Map of Japan showing where the Knife Makers are.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Barr

Reaction score
Is there any map that shows where the blacksmiths are located.
I have a chance of meeting some associates in Japan & should like to be able to plan visits whilst there to bladesmiths - having a map with locations would maximise use of time I know that the fish market offers many good knives in Tokyo but my trip would be enriched by meeting bladesmiths .
I know that I could find each address of makers & mapping them but perhaps someone has already started this.Obviously any possible visits to them would probable be best upon request.

Maps like this present a huge problem, as most workshops aren't set up or ok with visitors... please call them first

I'm actually surprised anyone would think they could just drop in on a workshop where there's furnaces, power hammers, etc. I'm assuming Japan has OSHA rules similiar to those in the USA - does anyone know if this is the case?

If nothing else it would give you an idea where some concentrations are. I'm not too proud to admit I'm trying to find a vacation company that offers translators and maybe a sword/knive maker focus. Unfortunately I have exactly zero Japanese connections.

Maps like this present a huge problem, as most workshops aren't set up or ok with visitors... please call them first

Totally agree with this...

I was in Sakai last year when I was at Susin to pick up a knife... Thought I would drop by Sakai Takayuki to have a look.. it's just a house/shops with closed doors/windows. They are not places designed for retail customers unless you have contacts that can get you through the door

It is embarrassing to take guests in conditions where you cannot be a proper host. Not just a Japanese thing.

Many thanks.
I will be attempting to contact the makers of interest firstly I completely understand the need to be overly polite I was brought up that way down to a private education at boarding schools.. A few people have said that it is not a good idea to go out there unless one has an understanding of the language etc but if I wait to tick all the boxes I will never go.
The map allows me to start to research makers in a geographical order & gives me the chance to start a dialogue one can only ask even if only a small percentage are prepared to open a dialogue it is a start.

I'm not too proud to admit I'm trying to find a vacation company that offers translators and maybe a sword/knive maker focus. Unfortunately I have exactly zero Japanese connections.

Murray Carter runs a 10 day tour in October that culminates with a visit to the Seki City Annual Knife/Cutlery Show.
This would be as knife focused as you can get
Details are on his site.

On my last trip to Kyoto in March, I visited the Shigeharu shop a few blocks south of Nijo castle.
The workshop is behind the retail store so you probably won't see it, but you can hear it while your shopping.
I did get to meet the 24th generation blade smith. He helped me select a knife, upgraded the handle and engraved our names.
He also gave me some sharpening hints and even drew a picture of the grind to show the urasuki and 90/10 bevel.
Highly recommended.

Back