Magnets for Knife rak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
How strong, big magnets do i have to use for wooden knife rak ? To hold up yanagi or deba

I used 20x5 mm neodymium magnets, N52 with a pullforce of something like 23 kg each. There's about 1-2 mm of wood between the magnet and the knife, single magnet per knife, knives are held firmly, some do rotate a degree or two depending on how they are placed. If I'd do it again I might try a brick pattern but then using smaller magnets.

I used triple rows of 10x5 mm n52 with 1-2mm wood cover.
Hols a 240 yanagi, 180 Usuba and 160 deba but anything bigger would need to be tip down so the bolster stops it sliding off. I wanted to do double rows of 20x5 mm magnets for my bigger knives but were to expensive at the time.
If you speak to a supplier they may send you some different sizes to try, I managed to get pairs of about 6 different sizes and made some mock ups to find the right strength size and spacing.
Good luck with it

...180 Usuba and 160 deba but anything bigger would need to be tip down so the bolster stops it sliding off.

I store all my knives tip down so the bolster keeps them from sliding off. Why do people store them tip up if there's a chance they could slip off?

any pics??

Away from home ATM, but here is an old one:

wZkyUHL0

Latest posts

Back