Made In

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone else fell for the "Made In" pitch? I liked the red handles and the video make them look like they are really drop forged in a small factory in France. The price was pretty good too. Time will tell if I have been played for a sucker I guess.

"Here’s the basic process: before the rod is forged, the raw metal is first completely immersed in liquid nitrogen at a chilly -58°F.

Chemical compounds are actually transformed during this stage of production (from austenite to martensite), with the final result being a product that is stronger, sharper, and more resistant to corrosion… and a product that you don’t have to worry about polishing and sharpening after every use! Yay!" -
https://foodal.com/kitchen/knives-cutting-boards-kitchen-shears/things-that-cut/made-in-chefs-knife/

Wot. :confused:

Their marketing comes on a little too strong IMO.
"X50CrMoV15 stainless steel sourced from France, considered to be the best material."
"There is no welding, stamping, or laser cutting, cheap and quick methods of manufacturing knives that create a blade that is less hard, less durable, and duller."
"This gives the tool a superior Rockwell Hardness Score of 58-60."

Edit: I just realised, maybe it's just this article.

Last edited:
That article reads like it was written as a 4th grade ELA assignment.

Surprised they made it through the review period without drawing any blood.

Clown Alert!!!
So for the hell of it I went through that 3000 word fluff piece. My brain already hurts from last night , so it didn't matter.
Can that little squid use any more superlatives? Talk about not passing the sniff test.
Anyway OP I hope you get a decent blade despite the advertising.
BTW, I didn't even see a price mentioned.

"Here’s the basic process: before the rod is forged, the raw metal is first completely immersed in liquid nitrogen at a chilly -58°F.
Most interesting! Especially seeing that nitrogen doesn't become a liquid until the temperature drops below –320 ºF…

Their 8" is 89 dollars. I did try their carbon steel pans and liked it.

I think you'll be disappointed. $90 will buy you some decent steel from more reliable sources. WAY too much marketing fluff, a lot of it inaccurate. Agreed it reads like a HS marketing assignment. B-

They had a 30day trial for their pots and pans. Maybe the same for the knife. Pretty responsive customer service

I think the big question is, is this another Kamikoto?

I thought Kamikoto was more trying to be "high end" knives and are a lot more expensive. This is more like Misen and other kick-starter funded kitchen start ups.
I haven't tried either knives (and not really planning to). Found out about them because I was looking to try out stainless steel pots/pans and hated the All-Clad handles

Over priced beater? Seems pretty low for a forged French knife to me. As for all those other better $90 knives, trust me, I have already tried them a long time ago. I like the style of this knife and the fact it was a rare forged French knife these days, not because I thought the steel was going to give me the ultimate in performance. I bought a Robert Herder a while back for the same reasons and have been very happy with it. It is in the block right next to a $300+ Japanese blade I equally like. The Made In knife has been shipped so time will tell if it finds a permanent home in the block.

Being a "forged in France" knife alone doesn't make it a quality knife. Anything that needs that much fluff to market it is nothing more than a beater. And as mentioned above, there is too much decent steel out there for $90 to be buying X50CrMoV15, forged or not. But hey, hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Being a "forged in France" knife alone doesn't make it a quality knife. Anything that needs that much fluff to market it is nothing more than a beater. And as mentioned above, there is too much decent steel out there for $90 to be buying X50CrMoV15, forged or not. But hey, hopefully I'm wrong.
If I was a steel snob I wouldn't prefer Chinese and Thai cleavers over all those super steel Japanese boat paddle models. There is lot more that goes into a useful kitchen knife than steel and extreme edge holding. Very few European kitchen knives are actually dropped foreged these days. Most have their bolsters welded on stamped blades. Robert Herders are said to be done the old fashion way so if these French knives are too, I fill find that interesting.

There is lot more that goes into a useful kitchen knife than steel and extreme edge holding.

I'm not sure why some folks are giving you grief over buying anything. Hope you post thoughts once it's arrived. Always like to hear about what's on the market.

If I was a steel snob I wouldn't prefer Chinese and Thai cleavers over all those super steel Japanese boat paddle models. There is lot more that goes into a useful kitchen knife than steel and extreme edge holding. Very few European kitchen knives are actually dropped foreged these days. Most have their bolsters welded on stamped blades. Robert Herders are said to be done the old fashion way so if these French knives are too, I fill find that interesting.

Just curious, is drop forging more desireable than stamped & welded? Zwillings are dropforged right? I think what herder does that stands out is their grinding technique. From what I understood they get the blades prepared and ht from another.

I assume he's talking about the Author of the marketing bumpf.

Just curious, is drop forging more desireable than stamped & welded? Zwillings are dropforged right? I think what herder does that stands out is their grinding technique. From what I understood they get the blades prepared and ht from another.

I found one reference on metrokitchen website that the Zwilling are no longer drop forged. Somewhere else I remember reading something about this, maybe here at KKF or on Bladeforums somebody else mentioned they no longer drop forge.

Although I am of the opinion that it is of relatively little difference this particular case. Seems like similar market and pricing to Misen.

My knife arrived today. It feels pretty good in the hand. The edge might need a little work by this forum's standards but it is ground relatively thin so that shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Will try to put it to use tonight on a bean and sausage soup. No big challenge but its a start. I'm not unhappy with my $89 purchase so far.

OK. I left a comment on the article. It is "waiting moderation", so you won't be seeing it where I posted...

But I saved a copy for your enjoyment/irritation.

I hope this doesn't violate site policy for negativity, these knives are certain to be OK if the OP liked his.

But this writer wasn't quite as sharp as the knives.

------

Thiers, France is " the world capital of knife making"? Are you certain about that?

Thiers certainly has some good knife makers. So does Seki city in Japan (a lot more knife makers in Seki than in Thiers these days, actually). And so does Solingen, Germany (again, numbers in Solingen are looking a bit higher than Thiers). Toledo, Spain. Sheffield, UK.

I could mention cities in Sweden, Switzerland and Czech Republic with good numbers as well. And closer to home, even your native Pittsburg PA has several. Don't forget the people over by Franklinville NY either. The list goes on. Not quite sure Thiers is the world capital? Maybe define your parameters???

I would guess that those knives might get a cryogenic liquid Nitrogen treatment AFTER forging- And probably after some post forge rough grinding to shape/size + a hardening heat treatment/quench cycle, not BEFORE forging. Because doing it before hand would be a waste of manufacturer's time and liquid Nitrogen.

Also, liquid Nitrogen quenching is about -196 C or -320.4 F., RATHER chillier than -54 F, which is not even as cold as dry ice.

Maybe that was just a translation error, French is so confusing and French people just INSIST on using Centigrade/SI units/metric system, almost like they invented that stuff or something. Oh WAIT. They DID?!

58-60 on the Rockwell C scaleisn't terribly soft, it's nearly as hard as a good Japanese knife, mine run 61 to 65 depending on maker & use. Somewhat harder than tradtitional, easy to sharpen German (and French) knives, commonly around 54-58.

Say, that knife STEEL was SOURCED in France. The factory is where, again?Thiers, in France??? Because I just read a January 2019 article where the two brand owners very clearly state that everything they sell is "made in the USA".

https://allamericanreviews.com/made-in-cookware/

I am SO confused by all this!

Last edited:
I think it will be redacted to the following

"Thiers, France is the world capital of knife making"

Well, the knife edge is going to need a little work for sure. It would barely slice ripe tomatoes with a few tears. Not the end of the world because knife sharpening is not something that bothers me a lot. The knife still feels good in the hand and did all the less challenging cuts with no problems.

This seems only a trick to let people buy an overpriced product.

I've seen the video carefully if I can discover wich factory of Thiers is. Finally, at 1:46 I found this:

Imagen1.png

On the Tape used, you can read "DUM.. and a circle. This brand is 32 DUMAS, a brand of the "ROUSELLON DUMAS SABATIER" brand. www.rousselon.fr

So, I found in this french website the most similar but branded CLICK

If you want a fully forged, good quality french knife, there are more and better options.

K-Sabatier (another company) has better value for the price, CLICK

6d1696bee7835dd96f75f90fc20b01bf-ol-cuisne-20_12627.jpg

Latest posts

Back