Making a knife set for my wife..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
Hello there!

My wife asked me for a knive set for our kitchen. I told her that many of the complete sets that are sold are not exceptionally good nor offer a decent value. I convinced her of making a set and using a magnetic wood block.

Value is paramount, since we have already spent tons of money on our new apartment.

I know for sure that she is gonna be pretty well covered with a paring knife, a santoku, a larger chef's knife and a bread knife. She is vegetarian.

Her knife skills are pretty limited. I have taught her some but she is still kind of stubborn on doing it her own way in some cases.

Inox is a must as well as wood western handles. No full bolster. Edge retention and ease of sharpening are also welcome.

Our cutting boards are wood and plastic. I'll take care of the maintenance and sharpening of the knives.

I'm considering on making her a set with some Wüstof or Robert Herder knives. Maybe you have another suggestion? Are Zwilling knives good for their price? The prices are kind of high, IMO.

https://knifejapan.com/shop-by-maker/moriya-munemitsu-yhc-shimane/
https://www.chef knivestogo.com/tojirodpseries.html

How much are you willing to spend?

You can also contact KnifeJapan directly and he'll probably find what you need.

If you just want some basic but decent Western style knives, then get just get one of the well known brands (Victorinox, Mercer, Wüsthof, etc.). There's not much difference between them in my experience. Make sure to also get a steel if you don't have one.

https://knifejapan.com/shop-by-maker/moriya-munemitsu-yhc-shimane/
https://www.chef knivestogo.com/tojirodpseries.html

How much are you willing to spend?

You can also contact KnifeJapan directly and he'll probably find what you need.

If you just want some basic but decent Western style knives, then get just get one of the well known brands (Victorinox, Mercer, Wüsthof, etc.). There's not much difference between them in my experience. Make sure to also get a steel if you don't have one.
I considered Tojiro, I have one myself. But IDK how they would hold up to her "knife skills" :p . Hence why I'm considering european knives instead.

I did order a steel for her :) .

Her knife skills are pretty limited. I have taught her some but she is still kind of stubborn on doing it her own way in some cases.
Wow, what are the odds that we married the same woman! Did you meet your wife in Stockholm also?

I have learned the hard way that our wives/girlfriends (both) don’t share the same enthusiasm when it comes to our hobbies…

Yeah, I’d probably go as low budget as possible, as „low“ as you can live with. Tojiro DP probably. If you are concerned that she’d ruin those, well, Wüsthof (the Crafter series looks nice: Crafter), Victorinox, Herder (although Herder are rather thin)… I am not going to make the joke with the Dick brand as I don’t even like the look of these knives. Güde, maybe?

One thing I like about Wüsthof is that they offer many knives with and without finger guard…

Global is a decent hybrid, softer steel but more Japanese-ish blade geometry, some hate the handles, but they are decent knives I've found, and edge retention IMO is better than the Misono softer-steel offerings.

Global is a decent hybrid, softer steel but more Japanese-ish blade geometry, some hate the handles, but they are decent knives I've found, and edge retention IMO is better than the Misono softer-steel offerings.
Global are a big no, specially for the handle. I have used them and I think they are ok.

We do want wood handles.

I have learned the hard way that our wives/girlfriends (both) don’t share the same enthusiasm when it comes to our hobbies…

Yeah, I’d probably go as low budget as possible, as „low“ as you can live with. Tojiro DP probably. If you are concerned that she’d ruin those, well, Wüsthof (the Crafter series looks nice: Crafter), Victorinox, Herder (although Herder are rather thin)… I am not going to make the joke with the Dick brand as I don’t even like the look of these knives. Güde, maybe?

One thing I like about Wüsthof is that they offer many knives with and without finger guard…

I'm liking that Crafter series :) . I'm gonna show them to her.

Sorry maybe I missunderstod you? I thought You wanted wood handles? Because I believe that Mac has wood handles. Not fancy but ok?
I meant that the ones you linked had no wood handles. I just googled Mac with wood handles, there are some indeed.

Those look really nice :) thanks!!!

They are
20220221_183613.jpg

By the way - MAC knives are a pakka wood. They look and feel pretty synthetic compared to those I pictured above.

Back