cheap introduction to single bevel knives (I believe this is single bevel).

I would use it primarily as a slicer for roasts and sparingly for sashimi and stuff. sushi with raw fish is a once every other week thing.

Let me know what you guys have to say so I can make a decision

thanks for the input!

Bueller Bueller?

okay if not the mac, can someone recommend something else?

yanagiba, kirutsuke? (I realize kirutsuke are generally expensive...very expensive!)

would like it to be faster than a gyuto for slicing and carving, around $100 as the mac will be less than that.

anyone? bueller?

what about this one from blueway: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Japanese-SAKAI-C...234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b32156b2

just want in intro into single bevel and single bevel sharpening

Kiritsuke is a good choice...if you only prepare Japanese cuisine! It's not an all-rounder, and they are not that simple to sharpen. I'd start with an Usuba, or a Yanagi, though you'd likely get more use out of an Usuba.

I've never used that knife, but my first serious knife purchase was a Tanaka Yanagi in blue #2, which I learned to sharpen on by screwing it up, and later fixed. I still use it at work, and it's still above my sink. Not as cheap, but it's not a disposable item.

The consensus is split between whether it is better to buy a crazy cheap single bevel or a decent one to learn on, because the steel responds so differently. I didn't start rock-bottom cheap(not that mine wasn't a bargain variety:wink:), and didn't ruin my knife forever, so I don't see why anyone would bother spending money on delayed garbage.

I'd like to get something in white steel.

I wanted to spend 100ish on the knife, and didn't want to be killed by shipping. Buying from my friend or blueway doesn't add to much to the cost.

is there anything that fits this bill?

Blueway has stuff in white steel but I don't know the maker and everything i try and read up on it, I get access denied cause I'm at work.

let me know what you think thanks

I dont see whats wrong with the MAC. its stainless, so you dont have to worry about the rust of high carbons, and its made of the same steel as the MAC superior series, so its take a really fine edge. for someone whos used to western style stainless knives (i assume), its be a great step for a single bevel in my opinion. and its not a bad or cheap knife, itll last a long time, plus if you screw it up you're not out $300+ on a nice japanese knife.

so I think I am biting the bullet and getting the shirogami yanagiba from blueway. 270mm.

I figure for 135 I can try it and if I don't like it, gift it off. (I love having good friends who like knives, it makes it so easy for me to order something to try!)

I wanted to get an Usuba but he doesn't have any regular ones in stock. just the damascus. So maybe if these knives sharpen up well and have a good feel that can be part of a next purchase

Back