Managing Notifications/PM

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I find the private email limits very restrictive as there's some good advice and discussion in there I'd like to keep together in one place.

Looking for hints as to how others manage their messages so their inbox doesn't fill up.

Unfortunately all I have ever found is downloading them in one of the limited export formats. It works best if you group by conversation/ topic.

The limitation is also a good reason to always quote when replying so the whole ongoing conversation is always captured in the latest PM. That way you can delete all the earlier ones.

I have been living within 1-20 messages of the limits for several years. It is definitely a pain.

IMO the #1 thing that vBulletin screwed the pooch on is the PM system. I can't understand why they'd have such a nice online platform for discussion yet completely ignore the PM side.

You can save as txt or html, etc and download.

You could always pull a Lisbeth Salander and memorize everything.

I'm forever struggling for space! Really don't know how I coped before I became a site supporter and got an 800 msg limit.

Until recently, I went to the last say, 200 messages in my Inbox and downloaded them as TXT files. Saved them to PC and the cloud. After checking them, I'd delete them on KKF. Yep, I'm OCD... or would be if it was in alphabetical order.
:wink:
I would do the same with the Sent items. When I'm searching for recent PMs, I often go my email - all incoming PMs are stored there and it's easy to find things. In Gmail, they sit in their own "Forums" folder.

Recently, I've tried two things to improve the whole show. I now download in CSV format. If you're a spreadsheet person (fairly sure you are!), you can then sort & search in different ways. It also allows adding newer downloaded files to be added to existing spreadsheets very easily. I also just realised (slow learner), that there's an email button available when composing new PMs. It's tedious to use as it asks you to type in an email address but helps by by keeping your sent messages in your email client as well as incoming PMs.

Alas, none of the methods allow you to keep the original formatting... pity! I've looked at using download as XML but haven't worked through it yet. Any hints from the power users out there?

Back