Making Sausages

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by madelinez, Nov 14, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 14, 2019 #1

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

I want to get into making my own sausages (lamb or beef) but I have no idea where to start. What equipment do I need, what cuts of meat are best, what secret ingredients do you use?

2. Nov 15, 2019 #2

Kgp

Kgp

Kgp

Supporting Member

Cured, fresh, fermented? I have three books by Stanley Marianski that covers the gamut. Tons of recipes on the net.
    Decent grinder will set you back $150-200 and go on sale frequently. Stuffer is also critical. Those that just attach tubes to a grinder are a waste of time imho.
    Make sure you have adequate fat, at least 20% to avoid overly dry end result. Try to find tubed casings. Much easier to work with.

Good luck! It’s a fun hobby.
    Ken

madelinez likes this.
  3. Nov 15, 2019 #3

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

I don't mind spending a good chunk of $$$ upfront on something high quality, do you have any specific recommendations? I'll be starting with fresh sausages but might try cured at some point.

4. Nov 15, 2019 #4

Kgp

Kgp

Kgp

Supporting Member

I’ve got a LEM .35 hp $240 at Amazon. Cabelas has good selection also. I usually do at least 10 pound batches and it works fine. My stuffer is a Dakota which uses water pressure to push mix into tubes. Weston makes a good grinder also.
    https://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/

This company has great prices and service. Their tubed casings are best price I could find. You can learn a lot just from their site.
    Another good one:
    https://www.waltonsinc.com/

lots of recipes and pre-mixed spices.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. Nov 15, 2019 #5

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

Fat...lot's of it...more than you think you need...so much that anyone watching tells you that it looks like a stupid amount of fat...then add a little more.

ACHiPo, Carl Kotte and Ryndunk like this.
  6. Nov 15, 2019 #6

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Supporting Member

More specifically pork fat

7. Nov 15, 2019 #7

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    Any reason NOT to use beef fat? Because, I've been saving the excess fat trimmed off all these beef briskets I've been cooking (4 whole briskets since St. Patrick's Day).

8. Nov 15, 2019 #8

Chuckles

Chuckles

Chuckles

Supporting Member

Pay attention when you are mixing. This step is often overlooked. You are going for myosin extraction and then stop. It will feel tacky. I’m not going to go deep into it here but it will make a big impact on the texture of your sausage.

Here:

http://thesaltcuredpig.com/Porkopedia/index.php?title=Myosin

M1k3 and Carl Kotte like this.
  9. Nov 15, 2019 #9

Dendrobatez

Dendrobatez

Dendrobatez

I use the kitchen aid grinder attachment for home(a buffalo chop grinder at work) its good for small batches. I also use a $90 stuffer from amazon, looks to be made for hunters but is easy enough for small scale production in a pro kitchen setting.
    If you're doing fermentation you'll need some pink salts, a decent scale, a hydrometer, temp gauge, bactoferm wouldn't hurt and a place to cure it. I use dehydratable silica in a sealed refrigerator, it keeps it at a perfect humidity without having to plumb a dehydrator in.

10. Nov 15, 2019 #10

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

I use a meat grinder attachment on my Kenwood Chef. That does the job for 2-4 kg batches, no problem. It works fine for filling casings, too. Other than that, you don't really need anything, except casings, meat, and spices.

If you want to get carried away, a cold smoker and a separate sausage stuffer would be useful. But, if you've never made sausage before, that can come later. For now, if you have a kitchen mixer already, get a grinder attachment for it. If you don't have a mixer yet, I'd consider buying one plus grinder attachment, rather than buying a dedicated meat grinder. Yes, a dedicated grinder will be better, but you can do only one thing with it. So, if you are not sure whether you want to keep making sausage in the long term, a mixer is a better investment because you can use it for lots of other things as well.

11. Nov 15, 2019 #11

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Most people greatly prefer the flavor and mouthfeel of pork fat in sausage.

12. Nov 15, 2019 #12

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Supporting Member

Pork fat also acts different than beef fat. It does not smear as much when grinding and mixing. It is a little easier to get the desired texture also. Beef fat does work. But there is a higher risk of the sausage coming out "broken".