Making a new knife rack, thoughts on fabric covering?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcemail

Reaction score
My knife block has no more room (thanks a lot, guys!) so going to make a wooden/magnetic wall rack. Saw one where the maker put a strip of fabric or leather across the center for the knife to rest against. Can't find the link now. Thought it might be a good idea and would make it a little more gentle on the knives so they aren't clunking against the wood.

Any one have a rack like this? Thoughts on if it would be a good idea to incorporate this into my design? Thanks!!

Unless you make the cover removable for washing I'd say 'no'. And wood is softer than steel so the wood won't be harsh to the knives. Other way 'round, actually.

That's a good point, since I am using the knives on wooden cutting boards. For some reason it seems like them being pulled against the wood by magnets would be rougher on the knives, but that's probably the case. And I would lead with the spine anyway. Thanks!

I bought this tape to cover an Ikea metal knife rack that was scratching my knives. Been using it for a year now without issue.
That's what I had pictured. Might give it a try! Not much of a decrease in holding power through the tape?

I’m pretty happy with this solution a year later. It’s leather repair tape “irregular pattern camel” lol. It’s got adhesive on the back. It’s faux leather which at first seems tacky but it’s actually great. it provides a little bit of padding or cushion to protect the edge and from scratches. A little bit of staining but not too much to worry about it peeling your KU off.

I posted a cork adhesive version but the adhesive keeps lifting up.

Attachments

• 2B8D2705-8319-4A27-86C4-CFAE64BCFC95.jpeg
    2B8D2705-8319-4A27-86C4-CFAE64BCFC95.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
And wood is softer than steel so the wood won't be harsh to the knives. Other way 'round, actually.

While this is mostly true, I think it’s worth mentioning that for more expensive knives or just simply ones with a higher polish, wood can and will leave blemishes on the steel when being taken off and put back on repeatedly. This is why I’ve converted most of mine to leather over wood.

Back