Maglio Knives CD1 Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these knives ? there's an US knife maker said his steel is much more better than japanese knife, just wondering anyone tried before ?

"Anyone have experience with these knives ? there's an US knife maker said his steel is much more better than japanese knife, just wondering anyone tried before ?"

Such a claim makes no sense at all without specifics or qualifications. Japanese knives cover a wide range of steels. The maker's site FAQ states that unlike hand forged Japanese knives, Maglio uses Powder Steel. If that is the basis of the claim, most everyone knows that there are Japanese knives made of R2/SG2, HAP40, Cowry-X, ZDP-189, SRS15 etc. These are all Powder Steels. If the claim was made elsewhere please post a link.

"Anyone have experience with these knives ? there's an US knife maker said his steel is much more better than japanese knife, just wondering anyone tried before ?"

Such a claim makes no sense at all without specifics or qualifications. Japanese knives cover a wide range of steels. The maker's site FAQ states that unlike hand forged Japanese knives, Maglio uses Powder Steel. If that is the basis of the claim, most everyone knows that there are Japanese knives made of R2/SG2, HAP40, Cowry-X, ZDP-189, SRS15 etc. These are all Powder Steels. If the claim was made elsewhere please post a link.
I think not many people use his knife, i saw the picture of his Yanagiba, shape make me laugh...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200418_005427_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20200418_005427_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 151
These guys come from a tactical folding knife background. Their stuff is made on cnc equipment.
Not sure but they probably don’t cut very good.

Hoss

These guys come from a tactical folding knife background. Their stuff is made on cnc equipment.
Not sure but they probably don’t cut very good.

Hoss
When i look at the picture, his Yanagiba has much more steeper angle than usual yanagiba, i assume cutting resistance is stronger than J knife.

He just said that his Steel is much more better than hand forge knife, seems like telling me J knife is **** or something. Piss me off.

Hey guys, nice to meet you all. I'm Brandon Hampton and I own Meglio Knives. None of my knives are CNC'd, though I sure wish I had room in my shop for one haha. All my customs are ground with either KMG or Wuertz belt Sanders. As for my website being unclear, my production line is CTS-XHP, and my customs are typically CD#1, PD1, or else 3V. I know my knives are not traditional looking, like the offset yanagiba. I've had great feedback from a functional point of view. As far as aesthetics, I totally respect everyone's opinion. I really respect Mr. Thomas, and hope he can one day hold a knife of mine and tell me what he thinks. Hope you all have a great day and if you have any questions let me know!

In regards to CD#1, it's mostly the toughness I'm looking for. Dr. Larrin Thomas actually did a pretty cool write up on it on his website, showing the history of 3V up to CD#1 and how well the toughness holds up at high HRC. This increased toughness leads me to produce yanagibas with more acute edges because of that increased resistance to chipping.

Just doing my best to make the best tools I can!

There's been more than a few makers over the years that at first their styles and shapes and geometries i thought were crazy, turn into some of the more highly sought after items here. Welcome Brandon. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

There's been more than a few makers over the years that at first their styles and shapes and geometries i thought were crazy, turn into some of the more highly sought after items here. Welcome Brandon. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Thank you so much! My teacher is actually a pretty divisive character in the knife community, and I've been at it for 13 years, so I'm definitely not new to scrutiny haha. I've got a thick skin!

Latest posts

Back