Mareko Maumasi Blade - Looking for some help/info

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking to get some feedback from any/all folks who have/own/played with a Maumasi knife in the last few years. I am NOT LOOKING to get into a discussion about cost/better/worse/etc.

I have a forge date coming up and it would help me a great deal if I could (maybe privately) discuss your thoughts ...

Primarily - I use WA handles but Mareko's Western "looks" great just curious if owners think the same ...
Damascus pattern is something that I will figure out but if you have sent him burl to use or not just wondering if that is a good/bad idea ....

This is (for me) a once in a life time kinda thing so I treat is as such.

Any help would be appreciated.

v/r,

Tom

You've probably already seen/heard this, but just in case...

Mareko does not have positive things to say about drivers in Connecticut.

Mareko is great to work with. I sent him a block of ringed gidgee, and he made a beautiful western handle for the integral Damascus Gyuto he made for me. His western handles are great for my hands, which are size 7. Beautiful and functional art.

I’ll second Maumasi’s western coke bottle handles- super comfortable, and very beautiful! He has access to some very beautiful woods, but if you have a special piece that means something to you or just a strong preference, why not use it- will just make the knife that much more special.

One thing I would advise though, his bolsters are a bit unique. I’m not a big pinch grip guy, but they seem particularly designed for that. AS I said though, I find them good in other grips as well. The thing about them though is that they prevent his knives from being put in most knife locks, so if it were me, I would ask him to make a saya to match, or at least compliment, your handle. I mention it, because it may also impact your wood selection. Last time I spoke with Mareko, he was designing a special knife block to accommodate his bolsters, but I have no idea if he has produced such a thing yet. If not, you will likely getting a saya one way or another, either from him or your favorite saya maker.

Enjoy the experience though; Mareko’s a great guy and participating in the knife making process will definitely be an awesome life experience.

I too would love to hear your thoughts about it when you finish.

By the way, I have a couple of his damascus blades but also a honyaki monosteel. Maybe you’re set on the damascus concept, which will definitely be cool, but the hamon on his honyaki I have is also very handsome. Whether it’s geometry or something else, that one is also the best cutter of the three, though they are all great performers. Good luck and enjoy!

I have a Maumasi d-handle and the Japanese cowboy (faceted-western), they operate pretty similarly. The Japanese cowboy is nice and slim looking down at the spine, and the belly doesn't fill my smaller than average hands. Mareko will only use very well stabilized wood, unless its like an ironwood(doesn't need stabilizing) from a reputable source. Id definitely recommend his s grind.

Back