Manufacturer's Seconds Coming...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Loftis

KKF Vendor
Reaction score
I've got about 25 one-offs and manufacturer's seconds waiting to be photographed and listed on the website. I'm going to try to get at least the first set of them on the website today. Many of the seconds are really nice, and I've got a good variety of sizes and species this time. Feel free to email me if you have specific wants and I'll try to take care of you ahead of the fray.

I might also clean out some really old stuff for cheap that has been sitting on the shelf for years. Old prototypes etc.

I'll post some pics here once I take them.

You should see plenty of traffic on them too! Just saw your boards recommended in a certain cooking magazine.
Yeah it was nice to get the recommendation. Still working on the photo editing, so it might be a bit longer for the seconds. Trying to carve out time to get things uploaded.

First batch of boards uploaded and listed here: http://www.theboardsmith.com/product-category/butchers-blocks/specials-seconds/

My photo editing skills are awful. Sorry about the quality.
IMG_6723.jpg
IMG_6725.jpg
IMG_6726.jpg
IMG_6727.jpg
IMG_6728.jpg
IMG_6729.jpg
IMG_6730.jpg
IMG_6731.jpg
IMG_6732.jpg
IMG_6735.jpg

Those look great - how do you define a ‘second’?
Thanks! I like to think that our 'seconds' are nicer than most companys' 'firsts', but maybe that's hubris on my part. A couple of the boards pictured are one-offs rather than seconds.

Normally, a second is cosmetic rather than structural. So a Frankenboard (board comprised of mix and match strips of wood rather than perfectly sequenced), or maybe big mineral streaks, or sometimes if I just don't think the board is attractive.

If the board is under 2", I will generally sell that as a second.

Occasionally, I will sell a board with structural issues as a second, but I generally don't. For example, I have a gorgeous 16 X 22 walnut right now. One of the center strips of wood didn't get fully sanded before glue-up, so there's a hairline gap in the middle of the board. My worker tried filling it with black epoxy. It will be fine, structurally, but I can't sell that. So it's sitting at my house. I sometimes look at it and cry softly.

If there are structural issues, I try very hard to be up front about them in the description, and they will get an enormous discount, normally.

Thank you, now those are some serious standards.

Btw, for the sake of your peace of mind I can take that board off your hands - will even sand away your maker’s mark if that would make it all better :D

Thank you, now those are some serious standards.

Btw, for the sake of your peace of mind I can take that board off your hands - will even sand away your maker’s mark if that would make it all better :D

DM me your address. You pay shipping and it's yours. :)

I can't say enough positive things about John and his cutting boards. I was able to meet up with him in person to collect my board and you won't find a more humble and talented person. He is truly passionate about his craft. Although, I did try to convince him to do some handles for my knives and I'm still waiting to see if he will take me up on my offer lol.

Back