Mammoth tusk handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoBone

Jobone.SugiCutlery - Custom handle and knives
KKF Sponsor
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
So psyched about this one.

I started making handles after seeing a Delosso tooth handle and I wanted to make one myself. Over the last year or so, I’ve tried acquiring the skillset needed to make one. This is tusk, not tooth, but it’s really where I want to be with my hobby.

A30B84E7-5A01-403A-9C54-6F260B3F8145.jpeg
633A5EA2-EA71-4FD0-9686-6E258820BBF1.jpeg
B440C8C1-6EB9-4BA4-BEA6-00185F059F7D.jpeg

Nicest mammoth handle I've ever seen!

What are the challenges working with mammoth?

What are the challenges working with mammoth?

off the top of my head.

cracking is the main concern, so everything is slow.

Lots of CA before doing anything. That was about a 3 day process as there were many micro cracks
Cutting using fine tooth saw blade,

Before drilling at 600 rpm or cutting, I coat the entire block in 2-3 coats of epoxy to get about 1/10” of resin to help keep it stable. $80 cobalt drill bit.

Fresh abrasives, with frequent breaks. You will go through abrasives. I didn’t sand for more than 30 seconds at a time. I frequently hit it with CA during the sanding process.

Wow, that looks awesome. I’m not big on mammoth stuff but that’s a cool one

off the top of my head.

cracking is the main concern, so everything is slow.

Lots of CA before doing anything. That was about a 3 day process as there were many micro cracks
Cutting using fine tooth saw blade,

Before drilling at 600 rpm or cutting, I coat the entire block in 2-3 coats of epoxy to get about 1/10” of resin to help keep it stable. $80 cobalt drill bit.

Fresh abrasives, with frequent breaks. You will go through abrasives. I didn’t sand for more than 30 seconds at a time. I frequently hit it with CA during the sanding process.

Was the smell as bad as I imagine?

Back