Making my 1st magnetic knife rack

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may chime in - I have made one magnetic board. The decisive part was to use 2 rows of magnets not 1. I have used relatively small magnets with just 10mm diameter and 5mm thickness - I should have used little larger ones AND/OR I should have used iron behind them as that would give you more force. I have 10mm spaces between the magnes - less would have been better. I have also a magnetic board which uses stronger magnets, but relatively large ones and thus further apart and knives that do not have flat bevels/faces tend to rotate when not positioned in a sweet spot.

I would advice you take a piece of simple wood, drill a few holes from behind and leave just 2-3 mm of wood between the magnets and the front surface and test it with a few different stainless (they respond less to magnets) knives.

Ideally - you would get rectangular magnets in 2 rows (3 - 5 cm apart), with no spaces, but that will come up at much higher costs for the magnets.

This all reminds me that I need to make a magnetic holder again :)

EDIT: And if you want to go the scientific way, you can use a software like Magboltz to calculate the shape of the magnetic field :wink:

Back