Makoto Kurosaki AS.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

Anyone here knows about Makoto kurosaki AS line knives. Are they any good? Got a chance to buy one, And I really like the look. But what are people's experience with them?

Have a nice day. 😊

laserish, light, stainless clad, concave grind, super thin bte, great cutters. No taper, somewhat stiction prone and appearance is no frills all business. ToGo was recently selling a vg7(corrected) version which I’d assume is less desirable than AS. Sold mine since I had several other Takefu gyutos. Punches way above its price. fantastic value.

Last edited:
laserish, light, stainless clad, concave grind, super thin bte, great cutters. No taper, somewhat stiction prone and appearance is no frills all business. ToGo was recently selling a vg7(corrected) version which I’d assume is less desirable than AS. Sold mine since I had several other Takefu gyutos. Punches way above its price. fantastic value.

Thanks for your reply. Great info 👍

I have the Ryusei VG7, it is the line that used to be with AS. The knife performs very good and feels very comfortable in the hand. Forward balance, thin edge, laser. Feels and performs like a more expensive knife.

Highly recommended.

I have the Ryusei VG7, it is the line that used to be with AS. The knife performs very good and feels very comfortable in the hand. Forward balance, thin edge, laser. Feels and performs like a more expensive knife.

Highly recommended.

sounds great! What are the difference Between VG7 and AS ?

sounds great! What are the difference Between VG7 and AS ?
No idea, man. I have never owned a knife with AS. Some people claim that VG7 has a similar edge retention to Aogami.

I personally love the knife. It is the one I like the most from all the bunch that I use at work.

Hi mate,
I own a Makoto kurosaki AS 240 gyuto.
Its has been in my workgear ever since i bought it. Its absolute one of my favorite knives to use, during my work. I consider it more like a workhorse. If you wanna know more send me a dm. I can also send you pictures if you want.

Best Peter

After almost two months of use at work, I can tell you that my Ryusei is my favorite knife for that.

Go for it.

Takefu VG7 is stainless, much closer to VG10 (but without the cobalt) than to Aogami Super. (ref zknives)
At least I can say that VG7 is faster to sharpen than VG10.

With regular stropping it lasts a good amount of time as well.

Hi mate,
I own a Makoto kurosaki AS 240 gyuto.
Its has been in my workgear ever since i bought it. Its absolute one of my favorite knives to use, during my work. I consider it more like a workhorse. If you wanna know more send me a dm. I can also send you pictures if you want.

Best Peter

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I have used it quite a bit. And it sure is a VERY nice knife. I can't say if it's a workhorse. I would call it middleweight. It definitely ain't a laser.

I have bin switching between the makoto and a konosuke HD2 240 mm lately. To begin with I never really understood the hype about kono HD/HD2. But can say for sure I would prefer the makoto any day.

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I have used it quite a bit. And it sure is a VERY nice knife. I can't say if it's a workhorse. I would call it middleweight. It definitely ain't a laser.

I have bin switching between the makoto and a konosuke HD2 240 mm lately. To begin with I never really understood the hype about kono HD/HD2. But can say for sure I would prefer the makoto any day.

And the AS version from makoto i cant find it anywhere online now? al the best with your makoto ;)) i bought a TF maboroshi yesterday maby a new favorite friend.

And the AS version from makoto i cant find it anywhere online now? al the best with your makoto ;)) i bought a TF maboroshi yesterday maby a new favorite friend.

I can't find it anywhere either 🤔 maybe they don't make it anymore. I'm sure you'll enjoy your TF. I haven't tried one myself. But the love for them on this forum is pretty massive.

The AS version has been out of stock for a while. Makoto switched to VG7 to keep the costs down.

It is still fairly easy to get very sharp and the sharpness lasts for some good time.

Like I said, it is my main knife at work. That should say something...

The AS version has been out of stock for a while. Makoto switched to VG7 to keep the costs down.

It is still fairly easy to get very sharp and the sharpness lasts for some good time.

Like I said, it is my main knife at work. That should say something...

Sounds nice. I think that makoto generally gives you good value for the money. I have a question... I know makoto only sharpens. Do you happen to know what smiths made his AS blades? 🤔 Would be nice to know.

Sounds nice. I think that makoto generally gives you good value for the money. I have a question... I know makoto only sharpens. Do you happen to know what smiths made his AS blades? 🤔 Would be nice to know.
I'm not 100% sure, but, I want to say he learned from his brother. Makoto was Yu's original sharpener... But this is purely speculation.

Aside from his White #2, his knives really don't have much distal taper to speak of, maybe it is roll forged by someone in TGV. But stamped billet straight from factory are not rare in this price range tho.

Well. I'm no expert. But the tang has a clear distal taler from coming out of the handle, and to 1.5 cm up the spine. From there the taper is minimal. Is also has a nashiji finish. Ain't that pretty rare in stamped knives?

Well. I'm no expert. But the tang has a clear distal taler from coming out of the handle, and to 1.5 cm up the spine. From there the taper is minimal. Is also has a nashiji finish. Ain't that pretty rare in stamped knives?
I am mistaken then, maybe I mistook his SG2 blade for AS.

Back