Mark’s Little Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markcg

Reaction score
Thought I’d start posting some of my knives here. Thanks KKF for throwing me headfirst down the rabbit hole, and to all the members who’ve been so generous with their time and advice- you guys are seriously awesome!

I’ll start with my three amigos, a trio of Kato 240 KU Gyutos. Left and right are the standard B2s (right has the kao kanji, originally from Morihei). Middle was bought used, with the handle replaced. Profile is less tall and longer than the newer B2s, and was originally purchased from Kikuhide Ginza as a white steel. Haven’t used the BNIB ones, but love how the middle cuts. I prefer beefier profiles on my gyuto 🐄 :)

24C53AD8-70E0-48A2-BC83-3D5137187B90.jpeg
8D4B1227-44F7-4E65-A35D-D6CE533BFB0E.jpeg
42ABFF0C-F91C-44E3-8CAD-BA127C936782.jpeg

Thought I’d follow the trend with a 3 amigos post! I’ll post more photos later- just sent the honyaki off for a custom handle.

315 Tamahagane Honyaki Yanagiba
365 Watetsu Clad Tamahagane Takohiki Sakimaru
330 Blue2 Kasumi Yanagiba

Ps: anyone want to sell me a dammy/kikuryu single bevel? :)

F7C06F58-1405-4311-AA69-6036A12BD636.jpeg

Thought I’d follow the trend with a 3 amigos post! I’ll post more photos later- just sent the honyaki off for a custom handle.

315 Tamahagane Honyaki Yanagiba
365 Watetsu Clad Tamahagane Takohiki Sakimaru
330 Blue2 Kasumi Yanagiba

Ps: anyone want to sell me a dammy/kikuryu single bevel? :)

View attachment 119586

Wowwwww
Holy trinity!!!!

so I’m new to this and want to know what makes these three special? The maker? Steel? Why refer to as the holy trinity?

The two on the left are definitely special, and the one in the right is less rare. The tamahagane and watetsu Kato Kiyoshi uses is from his family’s collection, some of which is generations old, making the two on the left special in terms of material and rarity. The one on the right is his standard blue steel Yanagiba at a rarer length. Lots of information on Kato on the forums, and his process is his highly regarded, whether you agree with the current pricing or not. If I could find a Damascus or kikuryu single bevel, it would truly be the holy trinity.

So the knives in the left are generations old? I’m sorry for my ignorance. I don’t know anything about Japanese knife makers. It’s amazing to me people instant recognize a steel or maker etc. it’s all Greek to me.

So the knives in the left are generations old? I’m sorry for my ignorance. I don’t know anything about Japanese knife makers. It’s amazing to me people instant recognize a steel or maker etc. it’s all Greek to me.
No the core steel and Watetsu iron is ancestral stock, stated to be 100 years old. The knives themselves are recent manufacture.

Last edited:

The steel and iron used to make the knives on the left are old, smelted from a tarara (traditional Japanese furnace) where iron sand is combined into tamahagane and watetsu. This is how steel and iron is and has been produced for the forging of Japanese swords. Kato is a licensed sword smith, as was his father, and the steel from his family’s collection, one would hope, reflects this. Many outfits claim sword smith lineage, but most are generations removed from actual production. Family records in Japan are very well kept, so being the 7th generation of so and so isn’t as meaningful as it might be in other contexts.

So through the steel and iron were smelted a long time ago, the knives are new. Kato engraves the forge dates on the tangs of his single bevels, and the honyaki on the left was forged just two months ago (as was the knife on the right). The sakimaru in the middle is from a few years ago.

Updated family photo of my JNats.

From top left counter clockwise:
Ohira shiro suita
Ohira kiiro sunashi suita
Nakayama karasu suita
Shoubudani sunashi suita
Natsuya
Blue aoto
Aizu
Uchigomori
Ozuku
Ohira tomae
Shoubudani

My faves right now are the sunashi suitas- so forgiving to my amateur polishing skills.

EF6E4BA7-D34E-4837-B084-EAC6BD50CA4B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back